Do You Kill Apps?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, I was wondering if you guys are anything like me. Usually I kill an app when I am done with it. I hate clutter. I have the worlds worst OCD. Anyway. I only ever leave Phone, SMS, Email and iPod running. Anything else I kill when I am done with it. Do you guys leave stuff running or kill it? Oh, I also keep Beejive IM running if I am using it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I kill things every now and then. It would be nice if I had an option to fully exit a program that supports multitasking instead of having it run in the background.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I use the Remove BG toggle in SBSettings to kill all my multitasking apps at once. I do wish I had a good way to exempt a few from being closed, though.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, I was wondering if you guys are anything like me. Usually I kill an app when I am done with it. I hate clutter. I have the worlds worst OCD. Anyway. I only ever leave Phone, SMS, Email and iPod running. Anything else I kill when I am done with it. Do you guys leave stuff running or kill it? Oh, I also keep Beejive IM running if I am using it.

I am the EXACT same as you haha. My OCD pretty much forces me to kill an app once I'm done with it. I keep Phone, Messages, Settings and maybe a game open that I play a lot. I hate clutter.

marketsqhero

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
@lineskier22

You do realise that just because it's in the fast app switching tray it doesn't automatically mean it's running.

Very few apps actually keep running in the background, most are using save states and aren't doing anything at all. So "killing" them is pointless and defeats the purpose of fast app switching.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
@lineskier22

You do realise that just because it's in the fast app switching tray it doesn't automatically mean it's running.

Very few apps actually keep running in the background, most are using save states and aren't doing anything at all. So "killing" them is pointless and defeats the purpose of fast app switching.

not pointless if you have mild OCD and don't appreciate "clutter" lol.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Maybe this will help wit da compulshunz.

8228cd4d.jpg

0205ff15.jpg

21c2f912.jpg

b80ed699.jpg

jumpman2033

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I kill everything once i am completely done with the phone (right before i click the sleep button). I jump in and out of apps too much to kill each one right after i've finished with it.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Anyway. I only ever leave Phone, SMS, Email

You can't kill these apps, just remove them from the fast app switcher bar. I guess technically it's kind of killing them, but they automatically open back up a microsecond after closing.

As marketsqhero said, almost no apps in the fast task switcher are running, and most aren't even using the saved state (which doesn't use battery anyway). There are certain times when it makes sense to quit if there is a buggy app, but that's about it.

A trick for those of you with OCD, you can close more than one app at a time. When they are bouncing around down there, if your fingers are small enough, you can close 2 or 3 at a time by taping the (-) on more than one...enjoy! :D

Last edited:

benny5173

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I use the Remove BG toggle in SBSettings to kill all my multitasking apps at once. I do wish I had a good way to exempt a few from being closed, though.

I found just what your looking for... In addition to what's stated above. There is a new Remove BG app (to be used with the sb toggle) that allows you to put exemptions in for killing apps. For example my ipod and beejive never gets killed out of multitasking

Last edited:

McIPhone

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I kill apps on occasion. I asked about really closing apps at the Apple Store. The associate said they were working on it. Who knows, maybe in 4.2. My suggestion was hold the button a second to close app and not multitask.

Mac

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If I notice stuff starting to get wonky or not be running as well as I would like I go through and kill everything. I know it's time to do it when the camera app takes 10-15 seconds to start.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I kill Skype and Grindr because they both seem to run when I want to close them. It's like on my Mac. Does it really do something to leave it in the background?