Do I need to be connected to the internet do install? 4.2

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently at my mothers house useing her Wi-Fi connection on my laptop to d/l iOS 4.2.1 or 4.2 which ever you perfer to call it. Anywho her internet connection is incredibly slow it says that it'll take 13 hours to download the 624.3MB file. Since I dont have all day to litterally spend here, I was thinking about useing the iPhone 3G thats on my account and tethering the internet connection to finish the download at home. However my question is since the update I'm downloading is for my iPhone 4, which doesnt have the tethering feature (I like my unlimited data AT&T) will I need be able to connest the iPhone 4 up to the computer and install the update? Or the second I unplug the iPhone 3G it'll all be done fpr nothing?

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok so then I'd have to stay here at moms waiting 13 hours to download? What I wanted to know was if I were to teather with the iPhone 3G and download the update, once I unpluged the iPhone 3G from the computer and connect the iPhone 4 to the computer.... what'll happen with the update I just downloaded? Will I not be able to install the update due to there not being an internet connection at my home?

Snowleopards

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok so then I'd have to stay here at moms waiting 13 hours to download? What I wanted to know was if I were to teather with the iPhone 3G and download the update, once I unpluged the iPhone 3G from the computer and connect the iPhone 4 to the computer.... what'll happen with the update I just downloaded? Will I not be able to install the update due to there not being an internet connection at my home?

You can use your iPhone 3G Tethering. When FW is downloaded turn back on laptop in wifi network.
You can install the update but you will stuck at start (iTunes not allow you update without internet(when connect iPhone, itunes connect to apple server))and in the end (you cant activate the iPhone.

------------
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to have two iPhones plugged into two USB ports on the computer? Useing the teathering connection of the iPhone 3G while updateing the iPhone 4? I've never thought about possibly trying to do it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just a warning before you try doing a tethered update over 3G, if the connection is interrupted (even for a moment, which is very common over a tethered connection), the update will have issues.

Then there's also the issue with data usage, especially if you arnt on an unlimited data plan...the update is about 650MB, which isnt a small update, especially over 3G.

Also, both iphones have to be associated with the iTunes account you are using to do the update...internet tethering requires the phone to connect to itunes.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I've never really tried connecting two iPhones to the computer with iTunes before so I'm not really sure if it'd work. Think if I called Apple and asked that question they'd be able to answer it? I don't really see why that solution wouldn't work.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Both iPhones are associated with the same account. And yea I'm aware of AT&T's overage charges... its so easy to go over 2GB.....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't hurt...but they'll tell you the same thing, if it IS in fact possible, its not a good idea because of the possible data loss and the nature of the 3G data network. I'd just wait until you are in a faster internet environment, this update really isnt that big of a deal to go through all this trouble honestly. Find a star bucks and do it there...lol.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We're trying to warn you there man, just wait...patience will save you a headache and again, the 4.2 update is NOT worth the time you're investing into it right now. When's the next time you'll be in or near a hotspot or a good internet area? A few days? Hell, Mcdonalds has free wifi at most locations, go grab a big mac and do the update, lol.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Well the guy at Apple tech support said it'd be worth a try and that iTunes would recognize both iPhone devices. and that I SHOULD be able to install the update, just wouldn't be able to install the update on BOTH phones at the same time.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I wanna install the update is for the find my iPhone feature. I had the MobileMe trial membership for that main feature, which I found very useful. And wasen't about to spend $100 for that only feature since I use Gmail as my primary inbox.

And I'm not really about to go to either McDonalds or Starbucks with a $1,000 laptop and an iPhone 4...not really something you'd wanna bring there.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Um, people bring 2-3,000 laptops and iPhone 4 to starbucks all the damn time. It's pretty safe. When was the last starbucks robbery you heard of in your area? :p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife does tons of work at starbucks, with her iPhone 4 and macbook pro, and she's usually surrounded by dozens of people doing the same thing...McDonalds was a stretch, i simply suggested it for the high speed internet leeching...but starbucks is almost KNOWN for people going to it, having a coffee or tea and working on stuff off their laptop.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm at home now trying to download the update w/both iPhones plugged into iTunes. So far iTunes has recognized both iDevices and is downloading the update while teathered to the comp. So far it's downloading a lot faster than it was while I was at my mother's house useing her internet connection. It's now twlling me I have 79 minutes left as opposed to 14-8 hours at moms. The interesting part will be to see if it'll let me install the downloaded update.......

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner