My iPhone 4 Impressions

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all~ just thought I'd sound off with my impressions of the iPhone 4 after waiting for so long to get it...

Speed

Initially I had restored from backup and I was underwhelmed by the performance. I found that a lot of the animation frame rates were a little jittery, opening apps wasn't necessarily very fast, etc. etc.

However, after restoring it as a new phone to solve some other unrelated issues, it actually does appear to run much more stable.

Apps like Camera tend to open a lot faster, games that barely ran on 3GS like We Rule are smooth on iPhone 4, Mail on iPhone 4 receives new items minutes before the 3GS receives them, and the GPS

Multitasking on iPhone 4 OWNS multiasking on the 3GS. Seriously, it kills the 3GS, a lot, with fire.

Body / Antenna Issues

"With great power, comes great responsibility"

Very relevant to the iPhone 4's design...

The phone is beautiful. Undoubtedly the most beautiful smartphone I've ever seen. However I've already dropped it once, and from a height that wouldn't have harmed my 3GS, I managed to get a barely visible scratch on the front of the device which I can feel when using it. I'll end up returning it due to some issues I'm having with the speaker anyway, but I will always be feeling very wary of dropping the phone which I didn't worry about so much with the 3GS.

In regards to the antenna, I live in a basement apartment in a relatively good coverage area. I usually have 2 or 3 bars in my apartment and I was already dropping calls on the 3GS when I wander around my apartment.

The dropped calls have become much more frequent with the iPhone 4. I wasn't really paying attention to whether or not I was covering the deadspot, I was kinda trying not to but I can't exactly see that when I'm on the phone. I had 2 long calls to customer service at Rogers trying to do something with my account, and it dropped both times. After the second drop I was really angry, and Rogers apparently doesn't think it's a good idea to call people back when the call has obviously dropped unintentionally...

While web browsing on 3G in my apartment (which I never do, but did to test this), the dead spot was literally a pause/resume button for loading data, to the point where it was almost comical. In practical use, it's not so comical, more like infuriating, as it's really not hard to obstruct the antenna even lightly with your hand or finger.

Outside, it's a different story. The signal may drop 1 or 2 bars, but calls don't drop and data connections remain intact. Signal is actually stronger than it was before, and data connections are faster, especially upload speeds which are sometimes faster than download speeds.

On WiFi, my download speeds are actually slower than on the 3GS. Why, I can't imagine, it could possibly be my router configuration but I know it is configured for N use...

Display

The display is mind-blowing. MIND-BLOWING. Before I even activated the thing I was simply marveling at the density of the pixels, the darkness of the blacks, etc. etc. It's just fantastic.

However I must call up that same quote from above, because 320x480 apps on the iPhone 4 look like crap. No, they don't look the same as the 3GS, they look horrible. When I first heard of this new display at the same size I thought, OK great, so the apps will look the same which is fine, but when updated they will simply look better! ... WRONG. For some reason, the anti-aliasing of the 3GS's screen is much stronger, which gives the impression of smoother lines compared to showing the same image on the iPhone 4's screen.

It won't be a problem for long, but I really wish there was some extra apple magicks left to make these 3GS apps look less bad than 2x on the iPad...

Battery

More betterer. 'Nuff said.

Camera

FREAKIN SWEET. Much better stabilization, flash performs well both in photos and videos, and the front-camera is surprisingly better than I thought it would be.

My only problem is that it makes everything in my apartment look yellow. Outside in natural light it's great, but the 3GS was much more colour-accurate inside.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
So how do you plan to tolerate the bad signal at home?

I'm always on Wifi, and I was already living with bad signal anyway. I just have to use speakerphone for sensitive calls like customer service, and just be wary not to touch the deadspot... I won't be using a case until apple ships me my free one in September.. :p

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
When you say you scratched it on the front when it dropped, was it on the glass portion or the metal surround? If on the glass, isn't the glass on the 3GS just as vulnerable?

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I played (again) with an iPhone 4 at the Apple store today and am just not yet convinced to make the jump. I pulled up and looked at apps and sites side by side with my 3GS and honestly didn't see much of a difference. I keep reading about the superior resolution, crisper text et al and I just don't see it. I do like the shape of the 4 better and the way it feels in my hand. The store was was at had them in stock, but I just don't feel compelled to grab one yet. Maybe it's my real preference for white that's holding me back. But at this point, I'm just not seeing what makes the new phone a "must have" for me right now.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I played (again) with an iPhone 4 at the Apple store today and am just not yet convinced to make the jump. I pulled up and looked at apps and sites side by side with my 3GS and honestly didn't see much of a difference. I keep reading about the superior resolution, crisper text et al and I just don't see it. I do like the shape of the 4 better and the way it feels in my hand. The store was was at had them in stock, but I just don't feel compelled to grab one yet. Maybe it's my real preference for white that's holding me back. But at this point, I'm just not seeing what makes the new phone a "must have" for me right now.

I'm not bashing you but I don't see how you can't see the difference. I myself when the iP4 was first introduced didn't think much about the resolution on my 3G. When I got my iP4 on June 23rd and turned it on I was in total shock of how bad the iP4 makes the 3G look resolution wise lol.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
When you say you scratched it on the front when it dropped, was it on the glass portion or the metal surround? If on the glass, isn't the glass on the 3GS just as vulnerable?

Yes it was the glass on the front, and not really because the 3GS has the plastic back which absorbs most of the hit when it falls on its side. I've even dropped the 3GS on its face several times from pretty high distances with a bit of force, and no scratches on the screen... I think having glass on both sides really contributes to the vulnerability of the device.

lonbeehold
You know, when I played with the iPhone 4 at the rogers store while waiting for my purchase to go through, I didn't notice the resolution either. But when I got it home, even just waiting to activate it, and I actually got some alone time with it and got to see it close up and from all different angles... I was in awe.

After using it for one day, I CAN'T go back to the 3GS. It's so beautiful it really makes you look at the 3GS in a completely different way...

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. I am not sure how you couldn't see the difference between the two screens. I also have the 3GS so I held them side by side and I was embarrassed for my old phone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. I am not sure how you couldn't see the difference between the two screens. I also have the 3GS so I held them side by side and I was embarrassed for my old phone.

Yeah... Like, "omg, 3GS, your pixels are showing.. put them away, you're embarassing me!" LOL..

P.S., if anyone wants to know how to get a record deal, looks like the guy above knows how. For real. LOL

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site

Honestly, I don't get it either, lol. I hesitated about posting this opinion because frankly, it may make me look like an idiot :eek: But that was my honest opinion with a side by side, one phone in each hand experience-several times, not just today. Maybe there's special light at the Apple store that makes the 3GS look great ;)

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
I love my iPhone 4! Only had one dropped call today...that's it. Battery lasted me all day while I was at work and still had 56% left at day's end. Awesome phone! So happy. Now I have to wait to get one for my wife. Will order the 32gb next, take that one and give my wife my 16gb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro