iPhone 2g how to activate with no sim

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I have an iphone 2g that was given to me for my daughter from my girlfriends brother. Her dad was using it now he has a 3g so we took the sim out and she was using it with no sim like a touch. She let the phone die now it wants to be plugged into itunes. How can I use it like a touch just for apps. I looked through the search and all that came up was for if i was going to use on tmoble of if i had a sim to use it on att, i have my old sim out of my 3gs i could put in but then it wants to start a plan. I just want to use it for apps not as a phone ow can i do this?

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
you see that one will not help me. he used a 3g i have a 2g and its sos emergency call screen when i plug it in itunes it wants to set up a new phone under my girlfriends dads number. I was going to put it in dfu and make it restore as a new phone but i dont want that to mess up any of our plans. I have been looking for a way to hactivate it but the ispw is not in the folder and blackrain is not working, I know there have to be some people out there with a 2g that want to use it like an ipod.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Remove the SIM card and restore it with iTunes. Just do what iTunes tells you to do, it won't mess up any plans. It will go all the way to activation and then say it can't. When you disconnect from iTunes it should allow you to use it like an iPod Touch and just say "No SIM" where the signal strength would normally be shown.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Worse case scenario, you can "Hack-tivate" by jailbreaking with Redsn0w. I'm on T-Mobile, so I used Redsn0w to get the phone up and running after an iTunes restore.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried to hactivate but i must have been doing something wrong but im gonna try to restore with no sim to see what it does. Thank ill let you know how it goes. Its a 2g if anyone forgot.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
After i download the firmware and redsnow and unzip it i run redsnow but it will not see the ipsw, what gives im on a pc is there something else i need to do. oh and restoring without the sim did nothing for me it still want to activate.

Seems like somethings wrong on vista so I got the files off my windows 7 comp.lets see how it goes

Last edited:

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
well this is strange after following the steps on redmond pie the redsn0w says finished but the iphone 2g just goes right back to the "plug into itunes" screen any ideas

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok I got it to work. I was thinking if the cable had something to do with it. Im using a six foot extention. So I got off that, and plugged in direct to my windows 7 comp used redsn0w did not check "already pwned" had the bootloaders ready with the old sim in the iphone 2g. Bamm! I think my problems were windows vista on one comp wouldnt show the files right, and the long cable. The phone wouldnt charge and windows couldnt recognize the iphone. Thanks for the help Guys

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711