Dellinger's influence - when?

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I for one hate the notification system in iOS and it's the main reason I jailbreak. I know other people have voiced their dissatisfaction with the notification system and often compare it to WebOS and Android.

I was genuinely excited when I heard Apple hired Rich Dellinger, the guy behind the WebOS notification system and I haven't even ever used WebOS - but it has to be better than what the stock iOS notification system consists of.

But now I'm left wondering when we will see Dellinger's influence. I would love to see a reworked notification system in 4.1 but I'm afraid Apple will hold off on it until they (presumably) release iOS 5 next summer. And even then I'm worried that Apple doesn't realize just how bad it is and they shelve any attempt at reworking the system.

Speculate away.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I'd say one year before changes come. More than that for much more detailed changes. I think they have other design issues to take care of.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I am hoping for some minor changes (say, a notification log) with 4.1, but I think I will be disappointed.

While I certainly understand Apples desire not to release something until it is "right", I can't really see how they didn't anticipate the notification problems by only showing the latest notification. There are many times when I don't have my phone or I can't look right away, and basically those notifications are lost!

Why not simply make the notification pop up scrollable with a swipe of the finger? Just like instant message history and log. Side swipe to delete, swipe up and down to scroll!

Chris

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Something has to be done. I was thinking about this today. This is iOS's only weak spot as compared to other mobile platforms. Why would Apple wait for Android to get more polished before dealing another blow to them. Dellinger is a big part of the equation. But if you think Apple was not already working on better notifications, you're crazy. I would hope to have something big by fall. Probably not gonna happen but here's hoping.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
But Apple history on stuff like this indicate that they never roll up updates like this until the next version of the iPhone. They have got to start getting more proactive and roll out stuff like this sooner, rather than making everyone wait and using it as an excuse for everyone to upgrade.

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
This is the only super frustrating thing about the iPhone still- needs a better notification system- the current one is just plain sh$&@!

Spoon#IM

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It only displays one and if somethingelse pops a notification(ie multiple texts come in close together or other pushed notifications) then the ones that came first are gone.

Moonbase0ne

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
It only displays one and if somethingelse pops a notification(ie multiple texts come in close together or other pushed notifications) then the ones that came first are gone.
What exactly do you mean by gone? As in, they will not be marked as new anymore?

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
More than anything,, I hate how the notification pops up on top of what you're doing. why not give a small icon notification somewhere, which would then give me the option to check the activity? Or a small scroll bar at the top or bottom of the screen?

Does anyone actually use the iPhone search screen that you get to when you swipe left from the home screen? Why not make that the notifications screen? Then, you could just add the search creen with another left swipe.

understando

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I really hope something does change relatively soon... I understand it probably won't though. I mean, why could apple not use something like intelliscreen for the lock screen? I came over from a blackberry bold and used a today plus theme which was great. If you rolled over the calendar you got all your appointments, texts when roll over texts, missed calls and so on. The functionality of a system like this for the iPhone would be amazing. (all that being said I do love my iPhone, just want the best of both worlds)

Last edited:

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
But Apple history on stuff like this indicate that they never roll up updates like this until the next version of the iPhone. They have got to start getting more proactive and roll out stuff like this sooner, rather than making everyone wait and using it as an excuse for everyone to upgrade.

I agree 100%, but per your first sentence, I seriously doubt that we'll see any changes to the system anytime soon. I REALLY hope I'm wrong though. :D

ddot196

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I think people are complaining about the lock screen only showing the latest notification. Which I don't really understand being a problem since when I get one I usually just check it when I notice it...didn't know it was a big deal.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
In my short time with Apple, I have noticed this:

Battery life was the singlemost criticism leveled at the iPhone. Again and again, on sites and sources that were pro and anti Apple.

What hapened? This weak point was addressed in iP4.

Are notifications horrible? ***** about it incessantly over the next year. Get others to join your chant. You will be sated with iP5.

:) :) :)

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I think people are complaining about the lock screen only showing the latest notification. Which I don't really understand being a problem since when I get one I usually just check it when I notice it...didn't know it was a big deal.

When you notice it is the key phrase in your statement. It becomes a problem if you get a lot of notifications. For example, you set a calendar event to remind you of an appointment, b-day, anniversary, etc... That notification pops up and you don't see it immediately. Then you get a text and/or another notification before viewing the 1st - the calendar appointment notification vanishes and you'd never see it again.

That's what people are complaining about. You may not remember that event/appointment unless you manually went into the calendar several times a day, which defeats the purpose of notifications entirely. The same principal applies to any other app w/ notifications - some (like text/sms) show the red icon indicating a new message or event - others do not - so any of those you miss are gone forever.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2