iPhone 4 video quality issue via MMS

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I was having fun recently putting together some little videos using the iPhone 4 to do the video, then revamping it using iMovies. Nice sharp video quality UNTIL I sent it to others via MMS. Then the video quality is no longer sharp and the audio quality is also poor. Has anyone else had this issue? My original saved video is still sharp and clear. It simply becomes distorted when sent to someone via MMS.

Thanks,

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Video quality is always compressed when sending MMS. Doesn't matter of the recipient had an iPhone or not. If you email it, The quality is much better.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
i experienced this today as a matter of fact...sent an MMS to my brothers iPhone, crisp HD quality, then it became terrible 10 year old cell phone video quality after sending. Really disappointing, considering the video was all of 10 seconds long...

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
It kind of makes sense, sort of. Compressing it makes sense even if the video is crappy, because not everyone has an iPhone or a phone capable of receiving high quality video. Imaging trying to open a high quality video on a Razr, (just had an image of a phone popping like a popcorn kernel).

They probably should have given compression options, like when you send pictures via email on the iPhone.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
It kind of makes sense, sort of. Compressing it makes sense even if the video is crappy, because not everyone has an iPhone or a phone capable of receiving high quality video. Imaging trying to open a high quality video on a Razr, (just had an image of a phone popping like a popcorn kernel).

They probably should have given compression options, like when you send pictures via email on the iPhone.

Its got more to do with AT&T or whomever their carrier is than the iPhone. MMS are treated differently than say an email. It probably has a limit to its size capability so it will get compress no matter what.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok, videos sent over mms are always compressed, however they are NOT converted to be viewable by crappier phones. They remain in MOV format. Barely anyone I send videos to over MMS (including blackberry and android users) can view videos that I send them.

They are compressed for speed of course, and because mms can't judge file size. I know we all think AT&T and carriers in general are evil, but first of all this isn't just AT&T: it's every carrier in the world. And secondly, I actually think it's fair. Why should they allow us to send ridiculously large file sizes over mms, making the network worse for everyone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ so basically you're saying it's fair to decrease the end product because the support can't handle it (IE: compress MMS because the servers are already overloaded).

Hmmm...seems like a good way to improve things for the future...lol.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The network is already pathetic on AT&T, if MMS was opened up to send high quality video files the network would be terrible on EVERY carrier. They can't always just throw more money at it. There's only so much they can do.

jerrydavid

Jul 19, 2010
www.fashionshoppings.com
Yeah I noticed that as well. I shot some video and sent it off to a friend to brag about the great video the IP4 could take and it reduced it down to garbage.

Video sent via email will be compressed somewhat as well, but not as much as when sending via MMS.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. everyone. Yes, YouTube would be a great option but some videos one simply does not want to share with everyone! The video I have is of co-workers being goof balls. They would kill be if I posted them on YouTube.:p

And the video I sent via MMS was to another iPhone user, still really crappy quality. But I guess the compression factor makes sense. Just too bad they cannot see how really sharp it is.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
There is no video quality issue over mms. Mms by definition is low quality. Android phones offer different quality when you are shooting video, the lowest being "mms". In typical iPhone fashion, IOS reduces the quality automatically to reduce the file size.

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i always simply email the video because its quicker, and doesnt compress it... also youtube is so simple to upload i can do that, plus you can add a video on youtube and put the settings of that video so that only certain people will be able to see it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2