Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

Default Airprint Wi-fi limitations

With the recent release of OS 4.2 including Airprint, I am wondering why it can only be used with certain HP printers? Why not any Wi-fi capable printer? Seems rather counter productive to limit the functionality to a select few. Are there plans to change this in the future to include all Wi-fi printers? Just wondering as I have Wi-fi printer that is not recognized by Airprint and was hoping to use it in the future.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone0001 View Post
    With the recent release of OS 4.2 including Airprint, I am wondering why it can only be used with certain HP printers? Why not any Wi-fi capable printer? Seems rather counter productive to limit the functionality to a select few. Are there plans to change this in the future to include all Wi-fi printers? Just wondering as I have Wi-fi printer that is not recognized by Airprint and was hoping to use it in the future.
    I believe it has to do with a specific protocol that some wifi printers use to "advertise" themselves on the network. Not all wifi printers use that protocol.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

A lot of questions for a noob. Anyways, AirPrint originally was going to be for all printers shared on a Mac. Something happened last minute to cause Apple to withdraw that support and leave it at e-print enabled devices. What happened? Who knows. Will AirPrint regain its intended functionality? One can only guess. However there are ways around it if you know where to look.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 11-28-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    iPhone Pro

Try that and make sure the printer is set to "Shared". It works on my canon wifi printer.
    iPhone Nanite

Default wifi printing on a mac from iphone/ipad

I have a Canon MP980 wireless printer. After setting up Airprint Hactivate, I have been able to access it from my iPhone and iPad applications.

I haven't posted enough to add the link to this message -- but if you google "Airprint Hactivate" you will find the free software from Netputing that makes this possible on a mac system. It took a few minutes to set up and works as advertised. You do NOT need to be jailbroken. The hactivate program has an undo function if you change your mind.

I have been able to use it from both an iPhone 3gs and an iPad via my mac airport home network.
    Last edited by gstriph; 11-28-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: items missing
    iPhone Nanite

Unhappy Setting up Airprint Hactivate

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.5, a Canon MP980 wireless printer and an iPhone4. I have installed and used the AirprintHactivator as recommended - but I can still not print directly from my iPhone4 - it still says that no printer is found when I try to select a printer.

What am I missing?
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macharborguy View Post
    I believe it has to do with a specific protocol that some wifi printers use to "advertise" themselves on the network. Not all wifi printers use that protocol.
    PrinterShare will use my HP psc 2500 (sees it as generic WiFi printer; ) but not my Lexmark 4700. It has a couple of hundred drivers. iOS 4.2 does not see either one.

There are HP printers that will have an e-mail address and will print (pdf?) attachments. Gets around the driver problem.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

Ghostface147 was right! That was a lot of questions for a newbie, but I new the members of the Tipb forum where up to the challenge! Thanks to all who responded and especially to shutter for the link and tip.