Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Default Push email and battery on iPhone 4

How many people see a drastic battery drain using push email on the iPhone 4 in comparison to using fetch? Or is it better for the battery than fetch is? Thanks in advance. I know what the battery management sticky says but I'm reading other posts and I'm seeing that a few people are getting BETTER battery life with push so i want to make sure, because I would love to use push while maintaining the same or better battery life than fetch.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

I quit using it because of battery drain.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Part of it is going to depend on how much mail you get. If you're on push and you only get a few emails, you'll get better battery life than if you're set to fetch every 15 minutes and get only 1 email.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    972 Global Posts

i guess it's a matter of experimenting to see which works best for you. I get a lot of email daily but if I can get atleast 12 hours of battery life while pushing email and browsing the web i would be happy.
    "War Is All We Know"

-PlanetCybertron.com - All things Transformers(Mostly G1)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,143 Global Posts

I have push on for one Gmail account through Exchange. I have been trying it both ways of push and fetch. I noticed with my emails that push saves me a tad bit if battery life. It all depends on how many emails you get. I don't get a ton. I receive maybe 10-20 a day. I was at 48% battery with being 15 hours off the jaeger and five hours of usage which was Agee phone calls, 10 emails, tons of texts, games, and forums.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Intermediate

Thanks alot for the insight guys. I really appreciate it.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

i have 2 email addresses pushing normally. on saturday and sunday i get about 100 per day. starting the day with 100% battery i get home with 70% battery. thats working from 7-7, getting email orders(approx 30 a day) personal emails, texting, tweeting, telephone calls and some gaming.

I think yesterday i was at about 4 hours usage 8 hours standby for my shift and only dropped about 30% battery. although this is my first real week with it, im curious how it does on my days off(i turn work push off and put it on manual and receive maybe 5 emails a day personal)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Intermediate

Are any of those a Microsoft Exchange account pushing Gmail?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Gmail is an Exchange account.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Gmail is an Exchange account.
    Thanks for that..
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

So perhaps I'm not understanding something here. Is there a way to make one of my email accounts push and the other one fetch only? It's important I get my work emails ASAP, but my regular gmail and stuff isn't urgent. If I could do that, would it save me some battery?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Only certain accounts will push on the iPhone. Exchange accounts, whether corporate exchange or gmail, will push. From what I understand, yahoo will also push. Most other accounts you have to fetch.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,143 Global Posts

Gmail, if you use the Gmail option is NOT push. It is IMAP and can only fetch. Gmail, if you want push, needs to be set up through Microsoft Exchange. It's easy. You just need to enter m.google.com as the server and use your full email as the user name. It will be a true push.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

But even if you setup Google Sync which is what they call their Microsoft Exchange Service. You can opt to push or fetch. You don't have to do push on any of these services that give you the option to.

I get way too many messages over 2 accounts and therefor Push uses too much battery for me. So, if you get a lot of email test it out and then go with the option that works best and provides the best battery life. I've never found that I get email that is so important that I need it pushed to me anyway, but that is just me.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by markhunsaker View Post
    Gmail, if you use the Gmail option is NOT push. It is IMAP and can only fetch. Gmail, if you want push, needs to be set up through Microsoft Exchange. It's easy. You just need to enter m.google.com as the server and use your full email as the user name. It will be a true push.
    When you do this, do you delete the gmail account you created? And is the option still NOT to push? And thank you for the tip!
    Last edited by kato10; 08-01-2010 at 10:42 PM.