Skype on ios 4 and battery life

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the update yesterday and ran it in the background the full day to test it out. It worked great to receive im's and calls. My battery however seemed like it ran down much faster. How exactly does skype work with multitasking on the iPhone. I thought it kind of sleeps in the background and is woken up by a push message to conserve battery life. Has anyone else noticed this affecting battery life?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Skype works by staying in the background "listening" for any communications that may arrive. So yes, it's normal to drain some battery while minimally active in the background.

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hmm...I was noticing my battery seems to be draining faster too. I was trying to figure out what could be doing it, but AH HA!!! Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to force close it and see if that changes things :)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
That's one thing I wish devs could implement, if possible of course. Implement a way to totally exit out of an app that uses multitasking protocols without having to force quit in the dock.

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, hopefully Apple will add something it shouldn't be that difficult. Usually the apps should be closed if they aren't being used but Skype is supposed to be always connected, so theoretically it could be draining all the time. This is the first app I've had multitasking battery concerns with :p

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Skype basically has its on push notification connection (direct from phone to Skype servers) to listen for incoming IMs and phone calls. So it shouldn't really take a noticeable amount of battery while just idle in the background.

My phone dropped about 30% overnight doing nothing with Skype in the background. I think about 25% more than normal.

Hopefully they figure out the issue and get it worked out, for now I have signed out and don't let it run in the background.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2