WTF? Is this supposed to happen?

isaac65

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I synced my iPhone 4 with 4.0.1 then I restored it as a new iPhone in order to jailbreak. I read that doing this would prevent the mms and facetime error. The problem is that after I restored as a new iPhone, my old backup is gone... :mad:
Was that supposed to happen? I was under the impression that I could restore as a new iPhone then later apply a previous backup...

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
When you right click on the phone in itunes do you have the option to restore from backup? If so it might list other backups in there.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
When you update, you back up. But when you instal a new update, you actually back up a clean install(cuz you just did that) so technically i believe you newbed it and did it all wrong, and now your backup is of a backup of a stock 4.0.1 not your 4.0 backup....

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
It's always good practice to manually back up your phone before updating or jailbreaking. I would even go so far as to "back up" your back up files on an external hard drive just in case something like this happens so you can restore it to a previous, more stable build.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
this is why i use Time Machine on my Mac. I accidentally did the same thing, but Time Machine saved my ass with a 4 hour old backup of the iPhone backup.