Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    jiggaman2g's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

    Default My little conversion story

    I came from a loooonggggg line of blackberries and defended them like crazy! 11 years to be exact.

    Here's how it all started...Every time I would walk into a mall I would find myself casually wandering into local Telus / Apple stores and taking a peek at the 3GS and even worse when the 4 came out, but never would I think of buying one, it was like I plead some type of unspoken alliance or vow to Crackberry and my Storm 2.

    One particular visit to the Apple store in Yorkdale Mall and a very informative rep took the time and spent about 30-45 mins with me and we battled it out. Me with my Storm in hand and him an ip4 in hand. I was determined to show him how much of a toy that the iphone was (mind you a nice toy) vs my awesome business tool my BB Storm 2.

    Email top of the list "iphone has no push notifications and to fetch every 15 minutes just won't do. I own a staffing company and get resumes and client emails on a per second basis at times. We activate one of my email accounts on the ip4 and send some tests....this thing received emails seconds after my bb did!!! HUH? WTF? When did that happen? I thought that wasn't an option.... Well it was now he says...ummm ok well lets try something else....

    BBM well suffice to say that iphone does not offer bbm...BUT he shows me KIK chat (can communicate w bb phones) then PingChat and about 3 other things that are for iphone to iphone. Ok well ummm next.

    LOL I got nothing.....I dare not bring up "App World" cause the app store murders that, and browsers... pfft forget about it! iphone wins that too. I walked out the store feeling like I was carting around a prehistoric piece of technology on my waist. I had to literally peel my sons fingers off a phone as he would not stop playing this pre loaded skateboard game! As we walked out I got the "Dad why don't you get that phone? That's waaaayyyyy better than your blackberry" I had to smile and agree.

    That night I was lying in bed and responding to an email and my wife chimes in...."I'm so sick of hearing the clicking noise on that friggin phone! It's so annoying!" I had to laugh to myself, what is this a conspiracy?

    I woke up the next morning and said enough is enough! I'm not losing ANYTHING with a switch, I would actually be gaining, so I call Telus and low and behold I had all these offers on my account that I was not aware of, they gave me a ton of cash off the phone and a sweet data package for $15.00 more than my previous but then they say everywhere is out of stock. LOL I'm a go getter so I have them note my account and off to Canada411 I go. I call 1 store yes one and they say they have 2 in stock. I reserve one and grab my boy and we're off!

    Now I'm the oh so proud owner of the iphone4 and words can't describe how much more advanced this thing is compared to my Storm even the battery life kills my BB.

    Anyway I can go on and on for pages on how great I think this phone is. I often feel like going over to the CB forums and telling the others "COME OVER!!! THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER"!!! Let your defenses down! LMAO

    Anyway that's just a little about how it happened, sorry for the lonnngggg post but just like to share my little conversion story with my "new" ppls

    Oh another thing......You guys n gals are so much more peaceful and calmer here, it's refreshing......
    Last edited by jiggaman2g; 09-07-2010 at 05:47 PM.
  2. #2  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    Since I have a podcast called "Convertcast," I just hadda read this one. Great story. And yes, not only is the grass greener, but this really is one of the friendliest communities on the net.
  3. #3  
    BrindawithanI's Avatar
    iPhone Experts

    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiggaman2g View Post
    Oh another thing......You guys n gals are so much more peaceful and calmer here, it's refreshing......
    I know, right?! I was going to warn you against posting this on the CB site...and I think you know why!
  4. #4  
    E Pow's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

    Default

    Great story. Very smart of you to check out the iphone4 compared to your device. I’m glad you found iphone to be better and I wish you good luck in the future with it. Hopefully it will continue to meet all of your everyday needs.
    Sports Dad

    iPhone 5 32GB At&t
    iPad2 white 16GB
    Macbook Pro
    Apple TV 2nd generation
  5. #5  
    Ariyala's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    215 Posts

    Default

    Awesome story!! Glad to have you in the iPhone world!
  6. #6  
    DP-Jabb's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default

    Nice... i was a nokie user before iPhone 1G launch, after that its iPhone 1G,3G,3GS for me
  7. #7  
    FobBerry's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

    Default

    That is exactly the same as my 'convert' story.

    I had blackberries for years and defended them all the way now they are ancient tech and the iP4 is way better - I feel like I am free at last.
  8. #8  
    lungho's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    918 Posts
    Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

    Default

    Good story. Welcome aboard.

    While not a convert (upgraded from a Razr to a 3G way back), I have thought about jumping ship a couple of times and going to android, thinking the grass was greener. But every time I went into a mobile phone store to test drive an android device, it never felt right. The OS felt sluggish and somewhat "cobbled together".

    Long story short, for me the grass wasn't greener on the other side.
  9. #9  
    fubaracing7374's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

    Default

    Awesome story...I'm from the storm 2 and have never looked back!!! It really is greener!!!
  10. #10  
    Roo Zilla's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

    Default

    You know why this site is more peaceful? We all know we have the best phone in the world. The crackheads know deep down they don't, so they try to put us down. You should see some of the threads in the 9800 sub-forum. Some dudes in there are certifiable.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    jiggaman2g's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

    Default

    I've spent so much time on this phone so far and haven't had the slightest urge to return to the Storm at all. Definitely a happy camper!

    If anything my only two concerns with this phone is the having to use itunes to do everything (bit of a learning curve) As opposed to drag and drop which I was quite a "pro" at lol. And lastly not being able to put my own ringtones to alert me of different thing ie: have 3 diff email account and wouldn't mind a tone for each and SMS as well as Ping msgs....

    Apart from those minor things this phone is second to none! I see why the Crackberry Forums call it the "Jesus phone"
  12. #12  
    lungho's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    918 Posts
    Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiggaman2g View Post
    Apart from those minor things this phone is second to none! I see why the Crackberry Forums call it the "Jesus phone"
    Ha. Ironically enough, both Crackheads and Fandroids spend a huge amount of time trying to crucify the iPhone. I think "Jesus phone" fits nicely.
  13. #13  
    Roo Zilla's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiggaman2g View Post
    I've spent so much time on this phone so far and haven't had the slightest urge to return to the Storm at all. Definitely a happy camper!

    If anything my only two concerns with this phone is the having to use itunes to do everything (bit of a learning curve) As opposed to drag and drop which I was quite a "pro" at lol. And lastly not being able to put my own ringtones to alert me of different thing ie: have 3 diff email account and wouldn't mind a tone for each and SMS as well as Ping msgs....

    Apart from those minor things this phone is second to none! I see why the Crackberry Forums call it the "Jesus phone"
    Once you start using playlists, you'll hate using the old method.
  14. #14  
    gern blanston's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts

    Default

    Glad to have you. I'm glad that you took the time and effort to compare. I've thought about an Evo or a Droid X because I like the screen size; however, they just don't seem as responsive. Even though I love gadgets, the thought of digging into the Android to figure out all of its features drains my life force. The iPhone 4 is beautiful and elegant, and it, along with my iPad, pushed me to get a Mac Mini. If the next iPhone comes out with a 4.3" retina display, I'll pay the full no-contract price.
    Last edited by gern blanston; 09-02-2010 at 11:10 AM.
  15. #15  
    jcdaniels's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default

    I came from an Android phone that I had for 7 months, before had 2 Blackberries the previous years..... Wouldn't go back for anything in the world. As a long time Mac user, it took me a while before I jumped to the mobile platform but glad I waited for the iP4 (retina,multitask,etc...)

    Glad to hear you are as happy as I was!
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    jiggaman2g's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Once you start using playlists, you'll hate using the old method.
    As funny as this may sound I'm having the hardest time working with itunes and creating playlists and transferring my vids that I had on the BB. I'm reading up and learning as I go but somethings just won't sync for me. lol
  17. #17  
    acedcool's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default

    Great story.. thanks for sharing this to us.. I will hold this and also share to my other friends.. thanks..
    Check out this cool Glowing cases for iPhone 4...
    http://www.mobileriotgear.com/iGlowPhone-s/146.htm
  18. #18  
    gern blanston's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiggaman2g View Post
    As funny as this may sound I'm having the hardest time working with itunes and creating playlists and transferring my vids that I had on the BB. I'm reading up and learning as I go but somethings just won't sync for me. lol
    I've had an iPhone since the 3G, and I still have trouble understanding iTunes syncing. I've read quite a bit about the iPhone and iTunes, and I'm often surprised at what is or isn't on my iPhone and on my computer after a sync. I'm just a caveman.

    I just bought a Mac Mini, and I really want to sync with both my PC laptop and my Mac Mini, but it doesn't appear to be possible without jailbreaking or editing some itunes files.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    jiggaman2g's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

    Default

    well then........lol I don't feel so bad
  20. #20  
    noaim's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,474 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    I transfered from blackberry as well and I couldnt be happier this phone just does so much more then a blackberry
    I answer questions to the best of my knowledge if im wrong please correct me
  21. #21  
    Roo Zilla's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiggaman2g View Post
    As funny as this may sound I'm having the hardest time working with itunes and creating playlists and transferring my vids that I had on the BB. I'm reading up and learning as I go but somethings just won't sync for me. lol
    I don't use playlists for videos, just music. What I suggest is this, stick all your videos in one folder. I have a folder full of transcoded videos. Then in the file menu, select "Add folder to library" and point to that folder. Once you select the folder, iTunes will stick all the videos in it's library. Now you can go to the "Movies" tab when you have your iPhone plugged in. From there, select the videos you want to sync to your iPhone. Once you have it set up, it's VERY easy to move videos back and forth. Just check the boxes on the ones you want and unchecked the ones you don't want.

    For transcoding videos to .mp4 format and the correct resolution, I recommend Mediacoder. Do a google search and you'll find it. Get the iPhone version. It's very easy to use and does an excellent job.

    For music I do similar. I stick all my music in one folder with subfolders of artists and sub-subfolders of albums. Then I add the main music folder to the library. Once that's done, I create playlists, then drag and drop songs into them. Because my library won't fit on the iPhone, I manually select the playlists I want synced. Again, once you have some playlists set up, it very easy to move stuff in and out of the iPhone.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.
  22. #22  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    And yes, not only is the grass greener, but this really is one of the friendliest communities on the net.
    Wait until he gets a load of me.

    Now let's get one thing straight. There are very militant Apple fans as well on this site. But as Alli said, in general, it's a good group. One rule, do your homework on this site before asking questions on a topic that may already have an answer.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    jiggaman2g's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    I don't use playlists for videos, just music. What I suggest is this, stick all your videos in one folder. I have a folder full of transcoded videos. Then in the file menu, select "Add folder to library" and point to that folder. Once you select the folder, iTunes will stick all the videos in it's library. Now you can go to the "Movies" tab when you have your iPhone plugged in. From there, select the videos you want to sync to your iPhone. Once you have it set up, it's VERY easy to move videos back and forth. Just check the boxes on the ones you want and unchecked the ones you don't want.

    For transcoding videos to .mp4 format and the correct resolution, I recommend Mediacoder. Do a google search and you'll find it. Get the iPhone version. It's very easy to use and does an excellent job.

    For music I do similar. I stick all my music in one folder with subfolders of artists and sub-subfolders of albums. Then I add the main music folder to the library. Once that's done, I create playlists, then drag and drop songs into them. Because my library won't fit on the iPhone, I manually select the playlists I want synced. Again, once you have some playlists set up, it very easy to move stuff in and out of the iPhone.
    Thanks a million for the information. I did it and it works like a charm!!!!
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    jiggaman2g's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    Wait until he gets a load of me.

    Now let's get one thing straight. There are very militant Apple fans as well on this site. But as Alli said, in general, it's a good group. One rule, do your homework on this site before asking questions on a topic that may already have an answer.
    Trust me, that won't be an issue for me here, remember I'm coming from the Blackberry forums and they will roast you for doing that type of thing there I and the search button are not strangers in the least.
  25. #25  
    asr10 user's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

    Default

    I am exactly the same way. I had a BB for the last 5-6 years and always had the best BB. But too bad they are stuck and seem about 2 generations behind everyone else. I am still amazed at the things I can do with the iPhone 4.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B