How to integrate PDF reader into iOS?

juanantoniod

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new at iPhone, so I am still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the device. One area in particular is readers, particularly for PDF text booklets from my college.

I tried GoodReader, and did not like the way it scrolled (or didn't). Also, its re-flow function left a lot of the critical headings out of context. I tried Stanza, and I really loved that it would make a dark background with my color of text and links. However, it also makes color photos in this view as negative images. It also seems to not know how to scroll easily.

Per the advice of a kind poster, I tried Aji. I love this little app, but it has me stumped. It does almost everything I want. It "scroll locks", so that as I scroll down in my document, it maintains the lock on the one column (page) of text, which I have magnified as much as will fit in a horizontal screen. The only drawbacks are 1) that it does not do the cool color on black "night" effect; and

2) It does not seem to "integrate" into iOS like Stanza, Goodreader, and iRead did. What I am talking about is that I use the MobileMe service, so I have iDisk set up on iPhone. Therefore, I can go into my iDisk and open a PDF file, and it appears in the iPhone default (native?) PDF viewer. Then, there s a little square with a curved arrow at the bottom, and pressing on this will allow me to send the PDF to Stanza, Goodreader, or iRead, but *NOT* Aji.

I figure this could be due to a couple of factors. One, iPhone only allows you to have 3 alternate PDF viewers to "send" the document into, but this does not seem likely since iPhone is so capable of doing everything else. Or, two, the Aji app does not integrate with iOS like the other "reader/viewers" do.

QUESTION: Is there a way to make Aji reader an optional "send to" service from within the iPhone PDF viewer, such that when I open a PDF from iDisk and it automatically appears in the native viewer, when I press on the little box with the curved arrow, it will allow me to send the PDF to Aji?

I know that I am very persnickety, always ask for the world, and that this is *probably* not possible. But on the off-chance that it is, can someone *please* tell me how to configure it?

Thanks for any input or assistance!

~Antonio

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Why not download iBooks? Ii just went to I disk and clicked on a PDF and it give you the option to open in iBook. It's free. It will scroll even when zoomed in. Plus it's an apple product so should work much better with mobilme.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
You're definitely being "persnickety" but I can appreciate that because I am, too, except I like to use the term "anal" when applied to myself because I give a s@#t too much! ;)

This integration is something that must be coded into the app by the developer of Aji Reader to which you can just send them an email and copy some of your post above. I'm sure they would respond to you and let you know the challenges, if any, that it presents and if they are actually willing to do this.

Last edited:

juanantoniod

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Why not download iBooks? Ii just went to I disk and clicked on a PDF and it give you the option to open in iBook. It's free. It will scroll even when zoomed in. Plus it's an apple product so should work much better with mobilme.

Thanks for the input. But I could not get it to scroll continuously from page to page without interuption by page breaks.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Oic. Did not try that. To my knowledge "watcher" is correct. It is a coding issue with the developer. If you have your heart set aji then email them. They should be able answer you question or off a workaround.