How to tether iPhone date on iOS 4.0.1?

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering how I can enable the native iPhone tethering on ios 4.0.1. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm jailbroken but I don't want to shell out 20 bucks for MyWi. Is there any way to just tether natively? Also I have the unlimited data plan so tethering shouldn't be a problem.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering how I can enable the native iPhone tethering on ios 4.0.1. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm jailbroken but I don't want to shell out 20 bucks for MyWi. Is there any way to just tether natively? Also I have the unlimited data plan so tethering shouldn't be a problem.

to do it natively you need to change to one of the other data plans and pay a monthly fee and the data plans are not unlimited

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
So is there any other way other than MyWi?I am looking for some free alternatives maybe like PdaNet. Because I really don't think the service is worth $20.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Not to be rude, but, i mean, it's $20. The plan legally if you buy it is $20/month, you're only paying a 1 time $20 fee. So IMO don't be so cheap and just buy the damn MyWi. If not there's iTether, PDANet but either way shell out some minor duckets to get a quality app...

ducky

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
mywi is a huge bargain. plus, it helps keep the development of these awesome innovations moving.

seriously for the ease of use, portability and if you are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan it;s the way to go.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Technically, the AT&T tethering plan isn't $20/month...it actually comes out to $5/month over the unlimited data plan ($35 for data service with tethering for 2gb), my max usage thus far, after having it with the iPhone 4 has been right at 3gb/month (which adds another $10 for 1gb extra)...so $15 extra per month for really great tethering service. In my opinion, and based on my experience with air cards and Clearwire service, AT&T's iPhone tethering is a steal...

Last edited:

bluebomberx

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Technically, the AT&T tethering plan isn't $20/month...it actually comes out to $5/month over the unlimited data plan ($35 for data service with tethering for 2gb), my max usage thus far, after having it with the iPhone 4 has been right at 3gb/month (which adds another $10 for 1gb extra)...so $15 extra per month for really great tethering service. In my opinion, and based on my experience with air cards and Clearwire service, AT&T's iPhone tethering is a steal...

You can't get tethering with AT&T without losing your unlimited plan. The unlimited data plan runs $30 and the tethering runs $20. The 2GB plan is $25 and an extra GB is $10/GB. My math doesn't add up to an extra $5 per month. How are you coming up with that?

ducky

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not giving up unlimited data plan until forced to, and that is a requirement for tethering as pointed out above.

A one time fee of 20 bucks beats a never ending 5 buck monthly charge no matter how you work the math.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You can't get tethering with AT&T without losing your unlimited plan. The unlimited data plan runs $30 and the tethering runs $20. The 2GB plan is $25 and an extra GB is $10/GB. My math doesn't add up to an extra $5 per month. How are you coming up with that?

My data plan is $25/data, $10/Tethering, $10/extra GB...$45/month total, or $15 over what i was paying for the unlimited plan. I thought this was the norm? Kind of glad it was pointed out because i need to double check it and make sure that's the rate im still being charged (it is the rate i was charged for August atleast).

And i thought my post made it pretty clear i knew you couldnt tether with unlimited anymore. The problem i always had with the JB method was the fact that once you update and the JB isnt good anymore, neither is the free tethering...not to mention the stories of people being bumped from unlimited simply based on their high usage of JB'ed tethering.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
how do you figure tethering is $10? its $25 for 2GB and another $20 for tethering brining it to $45 a month for data and tethering. That in my math is $15 MORE than the $30 unlimited plus JB and using MyWi.

From AT&T website:
DataPro
Our DataPro plan is $25 per month and includes 2 GB of data (the equivalent of downloading 1,000 60-second YouTube videos every month). This plan is designed for our customers who regularly download or stream music and video, or use other high bandwidth applications. Additionally, iPhone and smartphone customers who choose DataPro will have the option to add tethering for $20 per month.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It was simply a misunderstanding of the rate on my part...when i signed up i thought the $10/month charge was what the rate was, but that was my prorated amount for the month i signed up for service...it is $20.

But again, even at that rate, im still beating out clearwire and sprint service, both of which cost more and didnt provide as good or better service than the tethering.

Now call off your hordes of pitchfork wielding hostels, just an error folks.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I don't think PDANet is free, either. I think it's a trial or something, unless it's changed.

I'm on the AT&T plan myself. It's a total ripoff but it "just works," and I'm willing to pay for "just works" over "might work sometimes" or "will probably work again after a restart" which has been my experience with PDANet.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Get TetherMe.

It allows for USB tethering and tethering over Bluetooth. Yes Bluetooth is capped at 3mb/s but good luck getting more than 3mb/s on 3G. I have it and it works great.

If you want to tether to iPad, just get iTether for the iPad.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Get TetherMe.

It allows for USB tethering and tethering over Bluetooth. Yes Bluetooth is capped at 3mb/s but good luck getting more than 3mb/s on 3G. I have it and it works great.

If you want to tether to iPad, just get iTether for the iPad.

I get over 3mb/s, way over on my iP4 here in Los Angeles I average about 4mb/s...it must realy suck where you are, bummer!