I'm ready for the iPhone 4, but...

slr_noob

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the market for a iPhone 4 since my Blackberry Bold 9000 has a half-dead speaker (just decided to become half as loud for no apparent reason).

I recently found out the iPhone 4 "retina" display is actually a IPS screen, which is cool. I have the unlimited data plan since the Bold so that's going to be awesome.

On the other hand, however, I'm somewhat torn based on a suggestion that probably make sense (at least it does from a friend of mine). The question is if you never used data plan on a phone before, is it sensible to get a iPad with 3G instead of the iPhone 4? They both essentially do the same thing except the phone part of it. The iPad has a 4x bigger screen, so everything will look better depending on what your point of view is (user interface, certain videos, etc).

What do you guys think? Your inputs are appreciated.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Whether or not you've used a data plan before is irrelevant - do you need a phone? If so, get the iPhone. If not, don't.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Whether or not you've used a data plan before is irrelevant - do you need a phone? If so, get the iPhone. If not, don't.

+1

iphone and ipad are not interchangeable devices in a sense that you cannot walk around with the ipad in your pocket or make calls from it easily.

iphone is a fantastic convergence in technology which allows you to have your cake and eat it too (a phone, a full web experience and games and other goodies all in one small efficient package).

p.s this is my first iphone as well just jumped over from the bb crowd had a 9700.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have both, as a lot of users here do too, and I can tell you they are both great in their own rights. My iPad is WiFi. I did not find the need to get a 3G one since I am always around something with Wifi. If you need something I would get the phone first then get the iPad later on.

FunkyDog

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Alli is right. Data plan has nothing to do with it. I jumped ship from a Storm2 to an iPhone4 and is still happy until today.
Note that you will have to switch your data plans as your BlackBerry runs on BIS and operates on a different port. But you will realise that running data on an iPhone is much more convenient as it works on any generic UMA connection whereas the BlackBerry requires it to be connected to a BIS which is a pain in the arse at times, especially when you roam overseas and it may cost quite a lot.
I'd stick with an iPhone rather than an iPad, as functionality is obviously there. You may also wish to invest in a MiFi device (like a Huawei E585) to have portable wifi wherever you go, and if you have this, you don't need an iPad with 3G anymore. This was on one of Verizon'd plans.
Good luck and do post your decision.

slr_noob

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That was a good call. Thanks.

Now, does anyone know if there are pre-paid microSIM card in other countries? I somewhat doubt there is such thing, but I can still use my BB as a regular phone just in case (not intended to use with data).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
FYI...you will not carry over the unlimited data plan when they set you up on the iPhone 4, as it has a totally different data plan (on paper anyways lol).

But as was already said, if you need a phone, get the iPhone...im not a big iPad fan because it hasnt shown me it can do anything my iPhone cant and it hasnt shown me enough to replace either of my macs with so i personally go with the iPhone regardless.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI...you will not carry over the unlimited data plan when they set you up on the iPhone 4, as it has a totally different data plan (on paper anyways lol).

Not sure what carriers you are all on, but AT&T carried over my unlimited data from BB to iPhone plan.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Did you switch before the unlimited data plan was eliminated? I'm also with AT&T, my sister is as well, but had a BB curve with unlimited data, she went and bought an iPhone 4, and they specifically told her that the iPhone data plans are a completely separate entity and that the BB data plan does not grandfather you into the unlimited iPhone plan.

This is not the only case i have heard of this, my wife actually was almost screwed over by this because she has both an iPhone and BB pearl with AT&T (for work purposes), they tried to transfer her BB account when we got our iP4's but thankfully she caught it and it wasnt processed.

slr_noob

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Did you switch before the unlimited data plan was eliminated? I'm also with AT&T, my sister is as well, but had a BB curve with unlimited data, she went and bought an iPhone 4, and they specifically told her that the iPhone data plans are a completely separate entity and that the BB data plan does not grandfather you into the unlimited iPhone plan.

This is not the only case i have heard of this, my wife actually was almost screwed over by this because she has both an iPhone and BB pearl with AT&T (for work purposes), they tried to transfer her BB account when we got our iP4's but thankfully she caught it and it wasnt processed.

That is interesting. Almost everywhere I go says I can keep the unlimited data plan. I'll have to ask again or else I may not go for the iPhone.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd simply try to do it before asking questions, its very possible that the few cases i've seen were simply douche bag AT&T store employees trying to force the switch to the limited plan, no sense in bringing attention to it, perhaps that is where the issue takes place and they'll usually just switch the unlimited over no problem.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
@SeanHRCC The unlimited plan will carry over from any smartphone on at&t. Wife and I both had BlackBerry devices and swapped to the iPhone 4 after the unlimited plan was gone....we still have unlimited.

to the OP, wife and I both had the BlackBerry 9000, then the BlackBerry 9700 and now both have the iPhone 4. You will not be sorry you made the switch.

Also you can buy a new midplate from cnn.cn for 13 bucks. It is super easy to replace and will fix your speaker issue. Not that I don't want to see you happy with an iPhone 4, but you may want to increase resale value or pass it on to a family member or a friend.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
FYI...you will not carry over the unlimited data plan when they set you up on the iPhone 4, as it has a totally different data plan (on paper anyways lol)..

Yes you will. As long as you don't cancel you should be grandfathered in.

Its nice to have unlimited data. Pay a bit more but don't have to worry about how much data you use. Since owning my EVO on the 5th of November I used 546,940Kb of data. Not sure how many MB that is, but it has to be a lot. Glad I don't have to worry about it. I just use it and forget it.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can only be grandfathered in if you had the iPhone plan before. As SeanHRCC said, the iPhone plan and the Blackberry plan, even though costing the same and being unlimited, are apples and berries (so to speak), and not equal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's what i found on AT&T's website...

We would like to begin by saying that current Smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans but can choose to do so without a contract extension. In addition, current Smartphone customers with the unlimited data plan are not required to switch to the new plans if they renew their contract or switch to another Smartphone; however, if you choose to change to one of the new lower-priced plans, you will not be able to go back to your unlimited plan in the future. All NEW activations or new-to-Smartphone upgrades must choose from the New Smartphone Data Plans.

About the new plans:

DataPlus ? 200 MB of data for $15 per month

Designed for people who primarily surf the Web, send email, and use social networking apps.
On average, 65% of AT&T Smartphone customers use less than 200 MB per month
If you use more than 200 MB, you'll receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15, replenished as often as necessary during the billing cycle.
Note: CRU customers are not eligible for the $15 DataPlus plan.

DataPro ? 2 GB of data for $25 per month

Designed for people who regularly download or stream music and video, or use other high bandwidth applications
98% of AT&T Smartphone customers use less than 2 GB in a month on average
If you exceed 2 GB, you'll get an additional 1 GB of data for only $10. Each time an additional 1 GB is used up during a cycle, you will automatically receive another 1 GB at the same low price.

Unlimited Wi-Fi included in all plans

Virtually all AT&T Smartphones come with Wi-Fi technology embedded inside. Wi-Fi generally provides consistently fast speeds and can be used in the home, at the office, or elsewhere when available without counting against your monthly data usage total. We also offer unlimited usage at more than 20,000 AT&T Hot Spots at no additional charge to Smartphone, netbook and laptop customers with qualifying data plans. Learn more about Wi-Fi at att.com/wifiaccess.

Tethering Options

Smartphone customers who choose the DataPro plan can add tethering for an additional $20 per month. With tethering, you can use your Smartphone as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks, or other computing devices.

For further information regarding the New Smartphone Data Plans and ways to manage you usage, please click here.

But the thing is, upgrade eligibility is the ONLY way to do this, my sister's case was a little different, i remember she got an "early upgrade" price ($399 i believe) and this made her account "new", therefore not allowing her to grandfather her data plan over. It makes sense to me now...basically, you have to either pay full price or have a full upgrade eligibility to grandfather the data plan, all other people will be forced into the new tiered system.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Sean, I'd guess the "dbag" comment would apply. I definitely switched after the new data plans were in effect. ??? What you found on their website definitely supports your earlier statement. Maybe they've toughened their policy recently. It's BS if they did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2