Is it ok to leave on the charger 24/7?

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys! I've got a question. I recently got my Mophie Juice Pack for my iphone 4, and I went a day on it, and it lasted pretty much 6 hours of HARDCORE usage. So that gives me enough time to throw it back on teh charger before it goes to 25% battery life. So my question is, is it ok for my iphone to be at 100% battery for days at a time? I mean, I'll drain my battery a couple times a week, but still, is it OK to leave it "charging" 24/7, as the phone thinks it's on a charger and won't drain the battery but rather the MJP?

Thanks! :D

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Most new phones with Lithium Ion batteries have sensors in them that prevent overcharging. I can only think that the iPhone would have this. With these sensors, you can leave your phone plugged in all the time if you wanted. It will not negatively impact the battery at all as the sensor will effectively shut off the incoming flow once it reports 100% charge.

Reactions: zkyevolved

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
yes it should be fine. the battery switches off after it reaches 100% then starts charging again when it reaches about 92-90%

every 3 days or so though you might want to let it go all the way to dead then charge back up and let it drain down again. this will keep the sensors calibrated.

best of luck :) hope your battery doesn't explode

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Nice! Thanks! I got it mainly because some days I am out of the house for 24+ hours, and I am a hardcore user. I could kill my blackberry 9700 (which had fantastic battery life) in less than a day. My iphone 4 with less usage gets about 6 hours of usage and a total of standby around 7 (including the usage time). So I needed something a little bit heavier. So I got this. And this battery with HEAVY usage can go about 6 hours plus another 6 hours of usage on the internal, damn, 12 hours of usage! :D REALLY good. But MOST days I won't need more than 5+ hours, so I'll just run it off the external batter (70 euros, shipped, and easily replaceable, not like the internal battery! with which I'd have to ship off and pay easily the same amount just for the same thing).

But I'll run off the OEM battery every 4 days or so, to keep it in shape :) hehe. (500 charges until 80% charge hold, 2 charges a week = 250 weeks = 4.6 years.... I'll be on the iphone 5 by August or september of next year xDDD haha.)

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Haha sounds like a plan ^^^
At apple they suggest you run your battery to 20% or let it die at least once a month to keep the sensors calibrators, I simply let it go down to 20% then leave it on the charger till 100% etc etc
As far as saving battery goes!
A few things I do, if youre not gonna be using your wifi turn it off (obviously)
If you're not using 3G just get on edge, monitor brightness and most importantly that my friend (an apple employee) told me
The multi-tasking feature is great but if you double click and see You have pages and pages of multi task apps "open" it drains your battery to have running on reserve ready to be opened.
So I make sure to have no more then 6-8 apps down there.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
If you plan to keep the phone for a while, it's better to leave the phone around 50% or so and cool rather than hot. Li-Ion loses capacity over time. About 20% per year, if kept fully charged and room temperature. If kept around 50% charged, it loses about a quarter of that or so at the same temperature. If kept fully charged most of the time, after 2 years, at room temperature, you can lose about 35% of capacity. Kept at half charge, it would lose only 8% or so, give or take a point or two.

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you plan to keep the phone for a while, it's better to leave the phone around 50% or so and cool rather than hot. Li-Ion loses capacity over time. About 20% per year, if kept fully charged and room temperature. If kept around 50% charged, it loses about a quarter of that or so at the same temperature. If kept fully charged most of the time, after 2 years, at room temperature, you can lose about 35% of capacity. Kept at half charge, it would lose only 8% or so, give or take a point or two.

This is if the phone is OFF. But the phone will be on, and used. :)

superaj#IM

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but you risk some component in the charger failing since it's constantly running. I would not have it plugged in when you aren't using it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbiePilgrim