Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default when receiving a call or making a call I keep hiting the mute button with my ear

Has anyone else got this problem.When I receive a call, sometimes I can hit the mute or contacts button with my ear.Adrian
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,819 Global Posts

Yes, this is the age old proximity sensor problem. Go ahead and update your phone to 4.1 and it should alleviate your issues.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

I am on 4.1 at the moment any other ideas.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,592 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrianlandy View Post
    I am on 4.1 at the moment any other ideas.
    You can also hold the phone a little bit lower down. The proximity sensor is right above the ear speaker. If it's not covered sufficiently when you're on a call, it will turn the screen back on. If that doesn't solve your problem, take it to the Genius Bar. They'll swap it out for you. I had the same problem, and they gave me a new one and this one seems fine.
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Proximity sensor issue was not fixed 100% on 4.1...just have to deal with it until it is unfortunately. Hopefully 4.2 will have another revamp of the sensor to adjust it better and fix it fully.
    ptb127 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts

I have a related question...if you're using FaceTime and press the home button mid-call, the video gets backgrounded but the call is still going as a VOIP call. What happens if you put the phone to your ear at that point? Does the sensor trip and make the screen go dark, or does your ear hit the "touch to return to call" bar at the top of the screen and re-open the video?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Proximity sensor issue was not fixed 100% on 4.1...just have to deal with it until it is unfortunately. Hopefully 4.2 will have another revamp of the sensor to adjust it better and fix it fully.
    Still amazes me how they can't get it right. I don't understand how they could release an update and not get it right. Why can't they release 4.1.1 to fix the sensor???
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

My guess? They cant figure out how without causing another issue...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,819 Global Posts

I think some people may have more air in between their ears, which is why it hasn't been fixed 100%. lol
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    I think some people may have more air in between their ears, which is why it hasn't been fixed 100%. lol
    +1 for that one