Switching my iPhone from my Mac to my PC - Need help!

iAddict

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all:

I took my iPhone that was originally synced to my PC and re-synced to my Mac a month or so back. At the time I was afraid of any loss of info or erasure so I picked options when re-sync-ing that left ties to my PC going.

My Mac then synced my contacts, photos, and voice memos, but now I noticed it will NOT allow me to add new music or manipulate the music in my iPhone.

I need to know how to make my iPhone work with my Mac. I willing to make my Mac my main point of sync now. Also, can texts be backed up?

:confused:

metalmike

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
you neec to select transfer purchases under secondary clicking your iphone in itunes so you can back-up your apps then youll need to sync the iphone and erase all data off of it to be able to transfer music with you mac

iAddict

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
you neec to select transfer purchases under secondary clicking your iphone in itunes so you can back-up your apps then youll need to sync the iphone and erase all data off of it to be able to transfer music with you mac

Erase data? Meaning texts, voice recordings? NOOOOOO!!!! I need them. I can erase apps or music - no worries - but not my personal goodies!

Any other ways?

ritav

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I just had to do the same thing with my iPhone and my new laptop. Yes......erasing seems scary buts it's really not. I did not lose existing text messages or voice recordings. I did lose all the music that I copied from cd but if I ever wanted to sync to iTunes again I had to do it. In the end.... all of my apps are still in place and I didn't lose anything but non iTunes purchased music.

iAddict

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys

I know this is a newbie question - but can you offer me a step by step set of instructions such that I execute this safely without ruining all the texts and precious personal material in my phone?

ritav

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok....it sounds like itunes did an initial sync with your MAC for your contacts , photos, etc. That's fine. It will likely sync again when you plug in your iphone.

Here is what I did to resolve my music issue:

1) Open iTunes and plug in your phone. Wait for iTunes to recognize your phone in the left column.
2) Then you will need to transfer new iphone music and app purchases that may be on your phone to iTunes on your Mac. Go to File-Transfer purchases from iPod/iPhone.

This will transfer any music or apps that you bought from your phone.

3) Once that is done, click on your iPhone in the left hand column and on the Summary Tab and check the box that says "Manually manage music and videos". Then select Apply.

Now.....after that....a message box will pop up and ask you if you really want to do this because it is going to erase all of the music and videos off of your iphone. Confirm that you want to do this and then iTunes will go ahead and clean all of the music off of your iphone. Again.....it is going to remove your music and videos from your iphone.

After that is done.........simply go to your Music library in iTunes and manually click and drag your existing music and videos over to your iPhone.

As I said....I had to go through this myself if I ever wanted to sync my music to my new iTunes account on my new laptop. I lost quite a bit of music that I had to reload from Cd's but at least I can sync with confidence now.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So you have both a Mac and PC? You could sign in to iTunes on both machines and setup homesharing then select the Mac to pickup Music. Then you can transfer all the music from your computer to your Mac's library. They have to be on the same network. Then when you connect the iPhone to the Mac it will say it's going to delete but all the music will be on your Mac anyway so just re-sync everything back to the phone. The sync will not do anything about texts only reloading the phone's firmware would ever mess up your texts.