No Unlimited data?

How much data do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I use a bit of everything. Youtube, Netflix, on the web constantly throughout the day, and a lot of gps (Maps, RunKeeper, etc). I average about 600Mb a month.

Also, my phone is Jb with MyWi so I occasionally take my iPad out and tether it and still average the same amount of usage. I believe the highest data recorded was just over 700Mb. That was the month I got my iPad.

This makes no sense to me.

Using those data-intensive apps all day, most days, is going to make you break 1GB EASILY.

Either you use those apps less than you claim or you moved a decimal point/put the wrong units somewhere.

I use mine hhe way you say you use yours and I average more than seven gigs per month (7GB).

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Those who say there are enough wifi hotspots around, maybe there are enough for your usage, but not mine. Besides, if I'm at Best Buy, I don't want to have to run to McDonald's to see what TigerDirect is charging for the same items. I'd rather do it where I am.

Use your device however you choose, but who impose their opinions on others are a pain. Polite suggestions on price-saving or efficiently are cool.

Learn the difference.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
To be fairly, I just realized that this is iPhone-specific. I followed the link from the blog.

I use an iPad. The comparisons may still be fair, but I at least wanted to mention that.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
the problem i have is this. The iPhone touts that it has all these features, which by the way I love. And i'm sure i'm not the only one that loves all these features. Most of the features we all love have to use data. So, the iPhone became, or has become, the most data intensive device. To me, this is just a way of further capitalizing on customers that use data on their network. For those that say they'll switch to Verizon, guess what they're switching to tiered data plans as well. It's all because they're competitive on the rate plans for minutes used, where they make their money is gonna be on these data plans. if you're gonna give us a data plan, at least give us one that's a respectable amount like 4 or 5gb(like they do on aircards).

we should try and petition this movement to tiered data plans

oh and for the people that are wondering i have never gone above 2gb on my data plan so in case you were wondering it's something im thinking abiout for the greater good of all of us.

akingtrey

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I listen to sirius/xm for about 2 hours a day, crazy amount of emails with large attachments, and several apps that access data. With 2gb I have to monitor it about every other day just to keep in-check that I don't go over. Mostly just a pain to have to worry about it, but I'm too cheap to take a chance and go over 1mb and it cost me $10 extra a month.

jeremylittle

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I generally use social media apps, mail, and maps a few times throughout the day. That's really about it besides Pandora or Last.fm every now and then. I went with the 200mb plan to save some money and I haven't had a problem going over yet. But I also intentionally stay away from streaming video or downloading apps over 3G. I wait till I'm at work or home to use WiFi. If I want to listen to music in the car, that's why I have almost 10 GB of music on my iPhone.
But that's just me

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Those who say there are enough wifi hotspots around, maybe there are enough for your usage, but not mine. Besides, if I'm at Best Buy, I don't want to have to run to McDonald's to see what TigerDirect is charging for the same items. I'd rather do it where I am.

Use your device however you choose, but who impose their opinions on others are a pain. Polite suggestions on price-saving or efficiently are cool.

Learn the difference.

Best Buys, at least the ones in my area now have wifi enabled on the computers (or at least on the macs) so you could just go and price check on those.

You could also price check BEFORE you leave, so if Tiger Direct is cheaper you wouldn't have wasted a trip an gas money.

skitch

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to figure out if AT&T counts the data I use while on wifi against my plan or not. I have spoken with a customer service person and they told me that it doesn't, but I am on wifi 90% of the day and My data usage is pretty high still according to the AT&T app. The lady told me there is no way to distinguish between 3g usage and wifi usage to make sure that I am not going to go over. Does anyone have an answer for this? Thanks in advance for any help.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought for sure I would miss my unlimited data when I moved from Verizon to AT&T, but the fact that I'm on Wi-Fi in most places (except work, for some odd reason); and the fact that I bought a stand-alone Sirius radio (the sole reason I was hovering around 7GB/mo on my Droid) has me not missing it at all. I don't think I've gone over (or near) 500mb since I got the phone.

Though a huge help is the fact that the iPhone has iTunes to buy and download apps from a PC/Mac. There is no Android equivalent and all apps have to be purchased and downloaded on your handset.

Coffeegrower

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I live and work off-grid, with no option for internet access other than 3G. The nearest wifi is 15 miles away, so I only use it to download large apps/updates. Before the Netflix app was released, I used 2 or 3 G per month - now about 5. Glad I kept my unlimited plan :)

jvwong96

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm hitting around 8GB a month now that I have Netflix. Some airport still don't do free wifi so I'm using 3G with MyWi for my laptop while at work and also when I travel. I'm keeping my unlimited plan until 3G is retired like TDMA was so I can stream as much as I want.

jhetzel

Dec 16, 2001
Visit site
I was just wondering if the no unlimited data is stopping anyone else from getting the new Iphone4? It is for me I'm with Verizon and use about 3 gbs. I have netflix so I would use that app. I also use slacker radio when I drive to work an hour commute. :( I am also holding out to see if Verizon get Iphone by next year. Which has been rumors for how many years? Just wondering how much data people here use and what apps you use?

Thanks,
Tiffany

Verizon is getting rid of unlimited data - Verizon CEO confirms plans for tiered data pricing -- Engadget

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711