iPhone/iPad & Slingbox vs Vulkano Monsoon

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I am looking for a working solution to watch my DirecTV on my iPhone and iPad. I have been looking at the Slingbox Pro HD for a while and finally ordered one on Tuesday and recieved it today. Right now, it is in the box waiting to be opened.

I've seen reviews online of teh new Vulkano Monsoon. It's much cheaper which is nice, but some of the features are also good.

What experience have you all had with either?

I have a 20/10mb cable connection at home and most of the places where I will be have the same speed and I'll stream with WiFi.

Later down the road, it will be nice to throw the media to a TV that I can not run a cable to.

Thanks for your input.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The Monsoon does look nice. Of course once you buy the Platinum you've spent as much as a Slingbox anyway. On the other hand...no need for AppleTV if you have one of these babies.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The Monsoon Platinum is only $150 compared to the $250 I paid for the Slingbox. In addition, if I order before 12/05, I can get two Platinum's for $200 (saving $100). Not that I need an extra.

Anyone interested in buying the second from me if I take that route? $100 + apx $15 for S&H.

Thanks.

Beryl

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I purchased 2 Vulkano Platinums for $200 during the Black Friday sale. Although I have 2 HD TiVos and a Slingbox HD Pro, I've been disenchanted with how these companies abandon their existing customers by only supporting their newest products. The Tivo HD has been out for less than 2 years but their new iPad app can only be used with their newest 2010 TiVo. If we wanted to invest in new DVRs every year, we'd be better off renting from a service provider.

My Vulkano Review:

Although there are lots of typical bleeding-edge bugs, the setup was as easy or easier than the SB It is wireless so there is no need for a "Slinglink" which is required if your SB is not wired to your router. Port-forwarding was done transparently.

The picture on the free iPad player is far superior to the Slingplayer iPhone app on the iPad and decent on my laptops.

(In April, Slingmedia told me to purchase the iPhone version and upgrade my SB to the HD Pro so I can Sling to my iPad. I upgraded for $250 but the HD Pro is only necessary to use the new iPad version that wasn't available at that time. They took $250 under false pretenses and now they want another $30 for the iPad specific app. Not happening.)

The Vulkano Platinum will record to SD cards (now to find the largest one possible). Their Electronic Programming Guide is what enables you to schedule recordings. No need to pay Tivo $10-20 per month for that privilege and no need to rent a DVR from your provider.

The only "Internet app" on the Vulkano available now is YouTube. You cannot log on to access your own favorites but it does provide the Most Viewed, Featured, and Top Rated videos.

You can't go wrong with the Vulkano if you are on a budget and willing to suffer new-adopter glitches. They combine the best features of a Slingbox and Tivo for a one-time-price. I hope this company successfully eats into Slingmedia and Tivo's marketshare so both will start respecting their existing customers.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I decided it sounded great and ordered two. Should be here Monday, one for me, one for my son. I'm very excited about it.

cagey#IM

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Vulkano Platinum

I purchased the Platinum package getting 2 for $100.00. I had a Hava previously and was one of the first to do so years ago. It has worked flawlessly. I have a MacBookPro and using Parallels could not boot directly into Windows. The Hava did not perform well on the Mac in that mode so I bought the Vulkano. It has a better picture and works well on Mac and on windows through Parallels. The picture is great and it streams at between 1.5 and 2mbs. The Hava only streamed at 900kbs tops. I think the 2 for $200.00 expired on 12/5. It is a great bargain. One other thing. Buy the Platinum and add the SD card or hard drive yourself. You will save $$$$.
Cagey

musichighc_2

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
ques for those that have purchased i'm an old slingbox user and use because i have to get a newer box. Is this product as good as slingbox?

hopper

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine this week and so far it beats the Sling 6 ways to Sunday.

How is the picture quality relative to bandwidth? I just upgraded my Sling to an HD Pro (old classic not supported) a few months ago. :-( Gotta say, the new iPhone software they rolled out last week really does improve the picture quality.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
All I know is during last week's football game, my daughter used my Slingbox as a radio because the picture was so bad, granted that was before the update. Picture quality on the Vulkano is stellar.

But the Slingbox can't do what the Vulkano does - offer the same streaming service with half the bother, and the ability to save your shows in digital format to either stream later, or actually load to your device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2