How to make my iPhone better what do I need to do this?

Jonmartin

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Well its a great phone but I came from a Blackberry Bold 9700 and that was the best phone I've ever had for alot of reasons. But since the iPhone came out with all this hype I bought one. So far I'm pleased for the most part but. There are a few very simple things I wish my iPhone did that it doesn't do.

1. Bedside mode:
I used to use this all the time with my Berry. I would put it in the dock charger at night while I slept and I could see the clock on the display all night on the screen that was very dim just the right brightness to not disturb me while I slept but also clearly visible. I want this feature on my iPhone how do I do this?

2. Profiles:
I used this feature constantly as I don't want to hear loud ass alerts at 3am when e-mails come in but I want to hear them nice and loud when appropriate I used to configure separate profiles for different environments and now I can't do this I just have a simple switch for vibrate or ring and that was cool on my first Motorola pager and all but this is 2010 why can't the almighty iPhone do this?

3. Individual rings:
I used to have individual rings for different categories of people family,friends,clients. So if my phone was ringing I could decide if I wanted to answer without looking at the phone while I'm doing something else like working or exercising whatever how can I do this?

4. Auto turn on and off:
I also used to put my phone on a schedule to switch off the radio so I wouldn't get calls or text in the middle of the night during certain hours that varied by day. I want to be able to set it for example to turn off at 1am and turn on at 8:30am m-f and then weekends turn off at 2am and turn on at 10am.

5. Push Gmail:
I have MobileMe but It doesn't make my Gmail push I want real push G-mail on my iPhone just like my Blackberry.

How can I do all of the above on my almighty iPhone that everyone is so in love with. These are just a few example of the basic simple things I want my iPhone to do that would make me happy. Please help.

Corrina

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Everything you seek can be found. However, you will need to jailbreak in order to accomplish all of your goals.

1.) Set your phone to never auto-lock and download the app Night Stand from the App Store.

2.) There is an app (requires jailbreak), available in Cydia, called MyProfiles which does what you need it to do, I believe.

3.) Go into your Contacts, select "Edit" and scroll down to "ringtone", where you can then choose a ringtone for that individual contact. Repeat for each contact that you'd like to have their own tone.

4.) There's an app called Auto Shutdown, available in Cydia, that will do that for you. It requires jailbreak, however. I don't know of one available in the App Store.

5.) GPush is available in the App Store, and will push your GMail to your iPhone.

Hope I was a little helpful. :)

Last edited:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Everything you seek can be found. However, you will need to jailbreak in order to accomplish all of your goals.

1.) Set your phone to never auto-lock and download the app Night Stand from the App Store.

2.) There is an app (requires jailbreak), available in Cydia, called MyProfiles which does what you need it to do, I believe.

3.) Go into your Contacts, select "Edit" and scroll down to "ringtone", where you can then choose a ringtone for that individual contact. Repeat for each contact that you'd like to have their own tone.

4.) There's an app called Auto Shutdown, available in Cydia, that will do that for you. It requires jailbreak, however. I don't know of one available in the App Store.

5.) GPush is available in the App Store, and will push your GMail to your iPhone.

dang you are good!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Well its a great phone but I came from a Blackberry Bold 9700 and that was the best phone I've ever had for alot of reasons. But since the iPhone came out with all this hype I bought one. So far I'm pleased for the most part but. There are a few very simple things I wish my iPhone did that it doesn't do.

1. Bedside mode:
I used to use this all the time with my Berry. I would put it in the dock charger at night while I slept and I could see the clock on the display all night on the screen that was very dim just the right brightness to not disturb me while I slept but also clearly visible. I want this feature on my iPhone how do I do this?

2. Profiles:
I used this feature constantly as I don't want to hear loud ass alerts at 3am when e-mails come in but I want to hear them nice and loud when appropriate I used to configure separate profiles for different environments and now I can't do this I just have a simple switch for vibrate or ring and that was cool on my first Motorola pager and all but this is 2010 why can't the almighty iPhone do this?

3. Individual rings:
I used to have individual rings for different categories of people family,friends,clients. So if my phone was ringing I could decide if I wanted to answer without looking at the phone while I'm doing something else like working or exercising whatever how can I do this?

4. Auto turn on and off:
I also used to put my phone on a schedule to switch off the radio so I wouldn't get calls or text in the middle of the night during certain hours that varied by day. I want to be able to set it for example to turn off at 1am and turn on at 8:30am m-f and then weekends turn off at 2am and turn on at 10am.

5. Push Gmail:
I have MobileMe but It doesn't make my Gmail push I want real push G-mail on my iPhone just like my Blackberry.

How can I do all of the above on my almighty iPhone that everyone is so in love with. These are just a few example of the basic simple things I want my iPhone to do that would make me happy. Please help.

1. There are several clock apps in the App Store that do this, you will have to start the app when you set it up.

2. No profiles on the iPhone.

3. You can set ring tones per person but not for a group as far as I know.

4. Manual mode only.

5. Google Sync, google it and follow Google's step-by-step instructions. It will setup your Gmail account via Exchange and you get free push Gmail.

The things you can't do it's highly likely you could do with by jailbreaking your iPhone.

Jonmartin

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

If you sent your Gmail up thru Microsoft Exchange on your phone, that will be push Gmail too.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Thank you both for your help.

jackgreen

Aug 3, 2010
www.wristbreakergame.com

Corrina, thanks for really useful post!

Jack

Bucketofried

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
the basic consensus is to jailbreak for most of the stuff you want which is somewhat disappointing. Truthfully some of this stuff should be built in and not require a jailbreak.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh