Prevent screen from automatically turning on

robertk600

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I like getting a notification (in the form of a sound or vibration) when I receive a new text message. But I don't like that the screen turns itself on. I am new to the iPhone (just arrived after 5 years with Windows Mobile), but I am surprised that there is (apparently) no way to keep the screen from coming on automatically? I worry that the screen will turn on while the iPhone is in my case, while I'm driving for instance, and I'm not sure at what point the screen will turn itself off (I don't know what constitutes enough activity/movement in the case for the screen to think it's in use).

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Oops thought you were talking about notifications from other apps. Stand by. Go to messages and turn preview off. That should do it. .

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Chobbs1,

If someone sends you a text and your phone is locked, you will see that the screen turns on and shows who it is from and depending whether you have preview on or off, it will show the message. The screen still turns on, but if you stare at it for a few seconds, it will turn off automatically. That's what I believe the original user is talking about.

robertk600

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just know that when this happened with my previous phones, they got very hot in the case because no air flow, and the screens stayed on because I guess there was just enough activity for the screen to think something was happening. Ideally I would get a notification on the screen when the screen is on... but when the screen is off I want it to stay off (because I'm obviously not looking at it anyway when it's off, and the sound/vibration should be an adequate way of letting me know that I should turn the screen on if I'm ready to see what's up).

Thanks for the efforts so far.

robertk600

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Chobbs1,

If someone sends you a text and your phone is locked, you will see that the screen turns on and shows who it is from and depending whether you have preview on or off, it will show the message. The screen still turns on, but if you stare at it for a few seconds, it will turn off automatically. That's what I believe the original user is talking about.
Correct. But I have had several instances now where I heard an alert sound coming from my case, and when I am able to get the phone out the screen is still on... and a good bit of time has elapsed.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Chobbs1,

If someone sends you a text and your phone is locked, you will see that the screen turns on and shows who it is from and depending whether you have preview on or off, it will show the message. The screen still turns on, but if you stare at it for a few seconds, it will turn off automatically. That's what I believe the original user is talking

Thank you. You are correct. I got a little over zealous and read the OP's question too quickly! But, again, thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice