Appstore Badge Not Updating Properly

electro_cute

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi there :p

I bought an iPhone 4 about a month ago and so far I'm loving it but I have a quick question for you guys. I noticed that the Appstore badge does not pop up to let me know there are new app updates UNLESS I happen to open the Appstore myself.

Shouldn't the badge update automatically regardless of me opening the Appstore?

Can someone please clarify this for me and/or let me know if there is a setting to enable automatic badge updates?

Thanks a lot!

kmiahali

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The updates only show up on the badge, only if you open the app. I know it is very annoying but that's just the way it is. The App Store app doesn't use the internet (WiFi, 3G, EDGE) unless you open the app, so everything has to load up, even the updates for the apps already on your device. It's kind of like when you do Software Updates on your Mac (if you have one), you have to click it, wait for it to load and then the updates pop up. I hope this helps! :)

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
it does routinely check without opening the app... however, im not certain at what frequency... my iPad is kept idle for sometimes more than a week at a time... the App Store badge does Update and show a few to be updated, however that number is less than the actual number once i open the actual app.

kmiahali

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
For me, it often does that with Mail. the correct number of emails do not show up on the badge. It gets frustrating but it's just something that Apple hasn't addressed yet, I guess. The app stre does the same for me too, but I just thought it was the internet issue. I don't know the issue behind it but I don't go to the updates tab that often anyway. Before iOS4 came out, most of my apps were never updated, and now any apps that do get updated for iOS4, I just download them on my Mac.

electro_cute

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the info guys! I thought there was something wrong with my settings. Glad to see it's not just me and that everyone else deals with the same issue.

Hope Apple addresses this at some point. It'd be nice for the Appstore badge to update without having to open the application.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2