Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Default Help! How to transfer music from iPod to iPhone?

My hubby has an iPod nano with his own iTunes library on his laptop. When he got the iPod, he laboriously downloaded every music CD we own into laptop to sync to iPod. I have just gotten an iPhone 4 and have set up my own iTunes account on my desktop PC. I would like to put our CD collection on my iPhone. I don't want to load every freakin' CD. Is there any way to get hubby's music from his iPod onto my iPhone?

I read the iTunes stuff about Home Sharing but it says both computers have to have the same iTunes account name and password. We have two accounts. I don't know how to make this work...

We have a wi-fi router/cable modem combo at home. We use the wi-fi for his laptop, his blackberry and my iPhone. My desktop is "wired" via the cable.

Help!
    iPhone 4, 32Gb
    iPad 2, 32Gb
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Set iTunes on your computer to manual sync and then sync the songs over.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post
    Set iTunes on your computer to manual sync and then sync the songs over.
    To make sure I understand... Open MY iTunes account on MY PC and connect HIS iPod via USB and do manual sync? Then assuming it works, connect MY iPhone to MY PC and sync again?
    iPhone 4, 32Gb
    iPad 2, 32Gb
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
    To make sure I understand... Open MY iTunes account on MY PC and connect HIS iPod via USB and do manual sync? Then assuming it works, connect MY iPhone to MY PC and sync again?
    Yes. Make sure you check the Manually manage music and videos checkbox on the device summary screen (at least that is where it is and what it is called on Mac iTunes.)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Or...since your husband has already done the work of putting all the cd's into his iTunes on his computer - just use your home network to copy every song off his computer onto yours.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,603 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The music is on his laptop and you want to sync your iPhone with your desktop?

All you need to do is get the music onto your desktop. You need an external drive with enough space to move it all, or you can do it in chunks. Put those files into the music folder on your computer and then iTunes should find the songs. Now they are on your computer and you just sync your iPhone.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I have an ipod mini 1st generation, and want to transfer all the music over to my new ip4...
    Any easy way of going about it? I'm somewhat new to apple products as you can see....
    TiPb Forum Staff

iOS Version
    The latest

Quote Originally Posted by triumph.man View Post
    I have an ipod mini 1st generation, and want to transfer all the music over to my new ip4...
    Any easy way of going about it? I'm somewhat new to apple products as you can see....
    read the post above? but anyways just make sure the music that is on your Mini is o what ever computer your syncing your IP4 with. then sync...done
    The Cake is a Lie!

iPhone 4 black 32gb

follow on twitter @Slyfies and join the party
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I did but can't figure out how to sync from my ipod to ip4 on this itunes 9.

I've tried the help function on itunes, but no avail...is there a tutorial by any chance?
    iMore Newbie

Isn't this exactly what home share does? Both computers need to be on with both iTunes accounts open. If they are attached to the same network, you should be able to open "home share." Click on home share in the left column and choose what music you want to copy to your account.
    TiPb Forum Staff

iOS Version
    The latest

Quote Originally Posted by triumph.man View Post
    I did but can't figure out how to sync from my ipod to ip4 on this itunes 9.

I've tried the help function on itunes, but no avail...is there a tutorial by any chance?
    You keep saying sync iPod to ip4... There separate devices you can't sync them together...
    The Cake is a Lie!

iPhone 4 black 32gb

follow on twitter @Slyfies and join the party