My little conversion story

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
As funny as this may sound I'm having the hardest time working with itunes and creating playlists and transferring my vids that I had on the BB. I'm reading up and learning as I go but somethings just won't sync for me. lol

I don't use playlists for videos, just music. What I suggest is this, stick all your videos in one folder. I have a folder full of transcoded videos. Then in the file menu, select "Add folder to library" and point to that folder. Once you select the folder, iTunes will stick all the videos in it's library. Now you can go to the "Movies" tab when you have your iPhone plugged in. From there, select the videos you want to sync to your iPhone. Once you have it set up, it's VERY easy to move videos back and forth. Just check the boxes on the ones you want and unchecked the ones you don't want.

For transcoding videos to .mp4 format and the correct resolution, I recommend Mediacoder. Do a google search and you'll find it. Get the iPhone version. It's very easy to use and does an excellent job.

For music I do similar. I stick all my music in one folder with subfolders of artists and sub-subfolders of albums. Then I add the main music folder to the library. Once that's done, I create playlists, then drag and drop songs into them. Because my library won't fit on the iPhone, I manually select the playlists I want synced. Again, once you have some playlists set up, it very easy to move stuff in and out of the iPhone.

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
And yes, not only is the grass greener, but this really is one of the friendliest communities on the net.

Wait until he gets a load of me.

Now let's get one thing straight. There are very militant Apple fans as well on this site. But as Alli said, in general, it's a good group. One rule, do your homework on this site before asking questions on a topic that may already have an answer.

jiggaman2g

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't use playlists for videos, just music. What I suggest is this, stick all your videos in one folder. I have a folder full of transcoded videos. Then in the file menu, select "Add folder to library" and point to that folder. Once you select the folder, iTunes will stick all the videos in it's library. Now you can go to the "Movies" tab when you have your iPhone plugged in. From there, select the videos you want to sync to your iPhone. Once you have it set up, it's VERY easy to move videos back and forth. Just check the boxes on the ones you want and unchecked the ones you don't want.

For transcoding videos to .mp4 format and the correct resolution, I recommend Mediacoder. Do a google search and you'll find it. Get the iPhone version. It's very easy to use and does an excellent job.

For music I do similar. I stick all my music in one folder with subfolders of artists and sub-subfolders of albums. Then I add the main music folder to the library. Once that's done, I create playlists, then drag and drop songs into them. Because my library won't fit on the iPhone, I manually select the playlists I want synced. Again, once you have some playlists set up, it very easy to move stuff in and out of the iPhone.

Thanks a million for the information. I did it and it works like a charm!!!!

jiggaman2g

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Wait until he gets a load of me.

Now let's get one thing straight. There are very militant Apple fans as well on this site. But as Alli said, in general, it's a good group. One rule, do your homework on this site before asking questions on a topic that may already have an answer.

Trust me, that won't be an issue for me here, remember I'm coming from the Blackberry forums and they will roast you for doing that type of thing there :p I and the search button are not strangers in the least.

asr10 user

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I am exactly the same way. I had a BB for the last 5-6 years and always had the best BB. But too bad they are stuck and seem about 2 generations behind everyone else. I am still amazed at the things I can do with the iPhone 4.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Welcome aboard the iPhone 4 Boat, jiggaman2g. I hope the ride will be to your liking. As you well know, if the waters get rough you can always disembark whenever and wherever you want. Keep in mind that the iPhone may suit your needs now but this may change in the future as things always do. Remember to keep an open mind to this change and always consider other smartphones for your business and personal needs without letting a sense of misplaced loyalty rule your emotions. I love my iPhone 4 but I know if things occur in the future to where Apple begins to slack and the competition surpasses them, I will be looking elsewhere to suit my mobile device needs. I'm only loyal to great service, craftsmanship, smooth interface, user experience and ergonomics that tie in well with my mobile lifestyle habits and needs. Fanboyism be damned.

soarin

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Also a convert...

So yes, I have followed TiPb for several months now, especially since I won an iPad while at a conference in Houston. I have to say, once I played with the iPad i was convinced that I should switch from Blackberry to iPhone... so I went out, and as luck would have it my local Telus dealer happened to receive two iPhone 4s that morning!!! (they don't do waiting lists at this dealer) So I dropped by and picked up an iPhone 4!!! I could not be happier... like the original post author, it makes the Blackberry I had look like about as advanced as my original Motorolla StarTac flip phone ** laugh **

Suffice it to say, for any die hard Crackberry addicts out there, I have to say once you go iPhone, you will forget your Crackberry ever existed... within MINUTES ** giggle **

jiggaman2g

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I continue to be impressed...I beat the crap out of this phone today and it's so good to have a battery that can keep up with a vigorous day!!! YAY!!

OK I'm done boasting about this thing.......for this hour at least :D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Id never go back to a BB...after having owned 10-15 of them in my life over the years where iphones were not an option. I will, however, say that the new torch looks like a promising development for them...perhaps a window into their future where their business mind is evolving into the real world...

Nice story btw...

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Id never go back to a BB...after having owned 10-15 of them in my life over the years where iphones were not an option. I will, however, say that the new torch looks like a promising development for them...perhaps a window into their future where their business mind is evolving into the real world...

Nice story btw...

Funny thing about the new Torch is that ATT had a big hand in the design of it. They worked hand in hand with RIM to design it.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site

Nice story btw...

A friend of mine has a Torch so I played around with it for a couple of hours. It's not bad. If they got rid of the keyboard it would be better. My biggest issue with it is that it's sooooooooo slow compared to iPhone 4. It feels the way my iPhone 3G felt. There are however one feature I would like to see iPhone copy, the social feeds. I hope Apple does something like that, but better cuz its Apple.

servanthands

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Nice story. I have had 3 blackberries. I would talk down about the iphone to anybody i could. When the iPhone 4 came out it was the first one that really interested me. I loved the look of it and some of the features that finally came out with iOS 4 also finally dealt with some of the issues I had with it. About a month ago we switched to att because we moved to an area tmobile didn't cover. I had two phones I was considering the samsung galaxy or the iPhone. I wanted something different than blackberry just because I like to try new things. I went with the iPhone for one main reason which is I have a mac. I love this phone it is incredible what phones can do these days. Ok I'll stop talking now. Thanks for the story.

jiggaman2g

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Nice story. I have had 3 blackberries. I would talk down about the iphone to anybody i could. When the iPhone 4 came out it was the first one that really interested me. I loved the look of it and some of the features that finally came out with iOS 4 also finally dealt with some of the issues I had with it. About a month ago we switched to att because we moved to an area tmobile didn't cover. I had two phones I was considering the samsung galaxy or the iPhone. I wanted something different than blackberry just because I like to try new things. I went with the iPhone for one main reason which is I have a mac. I love this phone it is incredible what phones can do these days. Ok I'll stop talking now. Thanks for the story.

LOL Isn't it easy to go on and on? I was is the apple store yesterday looking at some mac laptops...;) This Toshiba is looking very dated to me lol.

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of similar "conversion" stories. I read the OP's post with the eerie feeling I was reliving my very own and recent "conversion", right down to his wife commenting on those damm "clicking noises". :eek:

I may not have been as entrenched into the BlackBerry camp as many others, having only owned the original Bold (whose keyboard I miss - but not so much to tempt me back) for two years, but the jump to the greener side did feel rather momentous. :cool:

Not only do I find my new iPhone infinitely useful, I can now surf and type to my heart's content without annoying my darling wife. :D

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
And for what it's worth, these forums do seem to be much more relaxed than over at CB. No disrespect to Kevin and the fine work he's done over at CrackBerry, but the forums were getting positively impossible to browse without running into a flame war or finding some poor shmuck being rudely told to "search" in answer to an innocent enough question.

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have noticed that, this is an awesome forum because of that! Also, the BB does have it's strengths, ok, maybe one, some people really prefer the physical keyboard, personally, I don't, and that's why I love my iPhone 4, and the screen, wow. Just plain gorgeous! I mean, BB can't even touch it! Haha, and I bet your son likes your phone, it's a crowd pleaser, you may even want to consider getting him the iPod Touch 4th generation, he would love it!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2