Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Do You Kill Apps?

Well, I was wondering if you guys are anything like me. Usually I kill an app when I am done with it. I hate clutter. I have the worlds worst OCD. Anyway. I only ever leave Phone, SMS, Email and iPod running. Anything else I kill when I am done with it. Do you guys leave stuff running or kill it? Oh, I also keep Beejive IM running if I am using it.
    Giraffes are people too.
    Tip the scales... you know you want to.
    15" Retina MBP 2.6GHz / 512GB
    Game Center ID: Brenden
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I kill things every now and then. It would be nice if I had an option to fully exit a program that supports multitasking instead of having it run in the background.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use the Remove BG toggle in SBSettings to kill all my multitasking apps at once. I do wish I had a good way to exempt a few from being closed, though.
    iPhone Intermediate

I kill everything as soon as I'm done using it! It annoys me when something is running for no reason.
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistGirafe View Post
    Well, I was wondering if you guys are anything like me. Usually I kill an app when I am done with it. I hate clutter. I have the worlds worst OCD. Anyway. I only ever leave Phone, SMS, Email and iPod running. Anything else I kill when I am done with it. Do you guys leave stuff running or kill it? Oh, I also keep Beejive IM running if I am using it.
    I am the EXACT same as you haha. My OCD pretty much forces me to kill an app once I'm done with it. I keep Phone, Messages, Settings and maybe a game open that I play a lot. I hate clutter.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iMore Beginner

@lineskier22

You do realise that just because it's in the fast app switching tray it doesn't automatically mean it's running.

Very few apps actually keep running in the background, most are using save states and aren't doing anything at all. So "killing" them is pointless and defeats the purpose of fast app switching.
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by marketsqhero View Post
    @lineskier22

You do realise that just because it's in the fast app switching tray it doesn't automatically mean it's running.

Very few apps actually keep running in the background, most are using save states and aren't doing anything at all. So "killing" them is pointless and defeats the purpose of fast app switching.
    not pointless if you have mild OCD and don't appreciate "clutter" lol.

 iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,767 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

Maybe this will help wit da compulshunz.

iMore Expert

That would be more irritating to me lol. Then I would have to make sure that app is "killed" as well haha.

 iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
    iPhone Beginner

I kill everything once i am completely done with the phone (right before i click the sleep button). I jump in and out of apps too much to kill each one right after i've finished with it.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

I tend to kill apps right away...a habit that I brought over with me from BB unfortunately.
    iPhone Nanite

I tend to kill apps every now and again, normally if I think my battery is draining too fast I go in and kill them all and then reboot the device.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistGirafe View Post
    Anyway. I only ever leave Phone, SMS, Email
    You can't kill these apps, just remove them from the fast app switcher bar. I guess technically it's kind of killing them, but they automatically open back up a microsecond after closing.

As marketsqhero said, almost no apps in the fast task switcher are running, and most aren't even using the saved state (which doesn't use battery anyway). There are certain times when it makes sense to quit if there is a buggy app, but that's about it.

A trick for those of you with OCD, you can close more than one app at a time. When they are bouncing around down there, if your fingers are small enough, you can close 2 or 3 at a time by taping the (-) on more than one...enjoy!
    Last edited by Justin; 09-08-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    I use the Remove BG toggle in SBSettings to kill all my multitasking apps at once. I do wish I had a good way to exempt a few from being closed, though.
    I found just what your looking for... In addition to what's stated above. There is a new Remove BG app (to be used with the sb toggle) that allows you to put exemptions in for killing apps. For example my ipod and beejive never gets killed out of multitasking
    Last edited by benny5173; 09-08-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    iMore Newbie

I kill apps on occasion. I asked about really closing apps at the Apple Store. The associate said they were working on it. Who knows, maybe in 4.2. My suggestion was hold the button a second to close app and not multitask.

Mac
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If I notice stuff starting to get wonky or not be running as well as I would like I go through and kill everything. I know it's time to do it when the camera app takes 10-15 seconds to start.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Quote Originally Posted by McIPhone View Post
    My suggestion was hold the button a second to close app and not multitask.

Mac
    That would kick on the voice dial.
    iPhone Intermediate

I kill Skype and Grindr because they both seem to run when I want to close them. It's like on my Mac. Does it really do something to leave it in the background?
    iPhone Newbie

I'm doing it after every load on iPhone 4, annoys me, but I h8 anything running needlessly
    iPhone Newbie

I kill everything. Just me. I also hate the clutter!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

I kill mine most of the time. I just hate killing like ten at a time.
    iPhone Newbie

A nice App should be made called 'Kill All', one tap and it's done
    iPhone 4 - 32GB Black - iOS 4.1 - Limera1n JB
    iPhone Newbie

I periodically kill all. Depends on how heavy I'm using the device. More often than not, though, I kill as soon as I'm done with the program.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by scaramonga View Post
    A nice App should be made called 'Kill All', one tap and it's done
    haha good idea!
    iPhone Intermediate

I am pretty good about keeping my running apps clean. I'm probably not as fastidious about it as giraffe, but I clean up regularly. I like things orderly. That's also the reason I like to group apps together.
    Twitter @redbirdsm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast