Question re: syncing to a new computer.

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone-

This may be a silly question, but I just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered before I try this ...

I previously synced my iPhone with a copy of iTunes on my desktop computer. Although the iTunes software was installed on the desktop's "C" drive, the actual iTunes library and database files, along with all the media files, were located on an external hard drive, "F" -- specifically, under "F:/My iTunes."

My desktop crashed, so I now need to sync with my laptop.

Now, presumably, as long as I ensure that the external hard drive still appears as drive letter "F" on my laptop, there will not be any problems with iTunes reading the library files and linking up all my media.

However, what I'm not so sure about is what will happen when I plug in my iPhone. Will it recognize that this is the same library that I have always synced with, and it won't matter that it's on a different computer? Or, will the fact that it's on a different computer lead to problems for me?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately the library file is located under your windows user section so your Phone is going to know somethings up.

as long as the files are the same and you have apps and such go ahead and sync with your laptop and say yes to the "erase and sync?" question it might take a little bit but ultimately nothing will have changed on your phone but it will be able to sync with the laptop again.

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
unfortunately the library file is located under your windows user section so your Phone is going to know somethings up.

as long as the files are the same and you have apps and such go ahead and sync with your laptop and say yes to the "erase and sync?" question it might take a little bit but ultimately nothing will have changed on your phone but it will be able to sync with the laptop again.

Actually, the ITL file is also on my external hard drive.

Will I still have problems?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro