Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default disable history delete

We want to get a iphone for my son, but I would like to know if there is a way to set up controls so that he is not able to delete his texting history.

Thanks
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

There is no need to worry about his deleting his texting history - you can see who he's texting, when he's texting, and from whom he's receiving texts right on your AT&T bill.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

But she wouldn't be able to see what he's texting, which I imagine is the important issue.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Perhaps the iphone configuration utility?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

iPhone configuration utility does not have any settings to disable deleting text messages.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts

No, there isn't a way to keep his text history. The down part of the iPhone is you can delete individual texts from the threaded history. So he can delete parts but keep others...

If you need to be keeping track of his texts, an iPhone is not what you should get him. I suggest an iPod Touch and a normal phone.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's probably worth mentioning too that any kid could likely find a way around that restriction, even just by using a different messaging app.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

If you trust your child so little that you want to view all his sms, you shouldn't allow him to have a phone with an sms plan.
    Thanked by:
    iquinn (09-20-2010)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    If you trust your child so little that you want to view all his sms, you shouldn't allow him to have a phone with an sms plan.
    BAM! The voice of logic.
    iPhone Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Very well put, if it is that big of an issue then the child is not ready to have any cell phone let alone an iPhone.
    @SinCityMac on twitter
    Hardware: iPhone 4S 16gig black
    Macbook Pro
    iPad Mini 16gig wi-fi
    iPhone Beginner

If the child knows you are going to view their texts, then they will find another way to communicate. You can't monitor their phone calls, Instant Messaging, personal messages on Facebook and Myspace, email (if they delete it right away), webchats, and face to face conversations, so let it alone. In this day and age, you can either lock your kid in the basement, or do your best to instill morals and values and hope for the best. Trust me, my parents reading my texts and emails was the least of my concerns. A good trouble maker knows never to leave writen evidence
    iPhone Nanite

Default Idiots

You people don't research things very well do you? If you get him an iPhone you are most definitely going to need to jailbreak it. By doing that you are able to install software on the phone that will monitor EVERYTHING THE PHONE DOES. you can even see in real time his iPhones screen from your computer monitor. The software runs in the background and they will never know it's there.

The website is w w w (dot) mobile - spy (dot) com. Instructions on how to do everything are on the site and they have customer support if you need help. Hah, Please the iPhone is the BEST phone to get someone if you want to monitor what they do.

Btw there's also gps tracking. See where your son is at all times.

*****ALSO, DOES NOT WORK WITH VERIZON IPHONE. ******
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by jumpman2033 View Post
    If the child knows you are going to view their texts, then they will find another way to communicate. You can't monitor their phone calls, Instant Messaging, personal messages on Facebook and Myspace, email (if they delete it right away), webchats, and face to face conversations

Well then you quite obviously would not tell them then would you?
    iMore Intermediate

Do you fear your son to be a drug dealer or a pimp? I mean, surely their gonna try to hide things and before they ever say anything that would get them in trouble they would make sure they could delete the text messages first. And when they find out they can't their just gonna find an app that will let them or their going to find other means of saying the inappropriate things such as say email.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,604 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

This thread is starting to sound like Big Brother! Forget the phone, and get him two cans and a long string.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    iPhone Nanite

Default Wow, some of you people are true idiots.....

First, just answer the question regarding disabling text deletion on an iPhone. No one needs your critique regarding parental trust. Secondly, for some of us parents, it is not just about what our child is texting to others. We want to know what others are texting our children. Have you heard of cyberbullying? Third, I trust my child. But there is still a lot about life that she doesn't understand yet. That is where us parents come in. We SUPERVISE our children...monitoring their behaviors so that we can guide them and make sure they take the right paths and make accurate decisions. Some of you should just stick with discussing technology on tech forums and stay away from having kids.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,497 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by StoicBlade View Post
    First, just answer the question regarding disabling text deletion on an iPhone. No one needs your critique regarding parental trust. Secondly, for some of us parents, it is not just about what our child is texting to others. We want to know what others are texting our children. Have you heard of cyberbullying? Third, I trust my child. But there is still a lot about life that she doesn't understand yet. That is where us parents come in. We SUPERVISE our children...monitoring their behaviors so that we can guide them and make sure they take the right paths and make accurate decisions. Some of you should just stick with discussing technology on tech forums and stay away from having kids.
    Way to bring up a thread that is over a year old. I am sorry but i am a firm believer that if you want a child to have a cell phone it should be a dumb phone without a texting plan. If that child is old enough to work and wants to pay the monthly bill then fine. I myself never had the opportunity to have a cell phone as a teen because they weren't around back then. I got my first cell phone in 1997 when i was in the military to call back home to the wife when i was at work. i think in the year i had it, i used it once. I didn't get another cell phone again until 2001 when i got a nextel for work. I didn't get my first smart phone until 2 years ago because i didn't feel the need.
    And finally your first and probably last post in this forum shouldn't start off so rude, as more than likely most people will be reluctant to help you if you come off as a jerk.

Global Posts
    19,364 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by StoicBlade View Post
    ...(snipped)...for some of us parents, it is not just about what our child is texting to others. We want to know what others are texting our children. Have you heard of cyberbullying? Third, I trust my child. But there is still a lot about life that she doesn't understand yet. That is where us parents come in. We SUPERVISE our children...monitoring their behaviors so that we can guide them and make sure they take the right paths and make accurate decisions.
    We are definitely on the same page here, my friend
    Some of you should just stick with discussing technology on tech forums and stay away from having kids.
    That's a tad but harsh. Just agree to disagree on some things and leave it at that.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)