iOS 4.2 eventually?

French

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
So I see iPhone and iPod touch will get 4.1 next week...and 4.2 was announced for the iPad in November to include wireless printing and Airplay...but will 4.2 ever make it to iPhone and iPod Touch? To be able to push content I'm streaming on my iPod Touch to my television would be awesome. Printing seems far fetched but would be very welcomed.

DP-Jabb

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i guess these guys are heading towards events/promotions tickets printing... apple has applied for a patent in this regard

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
4.2 will be going to all devices in November is what I would put my money on.

Wrong. Try again. Where was iOS 3.2 for the iPhone/iPod Touch? Nowhere. iOS was stuck on 3.1.3 for the iPhone/iPod Touch. 4.1 for iPhone/iPod Touch, 4.2 for the iPad. Do you see a trend?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Wrong. Try again. Where was iOS 3.2 for the iPhone/iPod Touch? Nowhere. iOS was stuck on 3.1.3 for the iPhone/iPod Touch. 4.1 for iPhone/iPod Touch, 4.2 for the iPad. Do you see a trend?

Unless it was one of the many mix ups Steve had today I swear I heard him say 4.2 for all of them in November. There was iOS 2.2.X for the original and 3G.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
yes but that was prior to the iPad which has had its "own" version # since it came out.

doesnt make a whole lot of sense to put 4.1 out next week then 4.2 out a month or so after. only bug fixes would come out and that would be 4.1.x

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
If the only way to get Airplay is through 4.2 then yes both the iPhone & iTouch will get it.

From apple.com/appletv

If it?s on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, it?s*on*Apple*TV.
You can already stream music and video from your computer to Apple TV. With AirPlay, you can stream music and video from your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, too. So if you feel like watching a movie you have on one of your devices, you don?t need to rent or buy it again. Just tap to start playing content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then tap again to instantly stream whatever you?re watching ? or listening to ? directly to Apple TV. AirPlay is coming soon to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch near you.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if 4-5 months is really a pattern. When the iPad came out they were working on iOS 4 still and with the new iPhone about to launch there wasn't much reason to give the iPhone 3.2. This is the chance to get them all on the same page. The iPhone 4 has been on 4.0.x for just over 2 months and now is going to 4.1 so why not 4.2 in another 2 months?

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
In the presentation, Steve said and the slide read, explicitly, that 4.2 will be coming out to iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. We can only hope there are no delays that would set the timeline back.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I heard/read that 4.2 is only for iPad in November. Even TipB backs this up, just read the headline of this blog post:

http://www.tipb.com/2010/09/01/ios-41-iphone-ipod-touch-week-ios-42-ipad-november/

Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event September 2010

Jeez people. Blogs don't get everything correct, especially when they're writing 20 articles at a time. Watch from 19 minutes and about 15 seconds. Unless Steve/Apple made a mistake, 4.2 will be coming to iPhone and iPod touch.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site

How about you try again

ipad.jpg

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Okay, okay! Okay. So I get it, the iPhone and Touch are getting it. So, then, what are we getting, exactly? So far I've heard printing (with compatible printers) and sharing movies with Apple TV. Is that going to be all, or are there other nice enhancements coming as well?

Last edited:

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Okay, okay! Okay. So I get it, the iPhone and Touch are getting it. So, then, what are we getting, exactly? So far I've heard printing (with compatible printers) and sharing movies with Apple TV. Is that going to be all, or are there other nice enhancements coming as well?

HDR photos