iPhone 2g - big gray spots - pls help..!!

lepper_messiah

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm using an iPhone 2G which has worked very well so far. However, recently, there are gray spots growing on the top of the screen and now I can't see the battery bar/percentage as well as some part of signal bar.

I feel the spot is growing bigger. On my brother's 2g, it has gotten even worse and icons at the top of his iPhone on both the sides are not visible due to the gray spot. It started small but has grown big and is slowly covering the screen.

The gray part is still sensitive to touch and phone is working normally. The only problem is that I can't see the icons beneath them and it looks ugly. The spots are not visible when the screen is off; they appear only when the screen in on.

Any idea? Any help?? Would be greatly appreciated.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
What is the 2g? Do you mean the 3G the second generation?

In any case it sounds like a hardware problem to me. If I were you I would take it in to have it looked at. The really strange thing is, that your brothers phone is doing the same thing? Makes one wonder what have y'all done to make this happen?

lepper_messiah

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
@chobbs1 - it's iPhone 2G - the first iPhone of the family!

I'll definitely get the iPhone 4 when it's available in my area but until then, I gotta continue with this one. Even then, I could give it to my mum as she needs a basic phone. But definitely not with the way it looks currently!

So guys, shall I conclude that it's a hardware problem and nothing I can do about it? Come on, there must be some way out!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Just clarifying because some call the 3G the second gen, and so forth.

Again, greying of the screen that is still responsive sounds like a hardware prob. But it is strange that your brothers phone is doing it too? Have you left the phone in the car. Are the two of you syncing from the same account???

The phones are old so it may be time to let them RIP

lepper_messiah

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Got your point.

I also think it's a hardware problem; the LCD's gone bad - dead pixels or else. I had dropped the phone too few times. Don't know if it's due to that.

But my brother's phone's all the same - even worse. But I've neither left it in the car nor we use the same account or computer for syncing.

But I'm sure other users are also experiencing the same dreaded gray spot. Let's see if others share their experiences or some solution perhaps. Else, "RIP my first iPhone. I still love you no matter what"

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Apple will still replace screens on the iPhone 2G. Of course you will have to pay for it. I inquired about it once, dust under mine. I think it was about $180 to replace the screen. Didn't think it was worth it for me over dust.

They also sill replace batteries on the 2G for a charge.

If you want the LCD replaced, hit up apple. Maybe even a genius can do it in-store. But I do know you can do it online.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2