Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Question How much data are you using per month?

i jsut got my iphone4 last night..wow you guys were not kidding, what a screen. amazing.

i have the 15 a month data plan. i surf a little, use facebook app, and i use google voice for text and calls. when i am home i always have wifi on. when wifi is on, is there no data being used my att for these programs to run?
    iPhone Nanite

When wifi is on none of the data used counts against your allotment since you aren't using the att network.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Thank you! i am hoping by using google voice (web based) when at work with no wifi, i wont exceed my usage.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

I would be pwn3d if I had either of the new plans...

Half way through my billing cycle and I have already used 2+gb

iPhone 4s 32gb 5.1.1
    iphone 4 16gb 4.2.1 JB via GP
    iPad 64gb 3g 5.0.1 JB via redsn0w
    ºoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoº

flick
    iMore Guru

What an odd screen shot! Did you hand write that?
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Nah... I have font swap using Simpson's text!
    iMore Guru

Can't find it in the app store.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

^^^^ LOL...app store smf.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

^^
    lulz...
    Chobbs.. Fontswap is available in cydia via a jailbraek.
    iPhone Newbie

You should be fine.
    iMore Guru

Oh it's a JB app. No wonder! Thanks anyway.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i've had my ip4 now for 3 weeks and have used 200mb.... out of my 2048!

I wont TOUCH the 2GB so i'm good! *i'm on wifi 80% of the time*
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

I've just got my very first iPhone (4 16GB) it's amazing. I came from a BlackBerry Bold and I don't care what anyone says it just doesn't compare to the iPhone WHATSOEVER.

I get 1GB of data but it's probably better to use wifi where necessary because it doesn't use data and it's free and unlimited, well that's what I am planning on doing.

Probably the wrong thread but I'm new to this forum...can anyone recommend some awesome apps.
    I've got ninja fruit, coin dozer, ebay, facebook, my orange (as I am on orange uk), talking tom (hilarious!) etc.

I want something that's addictive and entertaining and not too expensive as I'm skinted out until payday cos I bought the iPhone :-$ couldn't help it. SO PRETTY!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by dvigue View Post
    Thank you! i am hoping by using google voice (web based) when at work with no wifi, i wont exceed my usage.
    If you're using GV on a stock phone, it still uses your minutes. If you want free VOIP you can use GV/chat through Gmail on your computer, or use an SIP app that links your GV number with Gizmo or some other VOIP service.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5 GM

Yeah, as others have said, as long as you're connected to wifi, data used does not count against your monthly allowance. Just check on your data usage occasionally, and you shouldn't have a problem.
    iPhone Newbie

Default Definitely glad I kept unlimited

I used 2602 MB last billing cycle. It's hard to stay under 2 GB unless I am on Wi-Fi all the time.
    iPhone Newbie

I spend most of my time between my parents house, my grandparents house, my house, and work. All four of those locations have wifi. Even still, I upgraded from an original iPhone 2G direct to iPhone 4 and with the added speed and features I jumped from less than 200 MB a month to 1 GB in august. I got the phone mid july and usage jumped to 400 MB on me for that month.

Netflix for iPhone has only been out a week and I do like to stream some video content and catch up on some movies when I have some time. If and when netflix does video out for iPhone I am sure usage will spike even higher because then I can hook the iphone to any TV where ever I go.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

I'm jailbroken on t-mobile. I've still got my $19.99 unlimited bb plan, and I won't give that up for anything, lol.

Luckily, I can use wifi when I need to do serious browsing, which isn't often.
    iPhone Pro

I really don't use that much 3G data. I work from home and I am almost always on wi-fi. When I am out and about my data use is pretty small. Things like checking into Foursquare or doing status updates on FB or Twitter. All that said I am still not going to give up my unlimited plan for the simple reason that I would not be able to get it back. If ATT offered it even at a higher price point I might consider downgrading for now and then going back to it at some point in the future if I needed to.
    @SinCityMac on twitter
    Hardware: iPhone 4S 16gig black
    Macbook Pro
    iPad Mini 16gig wi-fi
    iMore Intermediate

My Cycle just ended on the 27 and I used 2,053,247 last month. Now that I have net flix, if I can get it running right on 3g I expect it to sky rocket.
    Steve Jobs created iCloud so he would have somewhere to go when he died and still be with Apple.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

Well... i'm on wifi a lot, so my usage isn't too much:

• Mar 10 - 907.4MB
    • Apr 10 - 845.7MB
    • May 10 - 860MB
    • June 10 - 772.4MB
    • July 10 - 515.7MB
    • August 10 - 551.3

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Used up 4.4 GB with 2 days left in billing cycle... thank god for unlimited data!!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

First month on iPhone 4: 2.2 GB

Unlimited data FTW
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by corinne View Post
    I'm jailbroken on t-mobile. I've still got my $19.99 unlimited bb plan, and I won't give that up for anything, lol.

Luckily, I can use wifi when I need to do serious browsing, which isn't often.
    I guess over the air data on T-Mobile would be good in a pinch. But isn't unlimited EDGE on a iPhone 4 kind of like unlimited DIAL UP on a Quad Core Mac/PC. I'm 20 days into 30 day cycle and i've used 2532MB. I couldn't imagine having the patience for that on EDGE. And yes, I have Wifi at Work and Home.
    Last edited by swooshme; 08-30-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

I'm never anywhere for more than a few moments where there is free WiFi, so I actually don't think I've ever used anything but 3G.

I have to say, though, with the Netflix streaming - BOY AM I GLAD I KEPT UNLIMITED! I've had my 3gs just over a year. The first few months I used about 1GB a month but after that I settled between 400 and 800MB, and even less once I got my new laptop a couple of months ago.

I had been very close to changing plans - in fact, I almost did last month I just forgot to do it. I was going to go to the 2GB/mo plan, which would have saved me five bucks a month and also made me eligible for tethering which I do not need on a regular basis but would have turned on just for a month at a time when I needed it (vacation, etc.).

Wow how things have changed in the last couple of weeks. First, I used 500MB streaming a few movies in the first two days of Netflix being available. I was a little shocked myself. I watched like two movies and a couple of episodes of a TV show. I can use my iPhone at work for music/video, but I've never bothered much with video because it's a pain to transfer over shows for 1-time watching, and how many times do I need to watch Star Trek on digital copy. With Netflix streaming, though, it's amazing - while I'm working away I can watch virtually anything I want (plus it's finally given use to the landscape mode of my iZel stand).

In addition, Virgin Mobile just put up their 3G Unlimited for $40/month. You just buy their little dongle for like $80, and pay-as-you-go for the $40 internet. That's ideal, because I'd probably only need it 2 or 3 months out of the year and wouldn't have to bother changing stuff with AT&T all the time (which always seems to cost more than it should when you change features). So there goes my need for tethering.

I will be very curious to see how much data I use this month because of Netflix. Either way, I feel like I made the right choice staying unlimited.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast