Deleting emails

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have searched around for a bit and think the answer is: No. My question is: is it possible to delete all email without having to select each one. I have just come over from a blackberry and that is the one feature I miss. I get about 50 emails a day and it is a major pain to go back at the end of the day and select each one for deletion. I couldn't imagine what it would be like after a week vacation.

I searched and searched, but I do not believe there is a app that will do this and it does not appear to be possible through the base o.s.

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
If it's in deleted items, yes you can mass delete. Other places? One by one. Silly of Apple to overlook that, but they overlook a lot.

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
I also miss having the option to tell your phone to delete mails off the server as well and not just on the phone. I wish the email was as good as Blackberry. Maybe one day.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
What server? Unless you're using POP, it should sync rather quickly. At least it does for using IMAP for gmail and exchange.

john.woody

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Under advanced settings for my email I've selected the option to delete mail when deleted from my inbox, after deleting mail I do a mail check and this removes the mail from my server,

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have searched around for a bit and think the answer is: No. My question is: is it possible to delete all email without having to select each one. I have just come over from a blackberry and that is the one feature I miss. I get about 50 emails a day and it is a major pain to go back at the end of the day and select each one for deletion. I couldn't imagine what it would be like after a week vacation.

I searched and searched, but I do not believe there is a app that will do this and it does not appear to be possible through the base o.s.

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

major pain? you're flicking and tapping your finger...

i get about 40 - 50 a day as well and somehow i manage

but i bet you'll spend about 5 minutes of worthless surfing or tinkering on your device, what's the difference?

I also miss having the option to tell your phone to delete mails off the server as well and not just on the phone. I wish the email was as good as Blackberry. Maybe one day.

oh ****, here we go

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The difference is, it should be a simple function to just delete all email you have on the phone. One click. Is that too much to ask? Yes I spend plenty of time tinkering with my phone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Don't think apple overlooked this. I believe they left this option out on purpose. The iphone screen only shows a few emails at a time, hard to see everything being deleted. Plus using the edit button you can select all you want to delete, then delete. If you really want to do this just log on to a computer and do it

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Not only that, but I'm sure Apple considers that very few people are still using pop3 mail servers, so you would never ever want to delete all your mail.

dougef2

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't think apple overlooked this. I believe they left this option out on purpose. The iphone screen only shows a few emails at a time, hard to see everything being deleted. Plus using the edit button you can select all you want to delete, then delete. If you really want to do this just log on to a computer and do it

"Log onto a computer and do it" How? On my Treo, if I deleted all the mail on the server (by retrieving it in Outlook), next time I retrieved mail on my Treo it downloaded new mail from the server and removed all of my old mail from the Treo. The iPhone just retrieves the new mail and leaves the old mail on the phone forever unless I manually delete it, One by One. This really is dumb. All they needed was a "delete all" button like they have for the Trash Folder.

I really like my iPhone overall, but their mail implementation leaves a lot to be desired. And many, if not all, Cable ISP email providers use Pop3 mail.

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
major pain? you're flicking and tapping your finger...

i get about 40 - 50 a day as well and somehow i manage

but i bet you'll spend about 5 minutes of worthless surfing or tinkering on your device, what's the difference?

oh ****, here we go

Im not starting any blackberry vs iphone arguments but im just saying it would be nice if apple listed the emails day by day and just had an option that says "delete prior" like on Blackberry. Also in your settings there should be an option that say "when deleting emails: delete on handheld or handheld AND server?" When I delete things on my iphone I log in to my email and its still there. It isnt a big deal but it helps to keep my actual mailbox clean. I use gmail. What I do like is that the iphone will pull all mail off the server to your phone. that way I can still search my inblx for old emails

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Don't know why, when you delete emails on your computer, they're not being deleted from your phone???? Sounds like a bug, glitch or wrong setting. This works for all three of my email accounts.

john.woody

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't know why, when you delete emails on your computer, they're not being deleted from your phone???? Sounds like a bug, glitch or wrong setting. This works for all three of my email accounts.

pop account. Download to phone, download to PC & delete from server. The two are not syncronized so you have to delete from phone seperately.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
doug - what kind of mail server are you using? This has a lot to do with the issue. I use Google, and I don't have to re-log into the mail app like I did with my Treo to delete the mail I'd deleted. Sounds like you're using a pop3 account.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Everyone has a choice. You can get a new email any time you want, and for free! Most companies provide IMAP or Exchange so it's not an issue.

hopper

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Not only that, but I'm sure Apple considers that very few people are still using pop3 mail servers, so you would never ever want to delete all your mail.

Hmm, I believe that Comcast is the nations's largest cable provider and they do not support IMAP..... so, quite a few of us are still stuck with POP3. That said, having come from Blackberry and a Windoze Mobile background, I'm living without some of the email management features that other platforms have. It seems that with all Apple products you make a choice to limit what you can do because it is worth having the hardware and the things it does do, it does sooooo well.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73