Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Default Wifi Calling?

Alright so here's a new one (Probably not)

Id like to find an app that will enable Wifi Calling. Android has it, Iphone has to have it. I thought Google Voice would do it, but apparently Google Voice still runs off the 3G network but its a mobile to mobile call (I think) so it equates out to FREE. But my house is like Ft Knox and no cell signal comes in or out. I have my phone on Wifi but is there a way to call outbound through Wifi?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

Skype and TruPhone just to name two. Probably more.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.

Global Posts
    3,556 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Fring does as well.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    Fring does as well.
    Forgot about Fring. Good One! I also just remembered Line2. So there is 4 so far!
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

I can answer this. Don't ask me how- I am not a telephony geek! But I was determined...

First, I got Google Voice, and kept my number. I don't think that was an integral part of the process, but GV is cool.

Then, I got a free number from SipGate. It's a California number, because they don't have Florida numbers, but so what. They let you select a number from several numbers.

Then, I tried several sip client apps, is that the word? First I tried Groundwire. It looked _really_ cool, but I couldn't get it configured. Probably someone smarter could.

Then I tried Bria. Same story- I couldn't get it to work. I started to lose heart and almost gave up.

Then I tried WeePhone. Very basic. It was simple to set up and worked immediately!!

So I can make and receive calls on wifi only, with the SipGate number. And when I am on wifi but in airplane mode (I work underground with no ATT antenna) I get messages on my own cell phone number through GV, which sends me and e-mail, pops up a message, and if I am at my PC also pops up a message. ALSO when I go outside, I get a text! I realize I could turn some of those options off, but the novelty hasn't worn off yet. And GV plays the actual VM as a QT video, too.

Good luck- it was fairly frustrating but really only took a couple days of concentrated Googling and trying things to get it working.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    940 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The is also an app that is call WiFi Call
    iPhone Intermediate

Also mobile voip. Haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be really cheap.
    Twitter @redbirdsm
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    388 Global Posts

Why not just get a micro cell?
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Entrical View Post
    Why not just get a micro cell?
    Why spend an extra $150 if I could do just Wifi Calling with an App.. I agree a MicroCell would be awesome but for $150??