BB to iPhone4

mad_eyes

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been a BB user for a few years now. Had the pearl 8100 and currently am a bold 9700 user. Great devices, really no complaints.

However, I'm thinking about buying a 4 when I'm in Hong Kong in December. I'm not doing a full switch to iphone. Rather, I'd like to continue to use both devices. I like the reliability of BB, but I want to have some fun here and there :).

I have a few questions:
  • Is it possible to have duplicate sims? BB uses full sized sims. It would be nice to keep the same number but just swap phones at my convenience.
  • For previous BB users, besides obvious things like autotext, bbm, etc., how was the switch to iphone e-mail, messaging system, multitasking, MS Office attachments, call quality, battery, etc?
  • Is it true they might release an updated 4 to fix antennae issues? I work overseas right now, but back at my California home the signal is pretty poor. I'm 100% positive the "death grip" will work there.
  • I can buy 4 contract free in HK right?
  • I currently have an ipod classic (I have over 50gb of music). Will a 16gb suffice?

If anyone else has any additional input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks.

Last edited:

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a few questions:
  • Is it possible to have duplicate sims? BB uses full sized sims. It would be nice to keep the same number but just swap phones at my convenience.
  • For previous BB users, besides obvious things like autotext, bbm, etc., how was the switch to iphone e-mail, messaging system, multitasking, MS Office attachments, call quality, battery, etc?
  • Is it true they might release an updated 4 to fix antennae issues? I work overseas right now, but back at my California home the signal is pretty poor. I'm 100% positive the "death grip" will work there.
  • I can buy 4 contract free in HK right?
  • I currently have an ipod classic (I have over 50gb of music). Will a 16gb suffice?

1. You can get a SIM adapter for the micro SIM in the iPhone. Its much like a micro SD card adapter. I have one and it works just fine.

2. I had no problem with the switch from the BB platform to the iPhone and I've owned every BB from the 8703e to the 9700. You will have to purchase Documents to Go for the iPhone though. There is no native messaging system like BBM for the iphone. Call quality is the same.

3. iOS 4.1 has addressed the antenna issues, of course if you live in a fringe coverage area you are going to still have problems. I have had AT&T service for about 5 months and have dropped maybe 2 calls but I was in low coverage at the time.

4. I'm fairly certain you can pick up an iPhone 4 contract free in HK...

5. If you plan to trim your music selection down by a rather large margin then yes 16GB would be fine. If you want to keep a big chunk of your music and still have room for pictures, apps and video then I'd suggest the 32GB.

Hope all of that helps you in your decision making process!

ALternateFfm

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Getting a iphone in HK will be no problem. My mother in law buyed one for my wife in Bangkok and these are imported from HK. It's unlocked and contract free. But take care there are some very good copy's around ;) I would recommend the 32 GB model, you fill your phone very fast with apps, fotos and music!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
3. iOS 4.1 has addressed the antenna issues

Whoa whoa whoa. How did a software update fix a physical issue? The antenna issues are permanently there, they just updated the signal display. However, the attenuation doesn't affect me to the point where i can't have voice/data. So in that aspect, it's not an issue.

Last edited:

mad_eyes

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
that's great to hear about the sim adapters. i'm sure i'd be able to find them in hk when i'm there.

the reason i'm staying away from 32gb is that i like to keep my media separate. i'm not a big cell phone photographer. i have a nikon to take care of my photography needs. i've had a 2gb card in my bb since the beginning. i've never even filled up 50mb on it ever. if i took a picture i'd basically transfer it to my computer within the next day or two. regarding the music, i have a very nice set of earbuds (ultimate ears) but are not capable of making/receiving calls, so i think i'd just keep my music off my iphone. basically i'd just fill it with productivity apps (chinese dictionary, whatsapp, etc.) and maybe some games, but i won't go overboard with that.

honestly, i'm not too worried about the antennae issue. if i encounter problems then i can live with it. however, is a "fixed" version of the 4 coming out soon? i know no one can confirm, but i know all of you are up to date on the rumors more than me.

another stupid question: news on the white iphone? i probably wouldn't get it anyways, but who knows what'll happen in the store.

on another note, should i consider any android phones?

oh what's this i hear about cases cracking the back glass or something?

thanks.

Last edited:

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa. How did a software update fix a physical issue? The antenna issues are permanently there, they just updated the signal display. However, the attenuation doesn't affect me to the point where i can't have voice/data. So in that aspect, it's not an issue.

Argue it all you want. It was a small problem blown WAY out of proportion, whatever. It apparently isn't too big of an issue, look at the sales numbers....:D

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Argue it all you want. It was a small problem blown WAY out of proportion, whatever. It apparently isn't too big of an issue, look at the sales numbers....:D

No no i think youre consfused itroldahl.... the 4.0.1 update didnt fix the antenna issue, what it did was make the bars more "accurate" as to how much signal you really had... the antenna issue does not get fixed by a software update.
I heard something about the new Iphones being shipped out like the white Iphone having an extra layer of aluminum or something to help the antenna issue? but dont take my word for it just rumors.
but antenna issue depends on place, and the simple solution to the death grip is a case for your phone.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
No no i think youre consfused itroldahl.... the 4.0.1 update didnt fix the antenna issue, what it did was make the bars more "accurate" as to how much signal you really had... the antenna issue does not get fixed by a software update.
I heard something about the new Iphones being shipped out like the white Iphone having an extra layer of aluminum or something to help the antenna issue? but dont take my word for it just rumors.
but antenna issue depends on place, and the simple solution to the death grip is a case for your phone.

I'm not confused, I get what you're saying. I'm saying if it's the huge issue it was made out to be the sales numbers wouldn't be so high and the return rate would be astronomical. Guess I should have termed it IMHO there is little to no antenna issue...

mad_eyes

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
ya like i said, in most strong signal areas the death grip doesn't really apply. however, in my CA home, i usually can't even get 3g reception and am always on edge (maybe 3 bars max). when i go downstairs sometimes none. i'm sure the death grip would work in my situation. again, i can live with it. would be nice if they released the white with the fix, but we'll see what happens.

anyone know anything about cases cracking the back glass?

any input on android phones?

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
ya like i said, in most strong signal areas the death grip doesn't really apply. however, in my CA home, i usually can't even get 3g reception and am always on edge (maybe 3 bars max). when i go downstairs sometimes none. i'm sure the death grip would work in my situation. again, i can live with it. would be nice if they released the white with the fix, but we'll see what happens.

anyone know anything about cases cracking the back glass?

any input on android phones?

If you have those issues with reception at home you most likely can get an AT&T microcell for free... Never heard of cases cracking the glass. I've played with Android, not my cup of tea.

mad_eyes

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
If you have those issues with reception at home you most likely can get an AT&T microcell for free... Never heard of cases cracking the glass. I've played with Android, not my cup of tea.

ok thanks.

quick question, how much usable storage is there on a 16gb iphone? basically, how big is the default os?

usually how big are apps? if you can list some popular apps and their size that would give me a better idea about 16 vs 32.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73