Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    MustangLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    775 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default AT&T 4G being tested in Dallas and Baltimore

    AT&T 4G for Dallas and Baltimore | 4G Phones

    Thought some people would be interested.
    Current White Iphone 4 8GB JB Evasi0n 7.0.4 because of budget reasons
    2011-12 White Iphone 4S 16 GB
    2011 White Iphone4 - 16GB
    2009-2011 Black Iphone 3GS 16 GB
  2. #2  
    liquidzoo's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.3.3

    Default

    As long as the 4g data plans don't cost as much as the big red V's plans are going to cost, I'll be happy.

    Last I heard VZW was planning on $60/mo for 2GB/mo 4g data... That's harsh.
  3. #3  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    That's awesome. So uh, how is it working for you? That's right, nothing supports it just yet.
  4. #4  
    liquidzoo's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.3.3

    Default

    I guarantee the testing they're doing is with laptop cards and my-fi devices.
  5. #5  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
    As long as the 4g data plans don't cost as much as the big red V's plans are going to cost, I'll be happy.

    Last I heard VZW was planning on $60/mo for 2GB/mo 4g data... That's harsh.
    This would be my pricing tier:

    3G prices:

    $15 - 500 megs

    $25 - 2 gigs

    $40 - 5 gigs

    $80 - Unlimited

    4G prices:

    Add $15 to any option above except unlimited. $120 for unlimited. You want to use the top speeds? You have to pay.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    MustangLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    775 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    This would be my pricing tier:

    3G prices:

    $15 - 500 megs

    $25 - 2 gigs

    $40 - 5 gigs

    $80 - Unlimited

    4G prices:

    Add $15 to any option above except unlimited. $120 for unlimited. You want to use the top speeds? You have to pay.
    Who is going to cross over more than 2 gigs on a phone. I've heard before at&t's unlimited is really 2 Gigs and nobody really passes that mark. Phone plans are to freakin expensive as it is. With unlimited or 1500 texts messages added with that along with whatever minute plan you have.
    Current White Iphone 4 8GB JB Evasi0n 7.0.4 because of budget reasons
    2011-12 White Iphone 4S 16 GB
    2011 White Iphone4 - 16GB
    2009-2011 Black Iphone 3GS 16 GB
  7. #7  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
    Who is going to cross over more than 2 gigs on a phone. I've heard before at&t's unlimited is really 2 Gigs and nobody really passes that mark. Phone plans are to freakin expensive as it is. With unlimited or 1500 texts messages added with that along with whatever minute plan you have.
    I pass that 2 gig limit easily. Since our web filters block streaming media, I listen to our local morning show on my phone. I look at youtube on my phone using Safari in high quality mode. I also use Citrix receiver on my phone to work on our servers and stuff, although that feature is new to us and has only been in play for about two weeks. 2 gigs isn't a lot. If you aren't using your phone heavily and gobbling data, why have it in the first place? It's supposed to be a smartphone, not some silly feature phone that only does text and voice.
  8. #8  
    j7469's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    362 Posts
    Global Posts
    761 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
    Who is going to cross over more than 2 gigs on a phone. I've heard before at&t's unlimited is really 2 Gigs and nobody really passes that mark.
    I pass 2GB every month. The unlimited is really something around a 5GB cap. If you consistently go over the 5GB they will charge you more. If it's once or twice they will just ask you to use less.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    I pass that 2 gig limit easily. Since our web filters block streaming media, I listen to our local morning show on my phone. I
    Same here. After everyone (besides me) streamed the World Cup at work, they put limits on the computers to stop streaming services. Now I have to use my phone to listen to sports talk and other radio programs that I can't get over the air in a clean room.
  9. #9  
    robes1's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts

    Default

    This really pisses (is that a word?) me off!!! I happen to know for a fact that there are MILLIONS, that's right MILLIONS of people that have iPhones and no 3G coverage! Millions!!!! How could they be moving on to 4G when the VAST MAJORITY of their customers still use EDGE (THE WORST DATA NETWORK AVAILABLE IN AMERICA!!) on a daily basis! Is this just a big F*@K YOU to me and those millions of people? I think so!!! I've kept the faith just like the rest of them and made an *** of myself assuming that they would one day give a damn about the VAST MAJORITY of their customers and give us what we deserve! But of course that day is obviously not in the hearts and minds of AT&T executives! They get upset when Verizon shows their real 3G coverage map but they don't do anything to fix it. Why would you only focus on the areas where people huddle together like they'll never have to come out of those huddles. There is life outside of San Francisco and New York City! What do the rest of us have to do? We should hold a demonstration on top of the AT&T headquarters and drop our iPhones from the very top of the building onto those executives every time one of them tries to leave! An iPhone dropped from 30-40 floors up onto the head of some ***** should finally get somebody to pay attention!!! No wonder 23% of your customers are waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone!!
  10. #10  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robes1 View Post
    This really pisses (is that a word?) me off!!! I happen to know for a fact that there are MILLIONS, that's right MILLIONS of people that have iPhones and no 3G coverage! Millions!!!! How could they be moving on to 4G when the VAST MAJORITY of their customers still use EDGE (THE WORST DATA NETWORK AVAILABLE IN AMERICA!!) on a daily basis! Is this just a big F*@K YOU to me and those millions of people? I think so!!! I've kept the faith just like the rest of them and made an *** of myself assuming that they would one day give a damn about the VAST MAJORITY of their customers and give us what we deserve! But of course that day is obviously not in the hearts and minds of AT&T executives! They get upset when Verizon shows their real 3G coverage map but they don't do anything to fix it. Why would you only focus on the areas where people huddle together like they'll never have to come out of those huddles. There is life outside of San Francisco and New York City! What do the rest of us have to do? We should hold a demonstration on top of the AT&T headquarters and drop our iPhones from the very top of the building onto those executives every time one of them tries to leave! An iPhone dropped from 30-40 floors up onto the head of some ***** should finally get somebody to pay attention!!! No wonder 23% of your customers are waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone!!
    3G reaches more than 90% of AT&T's customers. For those 10% who don't get it? I don't know what to tell you. Verizon doesn't cover everyone either with 3G. Some fall back on 1xRTT. There are even some places in the US where they can't get landlines due to territorial obstacles. Quit whining.
  11. #11  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,691 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default

    Nice, I live an hour west of Baltimore so hopefully that means my area will be amoung the first with 4G from AT&T.
  12. #12  
    Slyfi's Avatar
    TiPb Forum Staff

    Posts
    706 Posts
    iOS Version
    The latest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robes1 View Post
    This really pisses (is that a word?) me off!!! I happen to know for a fact that there are MILLIONS, that's right MILLIONS of people that have iPhones and no 3G coverage! Millions!!!! How could they be moving on to 4G when the VAST MAJORITY of their customers still use EDGE (THE WORST DATA NETWORK AVAILABLE IN AMERICA!!) on a daily basis! Is this just a big F*@K YOU to me and those millions of people? I think so!!! I've kept the faith just like the rest of them and made an *** of myself assuming that they would one day give a damn about the VAST MAJORITY of their customers and give us what we deserve! But of course that day is obviously not in the hearts and minds of AT&T executives! They get upset when Verizon shows their real 3G coverage map but they don't do anything to fix it. Why would you only focus on the areas where people huddle together like they'll never have to come out of those huddles. There is life outside of San Francisco and New York City! What do the rest of us have to do? We should hold a demonstration on top of the AT&T headquarters and drop our iPhones from the very top of the building onto those executives every time one of them tries to leave! An iPhone dropped from 30-40 floors up onto the head of some ***** should finally get somebody to pay attention!!! No wonder 23% of your customers are waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone!!
    what you dont see is the fact that verizon is donating all of there resources to get the lte up running in the 30 football citys while AT&T is testing in 2 citys but mean while they are getting all there exsiting towers up to standard (even the edge network towers ) and move all of them up to gigabite ethernet cables so you can go faster and faster calm down as far as looking out for there cutomers AT&T really does try there hardest
    The Cake is a Lie!

    iPhone 4 black 32gb

    follow on twitter @Slyfies and join the party
  13. #13  
    robes1's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    3G reaches more than 90% of AT&T's customers. For those 10% who don't get it? I don't know what to tell you. Verizon doesn't cover everyone either with 3G. Some fall back on 1xRTT. There are even some places in the US where they can't get landlines due to territorial obstacles. Quit whining.
    Could you be any more "WRONG?" So do you work for AT&T or is there an executive skeeting in your mouth on a regular basis? You must be smoking some of the most high quality crack ever cooked up!! Go to AT&T's site and look at their own 3G map!!! 90%?!!! HAAA!!!!!!!!! You mean 90% of the people in NYC? That sounds more like it! Like I said. Go to AT&Ts site and look at their 3G map. They don't even make that bull**** 90% claim themselves! Who do you work for? Or better yet...Who's f&#King you? Nevermind! Just bend over!!! LMAO!!!
  14. #14  
    robes1's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts

    Default

    Also I can take you to 4 AT&T stores in different cities where they don't even have 3G coverage!!! How do you put a store in a city and take its peoples money while telling them to kiss your ***?! Pull AT&T's **** out of your mouth dude! I'm the biggest fan of the iPhone that anyone will ever find. I've had every one since the very first. Every time I give them away or just use them for an iPod and go back to Verizon. All because of the AT&T EDGE data network that the "VAST MAJORITY" of AT&T's customers are stuck with! There's a MAP for that!!! LOL!
  15. #15  
    robes1's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfi View Post
    what you dont see is the fact that verizon is donating all of there resources to get the lte up running in the 30 football citys while AT&T is testing in 2 citys but mean while they are getting all there exsiting towers up to standard (even the edge network towers ) and move all of them up to gigabite ethernet cables so you can go faster and faster calm down as far as looking out for there cutomers AT&T really does try there hardest
    I really hope with all my heart that you're right! That's excellent news if its true. I'm tired of feeling left out. Apple and other companies spend a ton of money to bring us super fast phones with brilliant screens and screaming processors. They deserve better and so do the end users!! Thanks for the info.!
  16. #16  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    First off, you need to watch your little mouth or you'll be gone out of here quickly. Second, look at the coverage maps again. Yes 3G is available in many markets and most of the nations population live in those areas. Some cities in America have more people in it than several states. Hell even the foxconn factories have more people than some states.

    The 3G coverage map may be small, but relative to the population in America, it's a lot more than you think. I double checked my stats and AT&T does cover 97% of America with gsm coverage with 75% having 3G access. So I was slightly wrong. Not my fault you choose to live somewhere that doesn't have 3G. I have 3G. Yay for me.

    BTW, I work for homebuilder.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 09-21-2010 at 11:23 PM.
  17. #17  
    robes1's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    First off, you need to watch your little mouth or you'll be gone out of here quickly. Second, look at the coverage maps again. Yes 3G is available in many markets and most of the nations population live in those areas. Some cities in America have more people in it than several states. Hell even the foxconn factories have more people than some states.

    The 3G coverage map may be small, but relative to the population in America, it's a lot more than you think. I double checked my stats and AT&T does cover 97% of America with gsm coverage with 75% having 3G access. So I was slightly wrong. Not my fault you choose to live somewhere that doesn't have 3G. I have 3G. Yay for me.

    BTW, I work for homebuilder.
    75% is wrong too dude!! Do you believe everything you read? What do you expect them to say? "Well the truth is we really don't cover half of our people with 3G!" I don't believe them or anybody they gave money to, to talk for them. I've been to too many cities that don't have 3G to believe that. And when the people in the cities with 3G leave those city limits, then what? Edge! Edge shouldn't even exist in 2010!!
  18. #18  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    That facts are there, you choose to ignore them. It's all public record. Go look it up. Every single town I've been to, in many different states, has had 3G coverage. San Antonio, austin, seattle, warden, wa (population less than 3,000), tri cities washington....I can go on. Sorry I don't visit Nowhere, Montana or wherever you live. Sounds like you'll only believe one person, and that's you. So no matter what is told to you or shown to you, you won't believe it anyways, so what's the point?

    I have 3G, a good chunk of the users on here will have it, and you don't. Quit crying and get over it.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 09-21-2010 at 11:54 PM.
  19. #19  
    Slyfi's Avatar
    TiPb Forum Staff

    Posts
    706 Posts
    iOS Version
    The latest

    Default

    AT&T covers 75% of the population in the same way that rhode island get three electoral votes and Wyoming gets 1 it's all about population density

    Look at the majority of the mid west half of it is unpopulated the other half has a ratio of 1:200miles^2 the maps mean nothing actual numbers do
    The Cake is a Lie!

    iPhone 4 black 32gb

    follow on twitter @Slyfies and join the party
  20. #20  
    iquinn's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    532 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robes1 View Post
    75% is wrong too dude!! Do you believe everything you read? What do you expect them to say? "Well the truth is we really don't cover half of our people with 3G!" I don't believe them or anybody they gave money to, to talk for them. I've been to too many cities that don't have 3G to believe that. And when the people in the cities with 3G leave those city limits, then what? Edge! Edge shouldn't even exist in 2010!!
    You sir are a moron. No one on this site will ever believe everything that we read, but at least we do read so we have some idea what we are talking about. Unlike a person such as yourself who clearly has none. Do us all a favor, leave TiPb and never come back. You have nothing useful to say so there is no reason for you to be here.
    @SinCityMac on twitter
    Hardware: iPhone 4S 16gig black
    Macbook Pro
    iPad Mini 16gig wi-fi
    Thanked by:
    McIPhone (09-22-2010)
  21. #21  
    jonmark's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    270 Posts
    Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robes1 View Post
    Could you be any more "WRONG?" So do you work for AT&T or is there an executive skeeting in your mouth on a regular basis? You must be smoking some of the most high quality crack ever cooked up!! Go to AT&T's site and look at their own 3G map!!! 90%?!!! HAAA!!!!!!!!! You mean 90% of the people in NYC? That sounds more like it! Like I said. Go to AT&Ts site and look at their 3G map. They don't even make that bull**** 90% claim themselves! Who do you work for? Or better yet...Who's f&#King you? Nevermind! Just bend over!!! LMAO!!!
    Somebody needs a hug.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

    Follow me on Twitter: JonMarkCarmona
  22. #22  
    slalomskie's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    476 Posts

    Default

    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insane. Personally I wouldn't purchase a new iPhone every single time they come out with a new one, then get rid of it because At&T does not have 3g service in your area and go back to verizon.
    Steve Jobs created iCloud so he would have somewhere to go when he died and still be with Apple.
  23. #23  
    jumpman2033's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    90 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slalomskie View Post
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insane. Personally I wouldn't purchase a new iPhone every single time they come out with a new one, then get rid of it because At&T does not have 3g service in your area and go back to verizon.
    I found that funny as h#ll. Why in the world would you buy a phone to simply say you own it just to give it away or use it for something far under what it was designed for?

    I guess he wanted to feel part of a group, then start bashing that group because he feels left out, lol.
  24. #24  
    McIPhone's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JonMark View Post
    Somebody needs a hug.
    If he needs a hug, may I suggest Battle Bears?
  25. #25  
    BryanTheRed's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    364 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McIPhone View Post
    If he needs a hug, may I suggest Battle Bears?
    I was going to suggest a perma ban! Like my signature says....
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
     iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray (64GB) iPad Mini White (16GB) Mid 2014 MacBook Pro 

Posting Permissions