one thing I like about android

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I LOVE my iPhone 4...my brother-in-law has a droid and I like his google maps navigation app. Is there a way to get that on our phones. Our map navigation is ok but doesn't give voice notifications and doesn't update as you go along the route.

Redbird1

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Google maps was nice to have. However, If you had the Samsung Fascinate like I did, you were waiting at least 1 minute for the GPS to get a lock on your location. Minor inconvenience.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
yeah his Droid was pretty quick with the GPS lock-on...any chance we will ever get the Google Maps like the droids?

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
oh yeah. I have an EVO and the navigation app came standard and I like how the UI looked more like a GPS unit you would get from Garman or Tom Tom. If you mount it on your dashboard, you want nice large buttons and clear crisp navigation controls so you can focus on the road rather the device.

Unfortunately I don't think there is. You could try the TOM TOM app, but I think you need to be subscribed, as with Google its free. Maybe Apple will open up, or at least improve their GPS in iOS 5.

In case anyone is wondering. Here is what it looks like

google_maps_navigation_2.jpg

Last edited:

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
That's the only thing I'll miss about having an Android device: Google Navigation. Type or speak your destination, and when you arrive the map switches to street view. But I LOVE my iPhone.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
That's the only thing I'll miss about having an Android device: Google Navigation. Type or speak your destination, and when you arrive the map switches to street view. But I LOVE my iPhone.

Well the only other thing that I miss is the 24 hour window to return apps that you don't like. But I agree with everyone else the free Google maps navigation apps is pretty cool.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why a person would be stuck with envy over a navi app on a phone like the android, when there are endless options to both free and paid navi apps on the iPhone is beyond me. I've had MotionX since it came out, using it with or without voice guidance has been perfect, and it cost basically nothing @ $20 for a year...

No offense to droid owners, the google navi app is a nice feature, but iPhone owners who want navigation of any sort have PLENTY of options ranging from free to about $1.50/month, lol...if you cant swing that, sell your iPhone.

phanzo

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Mapquest has a pretty solid iPhone app that provides voice-guided navigation for FREE. I have always HATED Mapquest's setup on desktop machines, but I am quite impressed by the iPhone app, especially for the price. It's really easy to use and has a lot of great in-app features like Live Traffic that updates every 5 minutes as well as very easy ways to show anything from bars and restuarants to airports and gas stations. It also has Auto Re-Route, which is a GREAT feature that is missing from Google Maps. Like I said, I have ALWAYS been a Google Maps fan, but when I go somewhere that I am unfamilar with or am driving in bad traffic, I don't hesitate to open up Mapquest instead of Google.

One warning: Using the Mapquest app tends to use a lot of data. I downgraded my data plan from unlimited to 2GB. Last month I used the MQ app for a couple long road trips and a few days later got an email saying that I was nearing the limit of my data plan (although I continued to use my phone like normal and never went over the 2GB, so the "heads-up" email is sent LONG before you actually run out of data). Not THAT big of a deal, but just a heads up. AT&T only charges $10 when you exceed the 2GB though and that gives you another whole GB to use, which is WAY cheaper than purchasing many of the other Navi apps.

Long story short: This app is free and it WORKS. I've yet to have any real problems with it. Yes it could do some things better, but for FREE voice-guided nav with a TON of built-in features, this is a no-brainer. Download, give it a shot, you may be suprised by how useful it is and how well it works.

(and NO, I DO NOT work for Mapquest. Like I said, until I tried this app I HATED them. Things have changed, that's for sure.)

Enjoy

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Well on Andoid you can speak ANYTHING and it will find it, not just "play John mayer" or "Call home". though I'm sure Apple will come around.

Not interested in navigation apps. I know where I am going.

Better, or she'll get angry :D

Well the only other thing that I miss is the 24 hour window to return apps that you don't like. But I agree with everyone else the free Google maps navigation apps is pretty cool.

+1

I bought what I thought was cut the rope on my EVO only to find out it was a background. I got my refund of 99 cents. (Not a biggie, but still)

Why a person would be stuck with envy over a navi app on a phone like the android, when there are endless options to both free and paid navi apps on the iPhone is beyond me. I've had MotionX since it came out, using it with or without voice guidance has been perfect, and it cost basically nothing @ $20 for a year...

Because people get their money sucked out enough. Plus its free, and you can't argue with free.

No offense to droid owners, the google navi app is a nice feature, but iPhone owners who want navigation of any sort have PLENTY of options ranging from free to about $1.50/month, lol...if you cant swing that, sell your iPhone.

I think it has to do with not having to learn a whole new system. Some, like my self want the app to behave like a GPS unit rather then just an app.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
MotionX behaves exactly like my old Tom Tom, which is about as dummy proof as you can get. Simple interface and menu. To be honest, i found it much easier to use than my little sisters google navigation, which i messed with over the thanksgiving holiday. If it required any sort of effort to use, id question why that person has a smart phone to begin with?

As far as the "money sucked out", like i said, at $1.50/month...if you cant swing that, what are you doing with an iPhone in the first place? Would i be happy if it was free and performed the same? Sure! But i spend more on coffee in ONE DAY than this costs me in a month...we are talking pennies here people, not stress altering sums of cash.