faulty home button

jMunar

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My home button has been acting up lately, sometimes I have to press it a few times to actually go back to the home screen:(. I am wondering for those who had a faulty home button if this is the onset of whats going to eventually happen, which is stop working? I am still covered by the phones warranty if it eventually gives out right?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have also noticed this lately...i didnt really notice it when i first got the phone, but recently (dare i say since the 4.1 update?) ive noticed that the multitasking panel will come up under one press of the home button, and sometimes having to press the home button several times to get it to respond.

It doesnt happen often enough to be a nuisance, but ive certainly noticed the same thing...I've actually thought about going to the Apple store to see if they'd just give me a new phone explaining to them this symptom, killing two birds with one stone since my phone's water damage things are both activated lol.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I too have noticed this but very rarely does it happen too me. I actually thought it was human error on my part.

If water damage stickers are activated the warranty is null and void. I doubt you'd get a replacement, but good luck trying. Let us know how it works out.

metalmike

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
i had this problem and took my phone it and they gave me a new one. The new one has the flaw as i will call it so its pretty much normal now i have adjusted to how hard i press the button

dlopes90

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
this happened to my friends iPhone 4 and he took it to the apple store and they replaced it for him...all they checked was to make sure it wasnt water damaged

jMunar

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, its nice to know that they will replace the phone if it becomes a bigger problem. As of now my phone has not been close to any water so water damage isn't likely. I'll keep you guys posted if any thing comes up.

714X

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This has just started happening to me & its annoying. The home button is unresponsive when exiting an app or waking the phone up from sleep.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine has progressively become worse...it is to a point where i actually made an appointment with the apple store for this weekend. We'll see what comes of it...i'm noticing this issue about 3-4 times a day, sometimes requiring multiple home button depressions to get out of an App or get away from the multi-tasking bar. Quite frustrating now...

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I too have noticed this but very rarely does it happen too me. I actually thought it was human error on my part.

If water damage stickers are activated the warranty is null and void. I doubt you'd get a replacement, but good luck trying. Let us know how it works out.

Actually you really need to stop saying this, tripped sensors no longer mean "null and void" they actually have to check inside sensors now too, it's been new Apple policy for a while and you should google about it. CNET covered it a lot a few months back.

Tripped outer sensors no longer hold weight whether you warranty is void, apple support must look inside the device to find full water damage evidence....

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
wow, this is good! I, too, thought it was just human error on my part. It didn't used to do this, just recently. Maybe the last update? Mine doesn't do it enough to bother me much, only when i'm in a hurry! :)

714X

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I made an appointment w/ my local Apple Store & I plan on getting it replaced this weekend. Having to press really hard to get it to work has annoyed me for too long.

NickCurtis

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I always thought that it was my own personal error or perhaps I am too busy that I often took it as a common thing to happened. But just a while ago, I just noticed that it was not really my fault. I tried to ask a knowledgeable friend about this matter and he said that the phone might have been splashed by water or stuck in cold place with low humidity. I tried to remember what exactly happened but I am confident enough that there is no such thing as water splashed involved. Anyways, the problem is still happening right now but I will keep you updated as soon as I can find a solution to this problem.
I am not pretty sure about the warranty thing but I hope you will keep us informed. I am sure a lot of people are experiencing this kind of issues. I am looking forward for a quick response.Good luck.

Last edited:

iDev

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Had a similar problem happen to me. Just brought it to the apple store and they replaced the whole phone with no other questions

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
This started happening to me about 3 weeks ago or so.
Very annoying. Will probably set up an appointment to get it replaced.

Also, having apps crash upon opening (mainly apples native apps), not sure if it's caused by multitasking, but I don't think it should be happening. Might just wipe my phone.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
As many have reported, if your home button is acting up take it to an apple store. Took all of five minutes for my phone to be replaced and I have had no issues since.

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue where pressing the Home button once brings up the multitask bar and it does it frequently enough to annoy me. The nearest Apple Store is still pretty far, but I'm closer to two AT&T stores. Will they replace it? Nothing's wrong with the phone otherwise. Thanks.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe its the home button thats faulty... but i may be incorrect and confusing the two issues here.

We have two ip4s in our household and both every once in a while the home key refuses to work... i.e while in app wont go to home screen... (But multitasking works).

To fix it i have to reboot the phone or sometimes close the history of apps and respring and it works.

I believe it maybe an app that maybe causing it that.... since my personal ip is jailbroken it thought it was a tweak but the other ip4 is not jailbroken and has similar issue.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It is unquestionably the home button itself...it's a known issue, and one that the Apple store knows about too. I got my iP4 replaced (and it had water damage too, lol), they asked what was wrong, i told them the home button wasnt responsive at times and the proximity sensor was also still having trouble...no questions asked, got a new handset.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner