Can I restore an iphone 4 with out a sim card in it?

BigB

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Can I restore an iphone 4 without a sim card in it?

odd question I'm sure..

if I was using the sim in another device, would I run into problems doing a restore and activate without the sim present?

I seem to remember running into that before on an iphone 2G...

Another question along those same lines, could I use an inactive sim in it's place for a restore? I know this works on my 3G, I restore it all the time and just use an old AT&T sim that doesn't have service to keep it happy..

Thanks.

Last edited:

BigB

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys!

I've got an extra sim card on the way and a micro sim adapter so I can use my active sim in my iphone 3G while I restore my iphone 4.

I'll tether to the 3G to my laptop while I restore. (No internet at my house right now)

It's a bit of a hack, but I think it'll work, and it's better than trying to borrow my wife's sim card..

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
You can restore an iPhone without a sim at all too. I do it all the time with my 3GS as my sim is never even there and I only use it for testing. It won't activate but it'll restore just fine and you can use it as an iPod after. It won't freeze or fail.

BigB

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I do that too with my old 3G, but I need the iphone 4 to activate.. which is why I need the tethered internet connection from the other phone.. (Normally I drive into town and activate in the starbucks parking lot on their wifi, lol)

I did have a problem with an iphone 2g that I could not for the life of me get it to restore without a sim. I thought it was dead for about a week...

mehmet2769

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Straight to the point, I have an iPhone 4s 16GB with iOS 7.1.2 installed in it.But ı cant pass activation?
and I cant see restore iphone 4 ios 4.3 again?