The Verizon iPhone, an iPhone Plus of sorts.

Youngstown

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
All of the pundits are chiming in yet again with Verizon iPhone rumors, but the latest chatter seems to be gaining traction. Supposedly, production is ready to begin on a new Cuppertino wunderphone that packs the CDMA chipset required to run on Big Red's network set to become available in Q1 2011. One pressing question still remains in my mind. What type of iPhone is it?
Along with the Verizon rumor, The Wall Street Journal also reported that the iPhone 5 was already in development. My assumption is that the iPhone 5 is not the device the wireless giant is going to be getting its hands on. The Verizon version is going to be an iPhone with some tweaks, an iPhone Plus if you will. The most likely difference will be a revamped antenna. I could not imagine a deal being agreed upon without this stipulation in place. The next addition could be a new A4 chip to power the device, possibly 1.2GHz. The new chip is likely to be included with the next iPad, so it?s within reason to speculate that it is already lurking in the pipeline. Those two changes are the only ones that jump out to me as obvious inclusions.
Even with the news that Verizon is going to light up its fancy new LTE 4G network in the major markets by end of 2010, it?s highly unlikely that this will be part of the new iPhone. I realize that Verizon?s CEO has stated that the iPhone probably wouldn?t arrive until 4G was operational, but that?s not really the game Apple plays. Remember the original iPhone? That was an EDGE device. The main reason for that decision was AT&T 3G network at the time. The rollout wasn?t at a point where it could handle the data traffic and service the majority of markets. The same thing applies to Verizon?s 4G network. Apple is one of the greatest marketing companies we have ever seen. They aren?t going to be touting a service on one of their smartphones that most of their customer base doesn?t have access to.
So what about the iPhone 5? That?s probably still going to incubate for a while before it is released upon the masses. LeBron James thought he experienced backlash from his decision, could you imagine if Verizon got the iPhone 5 less than a year after the after the fourth generation was released? A brigade headed by AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega would probably come pounding on Steve Jobs? door with pitchforks and axes.
Let me know what you guys think. Am I on the right track here or do I have it all wrong? One thing is for sure, if this thing is for real, I?m ready to watch those so-called Android fanboys eat crow after they make the jump to iOS goodness.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think we may just see a iPhone 5 early next year. The iPhone 5 will either be a tweaked iPhone 4, or a whole new design with a larger screen and smaller horizontal home button. CDMA and LTE ready.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I think we may just see a iPhone 5 early next year. The iPhone 5 will either be a tweaked iPhone 4, or a whole new design with a larger screen and smaller horizontal home button. CDMA and LTE ready.

Not sure on the design, but you may be right.

I'm absolutely sure that you will be right about it being LTE ready and in 2 variations: GSM for AT&T and most of the rest of the world, and CDMA; likely for Verizon though it could be for any number of other carriers as well. It may very well have both CDMA and GSM antennas in it at the same time if they can get a pleasing form factor with this. There are a lot of Blackberries in the past that have done this (Storm 1 & 2, 8830 World Phone, just to name a few)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
There won't be a processor change. Probably not an antenna change either. That would piss off the AT&T customers and there would definitely be a class-action lawsuit placed against Apple, which they would most likely lose due to the media stipulation.

The only change I'd like to see to the home button is making it a gesture area instead. I jailbroke my iPhone and swiping in from the bottom to open multitasking was freaking cool.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There won't be a processor change. Probably not an antenna change either. That would piss off the AT&T customers and there would definitely be a class-action lawsuit placed against Apple, which they would most likely lose due to the media stipulation.

So everyone who bought a 3GS a week before the iPhone 4 was annouced could have sued? What about those who bought iPods on the day the new ones were announced? OMG LETS SUE APPLE!.

Please, get real. There would be no lawsuit. Apple can change then design anyway they want. Plus for most general people they just want a phone that works, not a phone thats all about sex.

The only change I'd like to see to the home button is making it a gesture area instead. I jailbroke my iPhone and swiping in from the bottom to open multitasking was freaking cool.

Na. Theres a reason why its called a HOME button, and not a multitasking button or a gesture button.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Chris,

If they solve the antenna issue and release the iPhone 4 with a repaired antenna and are not going to provide that iPhone as a replacement to those in low signal areas, there will definitely be a big lawsuit. It's not the same as what you said. They released a product with a major flaw, if they repair that flaw and aren't willing to replace the flawed units with a new unit, they're in big ****.

Knowing apple they would offer replacements to anyone who does suffer because of the signal issue, however there are too many millions of people now who would want a replacement. They will have to wait until June to release a phone with a completely new design with a different antenna so that people can upgrade to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2