No SIM card installed

bbaggins

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My new Iphone4 insists that there is no SIM card installed! Did a restore and it works again but lost the applications that I bought. Have looked for others who have had this problem but have not found much.:(

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
lesson learned. if you download apps on your phone make sure to sync the phone to your computer just in case something happens. if it does it again or hell even if not go to Apple and tell them to give you a new one.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
^^^^ He's correct. However there is no guarantee all the apps will be online. Perhaps a developer pulled their program for whatever reason. Just an FYI.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
My new Iphone4 insists that there is no SIM card installed! Did a restore and it works again but lost the applications that I bought. Have looked for others who have had this problem but have not found much.:(
I had it happen to mine way too often. So much so that I had to send my iPhone 4 back to Apple for a replacement! Trust me, if yours gave you the error once, it will most likely give it to you again! The problem is the holder is made in such a way where it doesn't provide sufficient stability to where the SIM card is kept undisturbed against the metal contacts within the iPhone. Prior to this message, I reseated my SIM card due to posts on the internet recommending that this would resolve some reception issues. After I did that, the "No SIM card installed" error would appear randomly at first but more frequently before I decided to exchange it. On a really good note, I use to have pictures that came out yellowish when I turned on flash in a fairly darkened room but now with this replacement, it's perfect.

I did find a way to successfully remedy this situation with a jerryrig fix for those who don't want to chance getting a replacement iPhone 4 with other problems. What you have to do is turn the SIM card holder upside down and locate the notch on the inside part that falls in line with the cut out area at the bottom of the SIM card spot on the phone (when the SIM card holder is removed, you can see what I'm talking about perfectly). Place a few thin strips of double-sided tape on the notch area of the SIM card holder as this will stabilize the holder so it won't occillate or move within the phone causing the metal contacts to lose their connection. Before I sent my replacement in, the SIM card error was happening 5 minutes after I put the SIM card back in the phone. After I tried this fix, it never happened again for about 2 days until I received my new iPhone 4. The reason I didn't keep it is I don't feel I should have to "jerryrig" a fine product such as this just to get it to work. I'm sure many of you will feel the same way.

Last edited:

bbaggins

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm sure that I had sync'ed more than once prior to the dreaded no SIM message.

It comforts me to know that I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I'll ask for a replacement if it happens again.

CristianTM

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I did find a way to successfully remedy this situation with a jerryrig fix for those who don't want to chance getting a replacement iPhone 4 with other problems. What you have to do is turn the SIM card holder upside down and locate the notch on the inside part that falls in line with the cut out area at the bottom of the SIM card spot on the phone (when the SIM card holder is removed, you can see what I'm talking about perfectly). Place a few thin strips of double-sided tape on the notch area of the SIM card holder as this will stabilize the holder so it won't occillate or move within the phone causing the metal contacts to lose their connection. Before I sent my replacement in, the SIM card error was happening 5 minutes after I put the SIM card back in the phone. After I tried this fix, it never happened again for about 2 days until I received my new iPhone 4. The reason I didn't keep it is I don't feel I should have to "jerryrig" a fine product such as this just to get it to work. I'm sure many of you will feel the same way.

Anyone tried this and it worked fine, with no more errors?

It will be hard to me to return my iphone because i bought it on UK and I'm on Brazil, were there are not official istores and iphones are sold (and maintenance is provided) by the mobile operators only (I can bet they will not deal with an iphone that was not bought from them). So I guess i really NEED another solution :(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2