Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

2 Posts

Default Re: iphone 4 acting wierd or normal?

i have an iphone 4 32gb which was given to me as a replacement by apple. the iphone is factory unlocked although i havent seen any messages on itunes saying "your iphone is unlocked"

the problem is.

each time i put a new sim in the Iphone e.g t mobile, 02, orange, i have to connect it to itunes to activate the phone, and after its activated that sim will work. each sim that is inserted in the iphone and has been trhough the activation stage can be used again and again without activating again however if i put a new sim in it i have to activate it again.

i assumed if a Iphone is unlocked once activated once you can pop any sim card in it without having to go through the hassle of activating for each sim.

is my iphone acting normal for a factory unlocked iphone?

my mate has an iphone 4 factory unlocked but his can take any sim without having to connect to itunes.

any help would be really appreciated

12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Quick search online showed that this is normal...i also found this thread which has a couple of solutions to this situation, but it requires a jailbreak on both "fixes". Personally, i'd say the reconnection to iTunes would be a very small inconvenience, and you wouldn't have to worry about push notifications being screwed up or troublesome...but that's just me, i'd rather spend a few minutes doing a proper SIM switch through iTunes instead of hacking into it and risking...well...anything.

Here's the thread btw...

How To Fix "different Sim Card Detected" - xSellize
    iMore Intermediate

279 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Yeah agreed. Mine is unlocked and I am currently switching between SIM's (becasue of local network problems). I think it is to do with the carrier settings being applied to the phone.