Hypothetical question about a hypothetical situation

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So about this whole iPhone to Verizon thing, I've been wondering something. I don't really care one way or another whether it goes to Big Red or not, I've been happy with AT&T and plan on staying with them. My question is mainly about future products ... If Apple goes to Big Red early in 2011 like the rumors say, does that mean AT&T will no longer get any NEW iPhones in the future? And all future iPhones will go to Verizon? Or will Apple release two separate iPhones (one for each carrier) each time they release a new phone?

Do you think Apple would become exclusive with the different carrier like they were with AT&T? -- Again, just hypothetical, I'm not arguing for or against the Verizon deal.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely not. Apple will still be coming out with a GSM phone each year for the world (remember the CDMA markets are limited) and AT&T will get that. VZW can only get a special release.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget about T-Mobile. T-Mobile is also a part of the post-AT&T rumor mill. Granted there isn't quite as much buzz around that as there is Verizon.

In my opinion, I think since Qualcomm (The new supplier for Apple) is currently working on that 'HYBRID' chipset, which means they would only have to manufacture one iPhone for any/all providers. To me that makes the most sense, if Apple wants to shut down Google, all 4 providers is the way to do it. That being said, it's also important to keep those new phones coming on all providers. Think about it, all 4 providers + 1 iPhone release= more money that you can wrap your head around.

So to trace back to your original question, no, I don't think AT&T will get the shaft on that deal. Even though they've had a Hate-Hate releationship the past few years, it's still a giant bag of money waiting to be had. Because there are many loyal users that won't just jump ship because the iPhone is going somehwere else. Heck, I won't leave T-Mobile, because I enjoy what I have with them.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So about this whole iPhone to Verizon thing, I've been wondering something. I don't really care one way or another whether it goes to Big Red or not, I've been happy with AT&T and plan on staying with them. My question is mainly about future products ... If Apple goes to Big Red early in 2011 like the rumors say, does that mean AT&T will no longer get any NEW iPhones in the future? And all future iPhones will go to Verizon? Or will Apple release two separate iPhones (one for each carrier) each time they release a new phone?

Do you think Apple would become exclusive with the different carrier like they were with AT&T? -- Again, just hypothetical, I'm not arguing for or against the Verizon deal.

Both AT&T and Verizon are moving toward LTE for their 4th generation cellular service... so within a year or so, the whole point will be moot...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Seeing as the majority of the world uses GSM there will always be a GSM iPhone so why would they ever not have one on AT&T? If anything the iPhone could be on Tmobile now as well in the US once it is no longer exclusive.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Cool, thanks. I don't know much about gsm or cdma or whatever, or what providers use what lol. So that didn't even come to mind. But yea, just curious ... I was thinking if Apple goes Verizon then maybe AT&T's of the iPhone 4 would have been the last iPhone they got. Good to know that's not the case, or *wouldn't* be the case IF these rumors are true.

sizetimetrade

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
why people like ipad more than the Macbook?

You search the google, you will find the popular apple device is not macbook, it is ipad, the reason, i just want to tell you that,, Apple iPad Tablet MC349LL(16GB) wi-fi+3G this is more vauble than the Apple MacBook Pro MB990LL/A(Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB H

google the reson, is it real?

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You search the google, you will find the popular apple device is not macbook, it is ipad, the reason, i just want to tell you that,, Apple iPad Tablet MC349LL(16GB) wi-fi+3G this is more vauble than the Apple MacBook Pro MB990LL/A(Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB H

google the reson, is it real?

Umm, what? :confused:

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as the majority of the world uses GSM there will always be a GSM iPhone so why would they ever not have one on AT&T? If anything the iPhone could be on Tmobile now as well in the US once it is no longer exclusive.

Most of the World (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile included) are moving toward LTE for 4G, which would definitely mean that 1 iPhone would work for the top 3 US carriers. There may be a special release for the initial Verizon iPhone (a CDMA version has always been developed concurrently with the GSM version, so it would be very quick to manufacture), possibly the first 2 (with the second being a hybrid CDMA/LTE); but after that a single LTE handset would work for all networks (provided the signal could be tweaked as some carriers will be using different LTE bands than others).

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Read the front page. Looks like Apple might be releasing a dual band GSM/CDMA iPhone 5 and LTE will not come into play until iPhone 6 in 2012.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2