I've just about had it....

What should I do about the proximity sensor problem?

• Swap at Apple Store for new phone.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Wait it out for the software update.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Other [please specify]

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

marissaa310

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Forget the "death-grip".... my iPhone 4 problem is the *!?@#^ proximity sensor!! My cheek ends up hanging up on 80%+ of my calls. The rest of the time, I end up accidentally putting on speaker phone, starting FaceTime, etc... now question is....

Should I go to the Apple Store and make a swap? Or should I just keep waiting for this supposed "software fix"?!

It's driving me insane!!!

[Wait for the poll..]

ETA: I already tried to restore as new iPhone with no luck.

catadjuster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Good luck getting them to swap the phone at the apple store. I went the other day and all they said wat that it's a known software issue and Apple will have a fix in the next update. The "genius" told me that all phones have the issue and the only solution is to wait. Let me know if you do go and have any better luck. I wasn't real forceful with them this time, but if it persists I may be going back and try to be more persuasive.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
You just have to wait for the software update to see if it fixes it. If not, swap it out. Case closed. If you're really that ticked about it, just hit the home button when you make a call. Therefore you can NEVER hang up on a person. You may activate some other function, but not end the call.

greenapple

Jun 17, 2010
www.flickr.com
Good luck getting them to swap the phone at the apple store. I went the other day and all they said wat that it's a known software issue and Apple will have a fix in the next update. The "genius" told me that all phones have the issue and the only solution is to wait. Let me know if you do go and have any better luck. I wasn't real forceful with them this time, but if it persists I may be going back and try to be more persuasive.

talk to another genius! i swear there should be a thread or subforum started about the genius bar and its "geniuses"

i have had half and half in terms of good and bad experiences. just the other day i had a crappy ass one that would basically not listen to me and have a "so what do you want me to do about it attitude" followed by "there is nothing i can do"

i was angry because he was giving me lip so another genius interrupted and helped me. much more helpful as he actually listened, and then presented a solution. even if he didn't solve the problem at least he tried! and when he couldn't, he offered to swap out that part for free, and if they didn't have it on site, to order,

well i will be going back to get that part swapped out in a day or two

moral of the story? there are idiots and geniuses at the bar.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Dont plaster the phone against your face and it will work much better. Also, it will be tough to have Apple swap it for the proximity sensor. They generally are not swapping for that as a software update is coming

Tone1981

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Fight for them to swap it out, I have had my ip4 since the 1st wk and I do not have any problems with it death grip or sensor. Don't let them lie to u, not every phone has this problem and since they can't tell u when they will have a os fix y wait...

happycamping

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I am also having issues with my proximity sensor. Apple Tech support told me to restore...that didn't work...I called back. After I was told it would be "fixed" with the next software fix I persisted to ask when. Needless to say I was told that they figure end of September! The tech also suggested removing my screen protector...which I told her NO WAY! There is no way I am removing my screen cover that I know isn't causing the issue to fix something APPLE needs to fix. I am a huge Apple fan...but come on I have had my iphone 4 since day 1 at retail stores and I would prefer to get this issue fixed. So for the next month or so I will be having to pay close attention to see if I continue to put people on Hold. Very annoying! I purchased a smartphone...you think the people behind the phone would be smart enough to fix the phone!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
The proximity "fix might have been out already if apple didn't have to patch the security weakness. Glad they focused on that first!

Plus, don't let the geniuses fool you. My phone is definitely not having this issue.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site

Either it's the way you're hold it or not all iPhones are created equal. Either way they should be able to help you out. I've had mine almost two months and only had this happen once to me.

MysticMoonstone

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
i must be one of the lucky ones... i have ZERO problems with my ip4.... the proximity sensor is working great, i dont lose calls, dont face dial dont have nearly the issues everyone seems to have. Yes i can do the death grip but i've always "cased" my phones so that's not an issue anymore.

i'm so sorry to hear so many have issues.... maybe asking to swap phones will work but they will give you a refurb :-(

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
I have had limited problems with hanging up people due to the proximaty sensor. Instead I tend to call other people in the third party sense. I guess it depends all on how your face its the screen varies in the outcome. lol.

killthelights32

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
i must be one of the lucky ones... i have ZERO problems with my ip4.... the proximity sensor is working great, i dont lose calls, dont face dial dont have nearly the issues everyone seems to have. Yes i can do the death grip but i've always "cased" my phones so that's not an issue anymore.

i'm so sorry to hear so many have issues.... maybe asking to swap phones will work but they will give you a refurb :-(

You and me both. Mine seems to be immune to all these issues. Hope it stays that way. *crosses fingers*

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Push the home button when on a call.

great idea, I might try this one. I took mine to the Apple Genius bar because of the proximity sensor. They told me there was nothing they could do for me since they were unable to mimic to issue (mute me, hang up, call other people, put them on speaker phone!). It hasn't been that bad for me, but I've trained myself how to hold it and not put it to my shoulder when talking :(