Hardware updates for the next iPhone

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I know it's pretty far off but what would you like to see added, hardware wise, in the next generation of the iPhone?

bhambrian

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Next gen

Next iPhone needs to make me coffee each morning, teleport me anywhere within cell range, check my kid's homework every night and automatically ignore and purge all calls/texts/IMs/emails/facebook posts/surprise visits from my sister-in-law.

Oh, and better battery life would be nice too.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
- Multi-core processor
- 1gb of ram
- Full 1080p HD recording
- Higher-res front facing camera (even though the current one does a fairly good job).
- Louder speakers (speakerphone)
- 3.7 inch screen
- Battery life is fine for me, but a higher capacity one wouldn't hurt.
- 64gb option
- More color options (even though I would still most likely stay with the generic black or white)
- And of course, fix the antenna issues.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
- Larger screen....I mean why not right?
- Lets try a nice new OLED screen too.
- more RAM
- larger battery
- tactile feedback when typing ( they already filed a patent for it )
- OLED screen allows for a "blinking" part of the screen to notify you if you missed a call or text

All I can think of for now.

travist6983

May 7, 2009
Visit site
i agree with most of the stuff from above except the bigger screen i like the size just the way it is... have you ever had an EVO in your hand or even in your pocket its tooo big...

But i do want:

-Dual Core
-1gb of RAM
-64gb model
-OLED
-And better battery though mine rarely dies during the course of a day and night

MOST IMPORTANTLY I WANT A VERSION OF BITESMS OR QUICKREPLY ADDED... i know this is not hardware but that is the only reason for me to JB and if apple would just add it there would be no need

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
-Dual core processor
-3.7" Screen, keep LCD because I want to be able to see my iPhone outside.
-Better front camera
-Stereo speakers
-Hardware camera button, maybe even allow it to be used for games as a shoulder button.
-Different case design, I like this one but the whole thing seems very fragile. Witnessed a 3 day old iP4 meet it's end from a 3 foot fall just last week, unacceptable; the back should not be glass.

More RAM, storage, and faster processor are all givens really.

Last edited:

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
More ram dual core slightly bigger screen with higher resolution. And of course lte if it does not have lte I'll hold off on upgrading.

petaf

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Wish list for iphone 4/next iphone

No oled, maybe super oled. Cannot see in daylight.
Some kind of notification system, pleez!!
In agreement w/slightly bigger (wider) screen.
Option for different colored folders. Black is so meh! Maybe transparent?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm not certain other than a different design that there's anything i really want other than the usual spec jumps.

It's all software wants mostly. Which should concern Apple as i keep looking at other platforms like android and 3.0 and HP's next webOS device. They're just a few big name apps away along with their own high res screens.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm with @sting7k. I'd like stereo speakers and a hardware camera button as well. With the new design, it would be a cinch to add a camera button. Kind of un-iPhone to have another button though. Think everybody pretty much covered the RAM, processor, storage, etc.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Multiple-core processors and 1GB of RAM? are you guys actually serious? Just because you've heard these things might happen some time soon doesn't mean they are necessary.

Here's what I expect:
- possibly a larger screen, maybe 3.8" but in the same body size. Simply less bezel. I actually feel like the screen is really large though, the new body and the insanely high resolution makes the screen feel bigger than it is.
- 64GB storage.
- LTE. duh.
- new look. They won't keep this even if they can fix the antenna, simply because of the stigma.
- maybe more colours, but it's unlikely.
- marginal processor improvement but probably the same RAM.
- one new unexpected feature that hasn't really been done before.
- marginal battery improvement as per every generation, but not another 40% increase like this year. Battery life might kist be equivalent because of the LTE radio, though.

Here's what I think definitely won't happen:
- Dual Core. It's pointless dudes. Maybe the iPad needs it, it can be sluggish and the apps are much more complex, but iPhone definitely doesn't need it.
-1GB RAM... that's not happening any time soon. It's completely unneeded and would only waste battery life. Again, something the iPad might use well, but not the iPhone.
- indicator light. Not happening, though it would be convenient!

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No oled, maybe super oled. Cannot see in daylight.
Some kind of notification system, pleez!!
In agreement w/slightly bigger (wider) screen.
Option for different colored folders. Black is so meh! Maybe transparent?

Everything you mention is software except the screen... the notification system, colored/transparent folders, etc can all be done with a software upgrade...

Which means that we could (but won't) see these in a future release of iOS 4.x.

Last edited:
May 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd like 5ghz wireless N.
Slightly larger screen without increasing size of the phone.
LED indicator light.
Something equivalent to BBM, right in the OS, so you can see when a message has been delivered, and read.
Send print jobs and files over wifi - that is, give it more power to do what a full fledged pc can do.
I'd love to BCC a copy of my emails to an email adress of my choice.

There's more but that's all I could come up with for now.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
For the most part, they did a great job but because you always need to continuously improve...

Dual (louder) speakers
Notification LED
4" screen (sweet spot of screen size IMHO)
Verizon
Back button
Flash 10.1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711