Availability frustration: What gives?

mac from the start

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying buy buy an iPhone for weeks now and am getting tired of calling the local stores and being told "we don't have any" and "we don't know when they are coming in" every time I call. I was just told by one saleswoman that "even if" she knew when they were coming in they were "prohibited by law" from divulging the information.
This is a terrible way to sell a product and foster customer loyalty. They obviously know where these phones are in the system. (I can track an order I place with Amazon.com from warehouse to my front porch and S Jobs Inc. is more sophisticated than that.)
This is making me want to just forget about the iPhone and go out and buy a Droid or some other smartphone.
If they tell me they have a shipment coming in tomorrow (or next week) I'd be happy. But when they say they have no idea when they are getting in a new batch it makes me think that they are either a)incompetent or b)deceptive.
Calling the store every day to be given the same rote answer of Apple ignorance is not fostering a sense of Apple loyalty in this long-time Mac enthusiast.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You have a few options:
- Order from a local Apple Store ( and wait )
- Order from a local carrier store ( and wait )
- Order from Apple.com ( and wait )

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I ordered my wifes from Att and it took 9 days to arrive. Just got it the other day. If your not willing to order it, then dont complain.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I've been trying buy buy an iPhone for weeks now and am getting tired of calling the local stores and being told "we don't have any" and "we don't know when they are coming in" every time I call. I was just told by one saleswoman that "even if" she knew when they were coming in they were "prohibited by law" from divulging the information.
This is a terrible way to sell a product and foster customer loyalty. They obviously know where these phones are in the system. (I can track an order I place with Amazon.com from warehouse to my front porch and S Jobs Inc. is more sophisticated than that.)
This is making me want to just forget about the iPhone and go out and buy a Droid or some other smartphone.
If they tell me they have a shipment coming in tomorrow (or next week) I'd be happy. But when they say they have no idea when they are getting in a new batch it makes me think that they are either a)incompetent or b)deceptive.
Calling the store every day to be given the same rote answer of Apple ignorance is not fostering a sense of Apple loyalty in this long-time Mac enthusiast.

Tracking a product from Amazon's warehouse to your door is a little different than tracking a pallet of iPhone's coming from China to a distribution center and then out to thousands of stores across the country. Especially when sales people on the floor don't control inventory, they just put in the orders that they need more and then someone at a distribution center puts in computer that Store X needs more iPhones and they get moved when they get there, a system the sales people likely have no access too.

Why don't you just order one and then they will call you when it arrives and you can go pick it up. Have you tried Best Buy, Walmart, or Radio Shack? If you order from Apple.com you could probably track your single iPhone from China to your door and be happy.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Basically OP, you're unwilling to order online, so you're SOL. Guess thats what happens when you want the same phone millions of other people want....

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
The lady at the Apple store said it was prohibited by law to give info on when they may get more stock? What is she on?

Last edited:

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I just walked out of an Apple store on Long Island with iPhone 4 in hand. iPhone 4 32 GB Black. Not only one but 2. one for me one for wife. paid $199.99 each. SAME "Special" price A T & T was going to give them to me and I did NOT have to LOOSE my " UNLIMITED" Data plans as A T & T was going to with NEW 2 year contract. You see, I'm on the OLD Contract of "Unlimited" data.That's why they "offered" me a "promotional" price package... LOL

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
OP - there are a ton of people selling iP4s on ebay and craigslist... maybe try that approach

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I just walked out of an Apple store on Long Island with iPhone 4 in hand. iPhone 4 32 GB Black. Not only one but 2. one for me one for wife. paid $199.99 each. SAME "Special" price A T & T was going to give them to me and I did NOT have to LOOSE my " UNLIMITED" Data plans as A T & T was going to with NEW 2 year contract. You see, I'm on the OLD Contract of "Unlimited" data.That's why they "offered" me a "promotional" price package... LOL

But it seems someone got a better deal.

greenapple

Jun 17, 2010
www.flickr.com
i just walked into an apple store last week and they had them available, no reservations needed and no line :) i couldn't wait for the white anymore..since my 3g broke :(

i think it depends on where you go, the store i went to was in a residential type of area, not downtown where there are a zillion people no matter what hour.

also, if you go in and ask to reserve it, you'd get it sooner then ordering it and waiting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro