DIY iPhone 4 Steadicam

AEtherDrinker

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I for one am not super thrilled with Apple's antenna solution today, even if I am glad they did something about it. But to focus on something fun for the iPhone instead, here's a little project I just completed:

h t t p : / / tinyurl.com/2epl2dl
(I had to space out the first part of the url because I'm too new to post links)

It's a pretty easy to make ~$30 steadicam that can help get some really cool footage with the iPhone (especially if you have steadier arms than me). I put up a demo video with some local pro skaters, and a video tutorial. It's not much more than a bit of geeky fun, but if you like shooting video with your phone then it might come in handy.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Hey I was thinking about this sort of thing a while back. Great job. A couple of comments/questions:

1) Your test video seemed to have a lot of stuff with you being stationary and maybe doing some panning, but to really show this off I'd like to see some samples of you running up/down stairs with it, etc.

2) Is the gimbal just needed for the (optional) handle? If I can live without a handle, do I just have a single solid bar connected to the iPhone with the two counterweights at the bottom? If it's needed regardless of the handle, how would you hold it? Above or below the gimbal? I think I've seen other DIY steadicams (not for the iPhone) which didn't seem to have a gimbal. Example: $14 Steadycam The Poor Mans Steadicam

Last edited:

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah...too much effort, but cool nonetheless. Since I'm just shooting video randomly, I'll stick to uploading to iMovie '09 and using the stabilization feature.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2