How can I test the iPhone 4's Gyro?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I started having some issues with my iPhone 4 recently, and now I'm starting to think that the gyro may have gone bad.

First of all, back in October, something started making a rattling sound inside my iPhone 4. After a few weeks of it not going away, though also not have any noticable issue, I finally called Apple and made an appointment at their store. The Tech or Genius or whatever said that it was probably the little spinning thing on the vibration motor, and said his did the same thing. Now SEVERAL other people that I know who have iPhone 4's DO NOT have any sounds remotely similar to mine, thought the Tech guy at Apple said his phone did it too, and I did hear it making the same noise.

So the other day, I'm out an about, and I see this star in the sky, and I'm all like "Effin' schweet!! I wonder what star or other planetary body that could possibly be???!!!" and so I pulled out my iPhone 4 and started my Star Map App. Fully expecting it to automatically find my position and track to the star in question (like it normally does), it just sat there like a steaming turd and didn't to a darned thing!!

So now I'm back to worrying about that rattling noise inside my iPhone 4 and I don't have any other apps that I can actually test the Gyro with. So I wanted to know if anyone could make any suggestions of how I can actually test out the Gyro?

Please help and MANY thanks in advance!

doug1820

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Gyroscope App

Hey,

I found this application on the app store, what you need to so is run the app, and set your iPhone 4 on a flat surface, your x and y values should be minimal but fluctuating. Also if you have Real Racing, try driving in the app, if you find it difficult, this is tell tale sign of Gyroscopic failure.

The App is called Gyroscope and displays the image of a Gyroscope as its icon.

search "gyroscope" in the app store should be free

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Go back in to Apple and get them to have another look. Tell them the story about the Star and ask them to run a Behaviour Scan. Personally I would expect a replacement phone or at least a solution to my problem and not just 'yeah mine does that'.

FXC

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
You should really try another app; otherwise I'd send you back home if I were a genius. Have you tried other apps?

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Try installing the "Sensor Monitor" app. It's free and shows the operation of the accelerometer, gyroscope, etc...give it a shot.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I went ahead and tried the Gryoscope app, as well as Eliminate Gun Range Free, and both seemed to work normally. Afterward, I went back and played round with the Star Map App and finally got it working on a limited basis. Sometimes it seems to work, other times, not. One thing I thought of is that maybe Star Map got updated to a 4.2 compatible version, and I still haven't updated my iOS yet and thought that might cause some issues too. I also messed around with the settings in the App, but didn't really see anthing that jumped out at me as to a control setting for the Gyro. I also thought that maybe Star Map wasn't finding my GPS location, but when testing it outside, it seemed to pick up the GPS signal ok. Google Maps GPSworks perfectly.

I did a power off and also a hard reset, and afterward that's when Star Map started to respond, but it still seemed a bit intermittent, though I'll have to do some more testing.

Since the other Gyro apps worked, I'm thinking the issue might lie elsewhere. Thanks again to all who responded!

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If you still have that little rattling noise when u shake it i'd still say that you should keep an eye on it. Although I just shook mine and the buttons rattle... simple question but its not that is it??

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2