Any Car Audio Enthusiasts in here?

NVMY03ION

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Consdiering getting a Blue Tooth Adapter for my JVC Head Unit but I like to listen to a lot of techno so I need the quality to be there. So my question do you lose quality over Bluetooth as opposed to running the cord to the AUX?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you care ANYTHING for audio quality, you will never skew away from a hard wired option. Bluetooth adds convenience, that is all...id take my phone out of the case every time i used it before using a bluetooth connection.

NVMY03ION

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
If you care ANYTHING for audio quality, you will never skew away from a hard wired option. Bluetooth adds convenience, that is all...id take my phone out of the case every time i used it before using a bluetooth connection.

I'm assuming the Dock connector Vs the headphone port produce the same quality correct? My radio has the option to add an Ipod Charge/Audio feed into it.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming the Dock connector Vs the headphone port produce the same quality correct? My radio has the option to add an Ipod Charge/Audio feed into it.

In my own testing, the dock connector gives out better sound quality. My radio (Pioneer) has both USB and Aux inputs. The USB Dock connection gives a fuller sound in my car, even through my blown subwoofer.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
In my own testing, the dock connector gives out better sound quality. My radio (Pioneer) has both USB and Aux inputs. The USB Dock connection gives a fuller sound in my car, even through my blown subwoofer.

I would have to agree with this as well. USB over AUX if you have the option.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife's Z4 has a dock connector and my gs300 has the headphone connector...i get better bass response in my car, but hers has a much better clarity and depth. It also has alot to do with the system the song is being played over, but yes, i agree, the dock connection tends to give a better signal, and usually charges the phone which is a plus over a simple AUX headphone connector.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I use BT all the time. This quality you all care about means little with compressed mp3's & music streaming (pandora, slacker). Plus my wife won't let me beef up the speakers and what not..i'm lucky i got the BT stereo.

But BT sounds fine to my non audio expert ears. Using a Sony brand with external mic. Does have a USB port but only used it once.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I use BT all the time. This quality you all care about means little with compressed mp3's & music streaming (pandora, slacker). Plus my wife won't let me beef up the speakers and what not..i'm lucky i got the BT stereo.

But BT sounds fine to my non audio expert ears. Using a Sony brand with external mic. Does have a USB port but only used it once.

Just because the file itself is compressed does not mean the source of the audio connection become indifferent. Compared to a CD the audio quality is lowered, but regardless of how the compression of the MP3 or stream effects the song itself, the connection to the actual audio equipment will still have its own effect on the sound coming from the source...

I can clearly hear a difference when i play a song from a CD and then the same song from my iPhone...but there is a recognizable difference in sound quality between connections as well, regardless of file compression. If you took an old portable CD player and connected it in the similar fashion, youd have the same difference as well.

NVMY03ION

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Just because the file itself is compressed does not mean the source of the audio connection become indifferent. Compared to a CD the audio quality is lowered, but regardless of how the compression of the MP3 or stream effects the song itself, the connection to the actual audio equipment will still have its own effect on the sound coming from the source...

I can clearly hear a difference when i play a song from a CD and then the same song from my iPhone...but there is a recognizable difference in sound quality between connections as well, regardless of file compression. If you took an old portable CD player and connected it in the similar fashion, youd have the same difference as well.

x2.. Even with running Pandora/IHeartRadio with an Aux in connection you can tell there is quality less compared to a CD because its an over the air transmission, but if you toss Blue Tooth into the mix of it your degrading your signal MORE by going over the air from your iphone to the radio. So you lose some quality with the OTA transmission I would imagine if I had the song on my actual Iphone and I ran it into the AUX it would be pretty comparable to a CD. But again I just don't want to degrade the signal again by tossing it over the air. I like you do a lot of streaming. I do like the BT idea for Hands Free calling. But with where my speakers are in the car anyways it wouldn't really do me any good since their in the doors. You almost need the highs up on the A pillars to enjoy the full potential of hands free calling.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
i am currently using a weird set up. I have one of those FM transmitters that plugs into the cig lighter spot, arcs up and has a dock connector (I think it from Griffin Tech). Connected to the dock connector is an ANYCOM FIPO BlueTooth receiver. I do this because I have an iPhone 4 and hate hearing the GSM buzzing when it is directly connected to the broadcaster.

it's nowhere near the BEST quality, but for my needs (mostly podcasts, sometimes internet radio), it does the job. Plus I got the ANYCOM FIPO for $10 at a GoodWill store (normally they are $100, so let this be a lesson to everyone. ALWAYS go to GoodWill for potential electronics deals).

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Agree. Example, my FM transmitter, for some reason, lowers the volume before it sends the audio to the stereo. This only is bad when I turn to normal radio and my ears get blown out, but then again I don't like normal radio, lol.

Secondly, depending on the FM station you broadcast to, the quality and interference will be different. The 100.0 and lower bands get a smooth static interference when my wiper blades are moving, yet no interference from them in higher bands. Also, while driving the quality of the band will change depending on the power output of said station. You may drive from one area that has nothing on the 105.1 band, into another area where that stations broadcast overpowers your FM transmitter.

It's a crap-shoot when it comes to wireless technologies. This is why I prefer 100Base-T/1000Base-T over any WiFi technology any day of the week.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2