Textin

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As opposed to the "good choice" of not texting while driving, right? Based on the logic that if you don't do it, you eliminate the problem...correct?

Where does that logic end though, by it's own nature, driving a car period is a bad choice when you don't have to, so why do it if you risk your own life or others?

That's when it becomes funny to me, when it becomes less a matter of being a dangerous habit, and turns into a "bad choice"...smoking is a "bad choice", regardless of how much you do it, it's always, 100% of the time damaging your body...texting while driving becomes a bad choice when you don't have control of your car and you plow into an 18 wheeler...up until that point, if you have control, it's no worse a choice than looking down to set the climate control or change the radio station...

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
As opposed to the "good choice" of not texting while driving, right? Based on the logic that if you don't do it, you eliminate the problem...correct?

Where does that logic end though, by it's own nature, driving a car period is a bad choice when you don't have to, so why do it if you risk your own life or others?

That's when it becomes funny to me, when it becomes less a matter of being a dangerous habit, and turns into a "bad choice"...smoking is a "bad choice", regardless of how much you do it, it's always, 100% of the time damaging your body...texting while driving becomes a bad choice when you don't have control of your car and you plow into an 18 wheeler...up until that point, if you have control, it's no worse a choice than looking down to set the climate control or change the radio station...

You're extrapolating the logic nearly into the realm of the absurd. Of course you can't eliminate all risk of danger from your life, most notably that risk which comes from outside of your control. A greater or lesser degree of risk exists in absolutely everything we do and it is worth it because of whatever reward that comes from managing those risks. Texting and driving is absolutely inside the scope of your control, and its unnecessary. The reward of sending a meaningless text to whomever is not worth even the slight chance that, while being distracted by typing on your phone, you don't see someone walk out into the street in front of your car and end up hitting them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're extrapolating the logic nearly into the realm of the absurd.

And finally someone see's what it feels like to see this text crap being regurgitated like it has been in here...again, you take your own opinion and try to push it as fact. The truth of it is, it doesnt matter whether YOU think a text is worthless...it could mean the WORLD to someone else in a different scenario, i've received text messages in my life that have changed my world, most dont...but in that, just because 98% of my text messages are just jibber jabber means NOTHING in the realm of someone else who feels they mean more.

So your entire argument is based in a formula where the meat and potatoes is that the content of a text message isnt important enough to justify the distraction (to whatever degree)...right? Says who? You? Who are you? Maybe your conversations hold no importance over a text message, maybe the guy next to you has his life change in a text message...your logic in that couldnt be more moot.

My friend spent 6 years in Iraq...he missed 2 WHOLE YEARS of his sons life over there...when he came home or went to leave areas (like germany and england), he got pictures of his son over text messages, he got loving notes from his wife over text messages and he sent the same back...he was almost killed by an IED and lost one of his legs and couldnt talk (due to his jaw being wired shut) and had text messages to communicate (as well as email)...you can ***** and complain all you want to but i guarantee you that he and his wife janice BOTH found the text messages they may have received while driving to be ultimately important and worth it...argue all you want, your opinions amount to nothing just like everyone else...what's the saying about opinions and assholes? Thanks.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
The messages would've disappeared if they waited? Would they have meant something different had they read them five minutes later? No. Talk about life changing, what if someone had to swerve at the exact moment she was looking down at her phone receiving a loving message? Things like this happen all the time. One is better off paying attention to the road.

There is nothing that can't wait. And if someone is so eagerly anticipating knowing the content of the text they just received, they can pull over and read it. If it is that important then adding a minute to your commute is worth it, right?

This type of thinking is the type of thinking that shows no respect for the drivers around the driver in question. It isn't just to protect yourself that one should refrain from texting. It is to protect the mother in the next car or the child in the car in front of you. Or the man to your left going home for the first time since he got back from Iraq.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm really quite bored with this. Your not really understanding the logic of my argument. And my logic is sound. You keep diverting to other topics and talking down to other posters, or making absurd assumptions. This not debating. It has turned into you ranting while others try and help you see logic. But it isn't working and I am losing interest. I have more important things to do like scrape the crud from under my big toe.

There have been a few points that were valid, and I have taken them into consideration. But now it is the same argument over and over. So now, as some else stated earlier, I feel that this thread is dead and nothing more can be accomplished from it.

Last edited:

LilyAlisons

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Courtyard sooner than Marriott Shanghai Puxi opens in interchange proprietorship

Courtyard whilom Marriott Shanghai Puxi opens in the order of duty
valentino ysl bags christian louboutin sale bymoncler com]moncler coats Herve Leger Dress

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not to take anything away from the deaths reported in that study, which are very tragic...but if you actually read the article, you'd see the increase in deaths was issued to "by distraction", which includes, but is not limited to text messages.

Then again, I'm just a dangerous, wreckless, selfish criminal who can't be "taught" anything, so what would I know, lmao.

I have to ask though, what exactly are you trying to teach that many of us arnt getting? That texting can be dangerous while driving? If you go back and read my posts, you'd clearly see that I don't argue that in the least! It's very obvious it can be fatal! But so can dozens of other distractions...and it all depends on the person who is texting whether or not a dangerous situation is at hand...sure, it distracts every person who does it, but whether or not it creates a dangerous situation, that is not a generalization that can be made, but that point has been argued enough, if you dont get it or don't agree, oh well.

But I guess you better hide the kids, hide your wife and husbands! These crazy text drivers are killing everyone!

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
You can be distracted by children in the car, which in turn can result in a fatal accident...does this make driving with children in the car the same as driving drunk?

To associate drunk drivers and those who do other things while driving (text, talk, eat, etc) is asinine, period.

Have you ever changed a radio station on your car radio while driving? Or reached in the back seat to grab something and took your eyes off the road? In these instances should one be compared to a drunk driver? If you think so, you're foolish and a hypocrite.

As a law enforcement officer, I spend most of my days on the road, and the truth is, most of the accidents that occur happen because most people on the road don't have the first clue on how to react offensively to a dangerous situation...those of you who want to support the no texting while driving cause and accuse people of being dangerous drivers should focus on education and reaction vs just texting, I guarantee you that it'll save more lives AND, in the effort of killing two birds with one stone, it will keep those who can't mentally multitask well enough to BE safe while texting and driving, you'll keep them too busy observing and focusing to want to text while they drive!

Exactly what I was thinking but you put it together much better than I would have!

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
One point I'd like to make is the following. If they are going to make texting while driving illegal, then they need to make eating, putting on makeup, the radio, and a TON of other things illegal. Texting/talking on the phone is only one thing that can cause an accident yet they haven't made it illegal to eat food or for women to put makeup on while driving yet I don't see campains to ban those things.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ none of the nay Sayers will listen to you man, unless you just get jollies off of getting a rise out of these guys (like me), there's really no point.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
One point I'd like to make is the following. If they are going to make texting while driving illegal, then they need to make eating, putting on makeup, the radio, and a TON of other things illegal. Texting/talking on the phone is only one thing that can cause an accident yet they haven't made it illegal to eat food or for women to put makeup on while driving yet I don't see campains to ban those things.

I agree, and there are laws that are already enacted about distracted driving. Do search about any of those topics and you will find lots of info. The reason were talking about texting in this thread is because this particular person had almost hit me while texting so I started this thread. True there are lots of distractions but I am focused on this particular one as it seems to be one that I run into problems with the most during my commute.

There are so many distractions, in fact, that my point would be lost if we tried to discuss all of them. So I tried to break off a smaller piece of the larger problem.

Sure better driver training, like they do in Germany, would help. And sure knowing your limits would help too! But the fact is we do not have good driver training and some people think they are better drivers then they actually are.

So sticking to the subject of this thread and to my original point, texting and driving is a bad idea, it's not the only bad idea, but it IS the topic of this discussion, and a bad idea nonetheless. Please do not practice this dangerous activity. Not only for your safety. But the safety of those around you.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I can't believe this thread is still going. LMAO. I think we are all clear on the facts now, there are some people who think that texting and driving is a really bad idea and there are others that do not. And the really sad part is that we can all see that they are not going to agree and yet they keep trying to convince each other of their own points of view. I have to say it has made for some great reading though.:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Eh...way i see it, if someone out there benefited from either side of this argument at some point, all the bickering was worth it. Plus, it provided entertainment for myself at least for a couple of days...

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe this thread is still going. LMAO. I think we are all clear on the facts now, there are some people who think that texting and driving is a really bad idea and there are others that do not. And the really sad part is that we can all see that they are not going to agree and yet they keep trying to convince each other of their own points of view. I have to say it has made for some great reading though.:)

And the ones who don't think it's a bad idea are knuckleheads. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Update! They made texting while driving illegal! Yet there are more dummies still texting. I'm gonna buy a train horn, install it and scare the hell outta the ones I see;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Update! They made texting while driving illegal! Yet there are more dummies still texting. I'm gonna buy a train horn, install it and scare the hell outta the ones I see

lol, what if they are only dialing a phone number to make a call? ;)

which brings up another point, how are patrol officers going to make that determination as well? or is it just across the board... phone in hand, get ticket/

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal