Official 4.2 bug report/trouble-shooting thread

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Just curious, did 3G owners get ANYTHING AT ALL from the update to 4.2? I updated my dad's 3G to 4.2 and I couldn't find anything updated, not even the word search on a Safari web page feature. ???

Also, just wondering if the 3GS that I own has Airplay or AirPrint functionality (other than the handy way my phone just autocorrected AirPrint to have a capital "P")?

jtcromer

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Heating of IP4

Is it in my imagination, or does my phone run alot warmer after the 4.2.1 update? I've just never noticed it before, and it seems like after the update, its constant.

Hope everyone had a great and is still having a great Thanksgiving

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Just curious, did 3G owners get ANYTHING AT ALL from the update to 4.2? I updated my dad's 3G to 4.2 and I couldn't find anything updated, not even the word search on a Safari web page feature. ???

The 3G is no longer getting any features. Any future updates will be strictly security or bug fixes. I will bet that when the next iPhone is released, the 3G will be end of life with no futher updates ever, just like the original iPhone today.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Proximity sensor performance improved

Not sure if anyone else has posted about the proximity sensor, but it seems to work much better for me after the 4.2.1 update. I used to struggle to get the screen to turn off. Needed to hold the phone just right. But now the screen seems to shut off much more reliably...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I had the problem on iOS 4.1 where typing on the keyboard was offset. Well it's also on 4.2.1 it has happens intermittently just like before. How come on previous firmware there didn't used to be these annoying bugs which seem to be hanging around from version to version.

jtcromer

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Still Heating

I'm still having trouble with the phone getting significatly warmer after use than it did before the most recent 421 update. Any ideas? Anyone else having the same?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
no problem with heat ofcourse mine is encased in a tank of a case LOL. When does it heat up while charging, while talking? if you would be able to show an Apple Genius I say take it in and get it replaced.

b ran don

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
my signal has dropped to almost nothing after restoring to a fresh 4.2.1. I used to get full 3g in my house and now its "searching" or just a couple bars of E

Also seeing this issue, except mine won't fall over to Edge unless I do so manually (via the "Disable 3G" setting).

Here's my post on the Apple boards:

I'm having a similar issue with my new iPhone 4 (w/ 4.2.1)... It continually cycles through the following sequence:

AT&T / 3G
AT&T / No Data
Searching?
Searching? 3G
AT&T / 3G
(loops?)

Here is a video of the cycling. Note the iPhone 4 is just sitting on a coffee table in my house:

"h tee tee pee" dl.dropbox "dot" com/u/7186070/ip4_fw421_searching.mov
(I can't yet post links here...)

Also worth noting, I just got the iPhone 4 and I updated it to 4.2.1 right away. Previously, I had a 3GS which did not exhibit any of this behavior in the same location in my house. Also, my girlfriend still has a 3GS and has FW 4.2.1 without these issues. I have a video of her phone in the exact same location taken just after the clip above and her phone maintains 3-bars / AT&T / 3G the entire time.

I picked up the iPhone 4 while out of state over the holiday weekend and did not observe any of these connectivity issues, in fact the 3G throughput of the iPhone 4 was significantly better (consistently got >4 Mbps down / >800 Kbps up) than what my family members were seeing with their 3GS models.

I believe it is a baseband issue introduced with the 4.2.1 update for iPhone 4, but I also strongly believe there is some tower component to this problem (ie, software revision at the tower or configuration).

Like others here, I also performed a restore to 4.2.1 through iTunes and setup my phone as "New" and I continue to see the behavior. The phone is unusable in my house unless I manually disable 3G. As a final data point, when I'm able to maintain a 3G connection long enough in my house I get the following throughput from Speedtest.net: 1863 Kbps down / 543 Kbps up.

DenatureX

Nov 30, 2010
www.tourdelis.com
Hi everyone.

Is anyone else having an issue with their 3gs turning off like its out of battery life once they get under 15-20% battery life remaining? This just starting happening when I upgraded to 4.2.1 . It doesn't act like it is fully out of battery life because I can turn it back on when it shuts off (but once it gets to the lock screen it turns off again) It has to be something with the battery because it works fine once I plug it in. Is the phone just not recognizing how much battery is remaining all of a sudden?

I also do cycle the battery to 0% then do a full charge a few times a month if anyone was wondering. I also charge the phone every night and sometimes at work during the day.

Iphone 3gs
iOS 4.2.1
Not Jailbroken

If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks!
Tim

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned:

TV Episodes loaded onto my iPhone (3GS) are no longer sorted into different shows on the main Videos screen. I only show one of my shows there, but when I click on it I get to the TV Episode screen where all of my shows are listed, alphabetically.

I used to have them separated in the main Videos screen into the different shows, then when I clicked on the show it would show only the episodes of that show, not everything.

Very, very annoying.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The 3G is no longer getting any features. Any future updates will be strictly security or bug fixes. I will bet that when the next iPhone is released, the 3G will be end of life with no futher updates ever, just like the original iPhone today.

Thanks for the reply, ghostface147! ;) Hey, what about Airplay on the 3GS? It hasn't shown up for me yet, am I missing how to do it or is it simply not an option for me?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh