Sold the iPhone 4...bought a 3GS...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So my friend came to me the other day and told me that he was seeing the iPhone 4's selling on eBay for crazy prices during the holidays...i checked it out myself and got a little bug inside me that said "Do it Sean! Take advantage of this spike in value!"

So i did...i put it on eBay and within a few hours someone had used Buy It Now for $625 (i sold it straight up with no jailbreak or anything, and the Belkin case i've had on it since the first week i bought it). I was more than a little excited, since i could, essentially go back and buy a brand new iPhone 4 and profit $25, but i decided against it and went on Craigslist and bought a 3GS (white 32GB)...got it for $350 so ended up making $275 off the whole deal...

After having this 3GS for a few days over the Xmas holiday, i have to say that while the screen does looked washed out compared to the retina display, and the pictures are certainly no where near the quality of the iP4's, i'm not all that disappointed, and i don't really miss the iPhone 4 all that much. I seem to get about the same reception i got before (though my tethering seems much faster for some reason, maybe its the locations im in, who knows...), and the phone honestly feels like its functioning at about the same level as my iPhone 4 did...no noticeable lag or glitchy performance.

So with that said, i am again a 3GS owner (and i got a white one like i always wanted, but never got back when the 3GS was a hot commodity)...and to be 100% honest, im still just as happy with the 3GS.

Anyone else downgrade from iP4 back to 3GS? Experience?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Washed out. Fuzzy text. No thanks.

You lose the HD recording, blackflash, retina screen, gyro, better camera, front camera, dual mic noise supression, HSUPA (or the improved upload speeds), wireless n, half the ram, batter life, processor speed...

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Screw that. Might as well go back to horse and carriage. While some people may not be able to afford a new i4 and purchase a 3Gs instead, I think it's crazy to get an i4 and then downgrade. Now if money is tight and you can make a few hundred bucks....well then yeah.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If he's happy with the 3GS then so be it. Sure the iPhone 4 is "magical" but who cares. Why get so worked up over someone's buying decesions? He owns the phone. Not you.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If he's happy with the 3GS then so be it. Sure the iPhone 4 is "magical" but who cares. Why get so worked up over someone's buying decesions? He owns the phone. Not you.

No one is "worked up" about it. He sought opinions on his decision. But at least he netted himself a few hundred.

Guess what we all have in common besides you? We've owned the devices.

boss75

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I could downgrade from the iPhone 4. The retina display is just too beautiful for me to use something else.

My mother got an iPad for Christmas and just looking at that screen I was missing the display on the iPhone 4.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I dont blame people for thinking it's a dumb idea...if you had asked me a month ago (before i saw the prices they were going for) i would have agreed 110%. And while im not hurting for money at all, i was just curious if the phone would sell for what i was seeing...and in a blink of an eye it did. I was never overly attached to the iP4, i loved it, and felt it was THE best iphone there has been, but when it came down to it...i never really used the front camera for anything other than facetime (which i have used less and less lately), the download times are negligible because i almost NEVER download anything outside of a wifi area...

I will miss the display, this display doesnt hold a candle to it...but its also not some unusable screen either, its just "not as good". I actually own a Canon 7D so as far as the HD filming, i rarely used it anyways (except on the fly, which again, was rare). Truth be told, i went through ALOT of thinking before i put it on eBay, and it came down to a fact that the features it has i didnt use as much as i thought i did, and while awesome, i wanted to make a good profit off of the phone before next years comes out (i didnt do this with the last 3GS i had and i ended up selling it cheap)...who knows, i might buy another one later, we'll see...i actually prefer having the 32GB storage so if that happens, i will deff be getting the bigger model.

Anyways...not really looking for people's opinions on MY choice really, but i welcome them either way...i was just curious if anyone else had done it, and if they felt the same way i do or they totally regretted it...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I should also add that my wife thought i was insane...and while she did think the 32GB 3GS was cool, she just said "You will do what you want to do...but i think you'll regret it." 4 days in, im still not feeling that way, but you guys may have a post from my wife about me on the ledge of a building at some point... ;)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I should also add that my wife thought i was insane...and while she did think the 32GB 3GS was cool, she just said "You will do what you want to do...but i think you'll regret it." 4 days in, im still not feeling that way, but you guys may have a post from my wife about me on the ledge of a building at some point... ;)
Hey man very interesting I understand your points and since the iPhone is honestly a want and not a need since there are so MANY alternatives I understand what you're saying. Me on the other hand I wouldn't sell my 4 for anything I love it but maybe that's because I'm coming from a 3G instead of a 3Gs. I will def be selling my phone months before the new model launches but not before. I tried to sell my iPad, to fund the upcoming 2.0 and since it was christmas and it would be in demand. However after two days I changed my mind, I just couldn't do it lol

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought the 3GS was awesome, until I got the 4, and now any non-retina screen looks like crap to me. There is NFW I could go from a 4 to a 3GS.

To each his own, I guess.

JamesC1119

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If I needed the money I would swap my 4 in for a 3GS in a heart beat (I would probably cancel all together). Other than that, while I loved my 3GS when I had it the 4 is such a huge improvement IMO that I would not change.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Since I have mine i4 jailbroken I might see if I could sell it to net a few hundred bucks and just go buy a new one full retail lol

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't really sold on the retina display until I got my iPhone 4 and used it for awhile. Now, I can't stand the display on my old 3GS. It looks gray and blah to me now-but i thought it was just fine when I was using it before the 4.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Chris, there's a difference between stating your own opinion and criticizing the opinions of others which were asked for. I don't have a personal problem with you but it seems like a lot of people do so you might want to stop being rude.

Anyway.. I feel like I really couldn't do that for a profit of only $300. I'd have to get a lot of profit in order to go back to 320x480 and go without my front facing camera.

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I was playing with my wife's iP3GS for an hour yesterday and realized that aside from the screen difference speed wise it felt the same to me. I personally wouldn't downgrade however if my ip4 were lost broken or stolen I think I would be content with the 3GS.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
What a ridiculous, crazy thing to do.

But I applaud your left-field thinking. You still have an iPhone and money. And if you get bored of the 3GS, you only have to wait until summer for the iPhone 5. That's pretty cool, man.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit